Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 ... 1574

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2369426 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #16425 on: February 08, 2016, 08:46:32 pm »

Oh god, mimics. I ran into one somewhere, and it ate me because I didn't know it was a mimic before I opened it. I went back to it, armed with the power of knowledge and hit it in the back so it couldn't eat me. Instead, it bit at the air as if I was still in front of it, and I was teleported back into that region as it happily ate me again. I eventually beat it by standing all the way on the other side of the damn room.

Still not as bad as the Plesioth from Monster Hunter.

Haha that is exactly what happened to me except I just decided to move on instead of messing with wonky hitbox monsters.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16426 on: February 08, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »

I'm sorry From Software, but no one liked the dogs in the first game for a reason. Seriously, this is ridiculous. Enemy with a hitbox that you can't actually hit because it's too low for half of the attacks, stick 4 in a room with 2 archers above and some floating knight jackass, and everyone who plays it "loves the challenge" and will tell me to "git gud" because I die during this bullshit (and then come back with even less likely chance of winning because I have less health because that's good gameplay how?) despite the fact that I beat the first with not even half as much difficulty. First one's fine; first one's fun. This one's not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, that's why its generally not recommended to play Scholars of the First Sin unless you're packing extra lube.

Also protip: The floating knight jackass just kinda fucks off if you run to the other side of the courtyard
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16427 on: February 08, 2016, 10:16:24 pm »

Yeah, that's why its generally not recommended to play Scholars of the First Sin unless you're packing extra lube.

Is it really that bad? Is it worse than the vanilla DS2? As a simple general fan of the series, I just wanted to get the game for more dark souls (even if it's got its foot in the right place). Is it not even good for that?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16428 on: February 08, 2016, 11:40:08 pm »

Is it really that bad? Is it worse than the vanilla DS2? As a simple general fan of the series, I just wanted to get the game for more dark souls (even if it's got its foot in the right place). Is it not even good for that?

The general vibe I got from Scholars was that it was specifically made for people (like me) who had beaten and where familiar with DS2 but wanted a new challenge. It has quite a few brutal areas (especially early game) that I imagine would be extremely difficult for people not already used to fighting most of these enemies.

Really I probably would recommend Vanilla DS2 over Scholars if you've played neither, unless you're feeling a tad masochistic.

Though Scholars does come with the new lore and all the DLCs (which I haven't actually played but I've heard nothing but good things about them) so eh...

The knight, incidentally, isn't the issue. He's just kind of there. Dogs are what killed me the most times before he even showed up in the first place.

If you're having trouble with the dogs I'd recommend taking it slower, pull one or two at time with ranged weapons or something, but that'll just give Pursuer more time to kill you so...... git gud?  :P

You could try going the other away around. There is a locked door in the Forest of the Fallen Giants that you should be able to open if you've beaten the last giant. This will eventually lead to the other side of the Lost Bastille and circumvents that courtyard completely and lets you get at the boss. Though that boss is generally considered one of the hardest in the early game so I'm not sure if you'll fair much better that way.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16429 on: February 08, 2016, 11:46:12 pm »

Both pertinent to the conversation and accurate: ice rats. They're bonewheel skeletons crossed with dogs, with an extra dose of fuck you.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16430 on: February 08, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »

Issue is that past that locked door is yet another door requiring a seal or something; that, or we're talking wrong door here.

Theres like 6 locked doors in Forest of the Fallen Giants. Yeah, one of them just leads to a door that you need the King's Ring (a very late game item) to open.

The one I'm talking about is in the room with the giant sword sticking out of it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16431 on: February 09, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »

Doing an awesome job stealthing my way through a mission.  I'm at the VIP's cell and just about to hack the door.  I imagine my stealth will drop the moment the door is hacked and place soldiers in strategic positions and overwatch.  Though I do consider it a bit odd how many aliens my squad can see clearly from inside the building.

I hack the door, and... my squad is ripped apart.  It seems that all the walls and floors are not only made of paper, they are somehow see and shoot through as well. only the sharpshooter on the roof seems to have anything even remotely resembling real cover.  Clearly a devious trap set by the aliens and not a mapping bug in any way shape or form.

Xcom2
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #16432 on: February 09, 2016, 01:43:46 pm »

Failed to push my early advantage hard enough. Should either have teched into long swords and rams or just massed knights until I could crush their spearmen. Instead I did an in hindsight inefficient and barely-better switch to cavalry archers, since Spanish don't get crossbows. That decision probably set off the spiral of inefficiencies that lost me the game.

Didn't help that my map was atrocious. Just... Bad. Little wood, forward gold and stone.

AoE 2.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16433 on: February 09, 2016, 01:52:56 pm »

Whilst booming on vast amount of food, iron and gold, I have moved ahead of AI enemies, progressing from Renaissance to WW2 era so fast that most enemies were still fumbling in Imperial/Industrial eras (pre-Airplanes).

Then I began curbstomp, leisurely striking down 5 enemy nations.

I failed to notice that an Ottoman player have not only caught up to WW2 era, it had produced a nuclear Bomber as well and sent it my way.

I failed to kill it because a bunch of brave doughboys from some faction's leftovers took down my forward AA Guns.... and in my overconfidence I didn't make any actual P51 Fighters (just couple ME-262 Fighter-Bombers who were out the base anyway picking off enemy civilians).

The nuclear bomb detonated over one of my workers... right in the middle of all my mining operations. 30 civilians dead, and so were my barracks. I tried to recover buuuuut a rush of some snipers picked off every marine/mortar/civvie I made, and then a swarm of WW1 tanks rolled from one side and I could only watch my mighty advanced Japan Empire base crumbled to dust with ton of unused resources siting in stockpiles. My army tried to come back but it thinned out in the rush and didn't had enough firepower to take out the rusty enemy tanks.

*sniff*

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16434 on: February 09, 2016, 02:17:12 pm »

ever though on simply buying a new controller? :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16435 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »

You could get a $20 off-brand one, if you're talking about the PC version. Sure the buttons aren't as nice, but it works.

Meanwhile, MIRELURKS. My best bet to take them out was the sawed-off shotgun, as all my 10mm and 0.32 ammo is exhausted. However, the sawed-off shotgun takes approximately 10 trillion billion million years to reload, and that's not very good when a huge radioactive asshole is bearing down on you in a tiny cramped tunnel.

Fallout 3.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #16436 on: February 09, 2016, 06:21:19 pm »

PASSWORD?! OH GOD WHAT PASSWORD?! OH GOD OH NO OH GOD OH PLEASE NO nooo....

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16437 on: February 09, 2016, 06:24:16 pm »

PASSWORD?! OH GOD WHAT PASSWORD?! OH GOD OH NO OH GOD OH PLEASE NO nooo....

Heavens, it's been this long since the SNES and I still remember that.  That actually surprises me a little.  I suppose it speaks to how the scene in question affected me at the time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:30:34 pm by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16438 on: February 09, 2016, 09:05:34 pm »

Had to cross a bridge span, with a turret and two Super Battle Droid dispensers. The two dispensers are capable of having about 3 respawning droids each at a time, and the time to set the charge to destroy one is 20 seconds.

Sev got barely halfway there before going down. Then I got shot to pieces trying to revive him. Then the other two get shot up trying to revive me.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #16439 on: February 09, 2016, 09:10:31 pm »

The problem is that, right now, I am using an off-brand one that cost me $20. I'd rather not repeat this ordeal in another two years.
Get an on-brand wired Xbox 360 controller for ~$40.  Should work on DS 2 and all other PC games (someone please come in and correct me I'm wrong).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1094 1095 [1096] 1097 1098 ... 1574