Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2372274 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #15555 on: October 08, 2015, 01:16:25 pm »

ARMA 2's campaign would have been much better if they hadn't tried to make the squad AI have so much power over you rather than the other way around.  I got that game because of watching Shacktac gameplay and was very disappointed with how hard it was to have fun without being part of a huge gaming group.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15556 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »

They also put you in command pretty early, assuming that the second mission isn't just a one-off thing. That's when Operation Flashpoint started to fall apart for me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #15557 on: October 08, 2015, 03:13:13 pm »

They also put you in command pretty early, assuming that the second mission isn't just a one-off thing. That's when Operation Flashpoint started to fall apart for me.
It's not being put in command.
It's being put to babysit bunch of dumb AIs with even dumber AI serving as help (the helo pilot, etc), threw into half-empty BUGGY world where even dumber (how) civilian AI is there to fuck up your life. And then, when you're finally fed up with it and angry as hell, your whole team gets shoot by some dirty lumberjack with air gun from 5km away through two fucking forests...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15558 on: October 08, 2015, 03:57:00 pm »

I once had the blackhawk shot down by a fricken AA tank firing THROUGH an entire forest.  Horizontally, in case that wasn't clear.

I also had one of my squadmates run over by an allied tank.  Instant loss.

ARMA 2 isn't even a game, its a platform you have to build your own game on top of.  Not willing to put in the time to do that, then its not worth it.  Its especially bad for me because I despise that multiplayer defaults to allowing the third person camera, so I can't even play with most people.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #15559 on: October 08, 2015, 04:01:03 pm »

ARMA for me is about murdering my PC with huge wars and scripting stuff so it looks like a war movie. Sometimes playing with friends, though only if there's like organized scenario. Random ones are meh.
Also screwing around with Wh40k mods and laughing at the puny T-90s and M1s trying to do anything to my huge driving fortress that's spewing fire everywhere around.
EET EESS TEEEH BEEEIINBLEEEIDD!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15560 on: October 08, 2015, 06:04:03 pm »

If it's worth anything, ArmA 3 (But apparently it's legit just spelt Arma now) improved the way concealment works so that the AI can't see through foliage and stuff.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15561 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30:53 pm »

Yeah. I was going to buy ARMA 3, but that's still $60 where as ARMA 2 was only $12 and significantly older (thus likely to run better).

Maybe I should just have stuck with Operation Flashpoint. For all it's flaws, so far it's the better game (tank levels excluded).
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15562 on: October 08, 2015, 06:36:13 pm »

Yeah. I was going to buy ARMA 3, but that's still $60 where as ARMA 2 was only $12 and significantly older (thus likely to run better).

Somehow I came into possession of every Arma game. While my PC isn't the best, I'd say 3 runs about as good as 2.

Speaking of people who play on YouTube, Dslyecxi is how I got started. He's got some good stuff, including learning how to fly a helicopter to determine how realistic the Arma 3 flight model is.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:44:33 pm by Mephisto »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15563 on: October 08, 2015, 07:07:03 pm »

ARMA for me is about murdering my PC with huge wars and scripting stuff so it looks like a war movie. Sometimes playing with friends, though only if there's like organized scenario. Random ones are meh.
Also screwing around with Wh40k mods and laughing at the puny T-90s and M1s trying to do anything to my huge driving fortress that's spewing fire everywhere around.
I JUST CHOKED
THERE'S A FUCKING WH40K MOD FOR ARMA 2!?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15564 on: October 08, 2015, 07:29:47 pm »

Speaking of people who play on YouTube, Dslyecxi is how I got started. He's got some good stuff, including learning how to fly a helicopter to determine how realistic the Arma 3 flight model is.

BlueDrake42 is how I got started, although I never actually saw him playing ARMA. The game I watched him play was a mod for Battlefield called Project Reality, which I mistook for ARMA.

One of my favorite videos features a minutes-long APC ride, during which the occupants talk about foreign politics. You know your game is realistic when you have idle conversation during mass transit in multiplayer :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:35:06 pm by itisnotlogical »

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #15565 on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:47 pm »

Playing the map with the laser temples, and my team decides to attack the boss. Enemy team is waiting in a bush next to it. I ping danger, they keep attacking the boss. I'm playing stitches, so I pull one out of the bush.... teammates keep attacking the boss. I ping danger again, and try and run near the bush hoping my teammates will follow me... they keep attacking the boss. I get stunned and killed by the whole enemy team dumping on me at once.... and despite the fact that they can see this whole thing on their screen without scrolling unless they are playing on a monitor the size of a postage stamp.... THEY KEEP ATTACKING THE BOSS.

In what should be absolutely no surprise to anyone, the instant the boss dies the enemy team charges out, kills my whole team (which is half dead and out of mana), and steals the boss capture and we promptly lose the game. I don't even know what to say. That is seriously the stupidest thing I have ever seen a team do in any game ever, like... what were they thinking was going to happen? How did they not see it coming?

I'm not going to pretend I'm particularly good at the game, but it's depressing to think that the matchmaker thinks these guys are about the same skill level as me.

Heroes of the Storm
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15566 on: October 08, 2015, 11:50:39 pm »

I JUST CHOKED
THERE'S A FUCKING WH40K MOD FOR ARMA 2!?
Apparently. I recently came across footage of a Baneblade versus dozens of AI tanks. It's ridiculous; a Baneblade is, as Kot stated, supposed to be basically a fortress on treads. It's big and heavy and loaded with guns, including a main battle cannon that fires massive shells.

