Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371245 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #15945 on: December 06, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »

A team of me and some random Russian kids against a team composed 3/5 of smurfs. And then one of our guys got kicked because he kept shooting his teammates.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: December 06, 2015, 04:35:52 pm »

It was in a late-game encounter where you have the option to non-lethally deal with some opponents by only removing most of their health, as opposed to all of it. I assumed that that meant these enemies were pushovers and I should be careful with what abilities I used, since this character does 13-40 damage with her bare fists.

Maybe I built this character wrong, but that was not the case. In fact, it's probably be HARDER to do it the Dark Side way, since each one of these opponents qualifies as a miniboss in their own right, and you have to be doing quite a bit of damage to kill them and bypass the HP goal for the non-lethal route (you can't attack them after they're non-lethally stunned). Also, did I mention it's only one of you versus five of them?

Knights of the Old Republic 2, with The Sith Lords Restored Content mod.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: December 06, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

Doing the ridiculously hard VTOL training. After spending a good long while to get the bird airborne, and fly it, then land it, then do the attack training(almost used all my ammo before doing it), I had to land vertically on a carrier deck. Managed to actually get onto the deck, with the final objective flagged as complete. Then I slipped off, and exploded on contact with the water before the mission ended.

Now I have to do the whole thing over again. And unlike the previous training missions, you can't skip parts.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: December 06, 2015, 05:49:02 pm »

I've barely touched ARMA 2 for months, but I remember my problem with the helicopter in that game is that it's Sanic levels of fast. By the time I lined up a shot in the training scenario, I was already miles past the target and had to turn for another pass. Then I'd gently lean the helicopter forward so that the rockets are pointing at the target, only to go flying off away from the training area again.

It's... really not as good as the first Operation Flashpoint. Was ARMA 3 that bad as well? In general, not just the helicopter parts.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: December 06, 2015, 05:54:57 pm »

Haven't played Arma 3. I did find out that doing the training mission after the VTOL one did mark the VTOL mission as complete.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: December 06, 2015, 06:45:00 pm »

Replaying Monaco after not touching it for a year, so I only very vaguely remember the layouts.  Now, I find it very frustrating to die and re-enter a level as a new character, so I just restart when that happens.

Some of the later levels are a bit batshit in singleplayer.  I only beat the souped-up security corporation level by playing hacker.  Then, I come to the aquarium, playing as lookout.  The very first thing that greets me is a rocky beach, which means a lot of things that block movement but don't block bullets or LoS.  On this beach there are about 20 patrolling guards, some of which are machine gunners and some of which are, worse, doctors with tranq darts.  I get the hell out of there.  The two level aquarium is bad but not that bad; I manage to clear it out with some fancy footwork, although I have to use most of my gear and the level's medpacks to do so.  But the top level... its similar to the beach from before but with crates instead of rocks.  However, on the opposite side from the entrances is a bunch of stationary guards and rotating security cameras.  At the center of that mess is a single safe.  I try to clear it with smoke bombs but lasers apparently go through those and the machine gun turret pushes me off before I can unlock the safe.  I run back to a previous level to grab a wrench.  I make it back, with very little health, and get behind a pillar closest to the safe.  I rush out, unlock the safe with the wrench, and then JUST before getting back in cover I get shot once and die.

I was so close, that would have been epic...

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: December 06, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »

I was greedy, I wanted all of the guns, and no weak "Soviet army" was going to stop me.

I was finally stopped, 4 spetsnaz and 12 regular soldiers later.

When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: December 06, 2015, 08:59:33 pm »

One of the things added back by the Restored Content mod is the HK Factory dungeon, an area where HK-47 is the only playable party member. The upper area is kind of annoying but not too difficult; standard "run around to solve a puzzle while fighting enemies between destinations" thing that comprises most of KOTOR 2's dungeons.

Then, in the lower factory, you run into HK units. First they show up in groups of three, which are kind of tedious but not too difficult. Then you fight a group of six, which starts to get a bit hairy due to the sheer volume of fire coming at you every turn. Then the final encounter is a group of eight, which will probably drain any items that you haven't already used, because you constantly have to be re-upping your shields, and just a single round's worth of damage can be life-threatening. You'd think that that would be the final encounter, right?

Nope, there's still more after that. I finally died due to sheer attrition, slogging my way through a dungeon filled with enemies that are supposed to be occasional minibosses taken on by a full party.

Knights of the Old Republic 2, Restored Content mod.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: December 07, 2015, 02:10:03 pm »

The HK droids are incredibly annoying.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: December 07, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

I successfully summoned all seven Demon Lords to Elysium.  I accomplished that by savescumming, if I hadn't savescummed I'd certainly have a different story for this post.  There's seven demon lords and all but one or two can easily wipe out armies on their own, and if I'd failed to bind them they would've been free to wreak havoc across the world.  After killing me, of course.

So anyway, I had Belial, who starts each battle by attempting to charm the entire enemy army, usually succeeding with at least ten or fifteen of them, and Buer, the Goat Sun, who just scorches the shit out of everything, going off to hunt down and exterminate the last remnants of senator Camillus's holdings.  Camillus himself had been seduced by a succubus and killed by his own men, which is disappointing.  I'd hoped to capture him and bring him along in my army as a prisoner. 

Buer attacked a village for a couple more sacrifices per turn and found that the ruler of the village, a vampire, had a ruby scepter that made him immune to fire damage.  Which is all Buer does aside from his hooves. 

So my demon lord, probably the most powerful of all of them when it comes to just smashing through armies, who had more than 800 kills on his record by the time the game ended, was defeated in single combat by a vampire. 

That was only a minor setback of course and he came back once I had enough sacrifices to summon him again, and then I set him against the Hoburgs.

Conquest of Elysium 4
Shoes...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: December 07, 2015, 07:24:06 pm »

Darth Traya is... rather unfair. She knows how to spam Force powers, and also has a high enough Willpower to make the saves against your own.

KOTOR 2.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: December 07, 2015, 09:14:22 pm »

Darth Traya is... rather unfair. She knows how to spam Force powers, and also has a high enough Willpower to make the saves against your own.

KOTOR 2.
Oh yeah, I remember that fight. Pretty sure I won it after roughly 100 tries by repeatedly knocking her down (save-scumming for Force Pushes that weren't resisted). Then I discovered what the second phase of the fight entailed, went back to my save file, and planted every single mine in my inventory while she was knocked down. Cutscene starts, second phase begins, game freezes for 15 seconds, cutscene ends, major anti-climax boss fight ensues.

I should really replay that game some day, now that I sorta know what I'm doing...

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: December 07, 2015, 11:31:21 pm »

Eager to try my new class, I got cocky and decided to do the boss fight at the end of chapter three instead of getting back to New L.A. to buy new guns and swords. I also forgot to upgrade my new arts. So armed with basic weapons and basic arts I didn't last long in that fight...

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: December 09, 2015, 10:23:02 am »

I decided to be Hunter Scum for a bit on the ladder, then quickly regretted my decision as Reno Jackson swung in proclaiming his imminent affluence.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: December 09, 2015, 11:05:23 am »

Pre-emptive one:

I'm about to start Dark Souls for the first time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1575