NOT IN ARMA2. In ArmA2, a Baneblade can turn on a dime while outracing lighter vehicles, flinging them into the air on collision, with a main gun that acts more like a machine gun than a big-ass cannon. I couldn't get past more than a minute of the footage because of that. About the only thing that matched canon was the tank's nigh-indestructibility.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15567 on: October 09, 2015, 04:38:27 am »

I don't have Arma 3. :C
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15568 on: October 09, 2015, 04:45:00 am »

Why did I pick a fight with an Avatar? Why did I pick a fight with an Avatar?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15569 on: October 09, 2015, 08:15:50 am »

The Arceans ascended to a state past that of our consciousness and so, I lost the game with the nasty words "How can we fight an enemy we can't see or perceive?".

Goddamnit Lord Vega. Protected by those nasty Rhinellans (a custom race i made out of the Turian super ability, human tech line and Paulos face - they were meant to be Queenslanders who had genetically altered themselves to have traits of the Cane Toads), the single biggest civilisation in the galaxy, no other race dared lift a finger to the tiny, economically and militarily weak Arceans. This meant that if I wanted to stop the Arceans winning, I had to go through the biggest, baddest civ in the match to even try and stop the Arceans.

I massed my forces at the Arcean-Drengin border. Emperor Iso of the Iconians tells me that "something must be done about those Rhinellans, they're too strong". Yes yes Iso, I realise you're suggesting I do the heavy lifting, despite you being more capable, and being the only civ with a stronger military than the Rhinellans.

Even for me, a small civilisation of a mere ten to fifteen planets, rolling the Arceans alone would take my outmoded fighters a matter of five turns for their first planet, and little more for the remaining ones. In reality, all I needed to do was knock out their unprotected Ascension Starbases, which would be doable by even my most pitiful fighter.

However, I had made one critical error.

Most of the Arcean civ was out of range from a friendly planet. That said, I could still conquer their most proximal planet to me, which would give me a foothold with which to range out to the other planets.

So I declared war.

Immediately, the Rhinellans broke their alliance with me, and came to the aid of the Arceans. I baulked at the screen for a few seconds.

The Thalan Empire, the Iconian Refuge and the Myrmecians (an ant race I made) then formed a coalition and all collectively attacked the Drengin Empire, an ally of mine.
As there was no way known I could fight the Rhinellans, Arceans, Thalans, Iconians and Myrmecians alone, I had to terminate the alliance with the Drengin. It was looking fairly grim against the Rhinellans until I unlocked a few key techs that gave me a boost in firepower.

I then got a very, very nice random event - engineers on one of my planets uncovered an old Ranger class starship, and with a bit of elbow grease got it up and running, calling it the Lucky Ranger.

The Lucky Ranger flew its maiden voyage out of Mars, along with four aged, outmoded M7 Phoenix class fighters (hideously weak compared to the Ranger, with something like 8hp, 0/0/2 0/2/0 offenses/defenses vs the Ranger's 180hp, 0/0/150 0/0/85 offense/defenses. For reference, I had just finished building an incredibly heavily built up starbase, as heavy as it would allow, and it had about 20/20/20 20/20/20 offense/defense and 65hp.) and one aged M3 Thunder.

The Thunder and the four Phoenixes screamed through Rhinellan space, accompanying the titanic Lucky Ranger as it edged closer and closer to the nearest foothold I could get in Rhinellan space to the Arceans: the planet Patroklos II. Two billion human soldiers were aboard troop transports safely in Drengin space, away from prowling Rhinellan Heavy Fighters and Rhinellan Frigates.

Meanwhile, the Drengin were fighting hard - their Super Dominator ability, normally underwhelming, came in handy against the coalition as they got a swathe of Corvette-class starships to fight off their foes. This was fairly mid-game, so Super Dominator was only just beginning to become weak.

The Iconians were fighting the brunt of the battles against the Drengin, and it was telling - a mid-year report from spies stated that the Iconians were suffering "death of a thousand cuts" - while incredibly powerful, the sustained war was draining the Iconian coffers, harming its economy and hampering research.

The Lucky Ranger came up against a swarm of Rhinellan frigates - six of them, that due to logistics could only encounter in groups of three. The Phoenixes were annihilated almost instantly, while the Lucky Ranger and the Thunder plowed on. It was quite hilarious to see the Ranger's ECM effortlessly deflect Rhinellan stingers, while firing off a gazillion missiles of its own, while the Thunder pewpewed about once every few seconds, and took no hits.

After all six frigates were defeated, I was able to advance on the orbiting ships of Patroklos II. Thunder and Lucky Ranger effortlessly wiped the Rhinellan Defenders from the planet's surface, paving the way for a ground invasion.

Two billion humans broadcast messages of information warfare, before descending onto the surface, where every Rhinellman, Rhinellwoman and any other able bodied frogmen things picked up a gun and fought. It helped that around a billion Rhinellans turned traitor and joined the Terran army, but we took Patroklos II and were preparing to set up for the invasion of Arcea when six billion Rhinellan troops swarmed Patroklos II before I could muster any orbital defense.

At this time, it was looking grim. Without Patroklos II, I had no means of assaulting Arcea. There was only twenty turns before the Arceans won, all because of the damn Rhinellans, who would lose the moment the Arceans ascended!

Then came this message.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's right. An evil civ surrendering to a neutral civ. The Drengin were losing too many planets, so they handed them over to the next evilest person left, which was me.

A pity, because the Arceans ascended before i got another transport up and running, and so I lost.
Pages: 1 ... 1036 1037 [1038] 1039 1040 ... 1575