Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371688 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #15525 on: October 05, 2015, 07:15:07 am »

Did a fairly long mission, which involved a lot of swimming - which in turn required a lot of grinding to get the necessary swimming skill - as well as stealth. Mission was a success, but all that swimming burned off nearly all my fat. I head over to a nearby pizza parlor, grab a few meals and leave. The game locks up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15526 on: October 05, 2015, 02:42:32 pm »

Five military snipers from all of the world's most elite special forces attempted to gun down a cowering alien 20 feet away. They all missed. The alien then shot one of them. Next round, FOUR military snipers from the world's most elite special forces attempted to gun down a stationary alien 20 feet way. They all missed...

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: October 05, 2015, 02:54:54 pm »

Yeah, all those X-Com-likes seem to do that. Personally, I think that if the aliens attack, we should just draft everyone we can, give them rifles, stand them in the open, wait for the aliens to charge, then let reaction fire deal with it.

It works for WH40k's Imperial Guard, doesn't it?

I think there's more to this that I should probably put in the Pet Peeves thread.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: October 05, 2015, 03:06:43 pm »

One of the things people consistently say they liked about the original Xcom is tracking the progress of individual soldiers and getting attached to their elites.  Which is kind of ironic considering the casualty rate in the original compared to its derivatives but anyway.  In the fantasy settings that are typical for games that have stat progression, you could increase the damage of attacks over time.  But in the modern setting of Xcom you don't have that option; contrary to what Gears of War would have us think bullets don't exit the barrel faster if they're shoved in the gun harder.  Plus, soldiers dying in one-two hits is also a feature of the sub-genre.  Can't make soldiers tougher with experience, can't make them hit harder; main way to distinguish them is aim.

Maybe someone should make an Xcom-like where the only way to kill aliens is to shoot them in weak spots.  So you have no hope of damaging them with indirect fire (fixing the main balance problem that has plagued every derivative ever), and it would allow your soldiers to feel elite even tho most rookie's shots just ping off harmlessly.  If weak spots were directional the game could even force you to flank specific enemies.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: October 05, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »

In original x-coms armour was directional.

In UFO Defence generally it was below was weakest, followed by back, sides, front.
In TFTD the sides were typically weaker than the back.

Triscenes had incredible stats but almost no under-armour, so you had to chuck grenades under them to kill them, for example.

EDIT: And while they still had a decent chance of OHKO, your troops could also increase HP, which increased survival chances, if nothing else.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: October 05, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »

I know.  The system I was suggesting was you HAD to hit a weak spot to score a kill.  In Oldcom you can kill everything from the front and mechanically its a pretty bad idea to try and flank for a number of reasons.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: October 05, 2015, 05:28:06 pm »

This was a while ago, but I just remembered it and laughed at it.

The first time, I was curbstomped. I didn't even get him to extend his axe.
Second time, got better. Got him to second form, and then died at the third.
Third time, almost got him. He was one attack from death, and I'd learned how to parry. So when he went into his attack animation, I fired my gun, assured in my victory...
Click.

Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: October 05, 2015, 11:11:00 pm »

I purchased an upgrade

a  c t  i v a t   e g r  a n d  m   a

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: October 05, 2015, 11:18:57 pm »

Mission 45: A Quiet Exit

Quite the misnomer. Particularly when the game just decides to throw you into the mission with no warning, so I was geared for stealth and not really ready for the ARMOURED VEHICLES EVERYWHERE SHOOTING YOU WITH DEATH.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: October 05, 2015, 11:26:27 pm »

Seriously.  At least if you equip a proper weapon before the checkpoint, it'll remember that.

That fucking mission still took me about 40 minutes after the checkpoint, though.  For the FINAL attempt, after literally countless attempts.  At least 30.  The solution was absurdly tedious and made it hard to give a shit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: October 05, 2015, 11:38:41 pm »

The mission started out alright, managed to extract the first three or so vehicles, but after that it was just not happening.

You get the rocket volley after the checkpoint, then the tank popping you from a distance while the APCs roll up to tag you with their machine guns. Just gimme a second to breathe, eh!?

I ended up just running behind the broken building, calling in the battle dress then the CGM (I think, it was the one that you can get multiple target locks with) and just sprinting around that and the two guard house things until I could see yellow with the NVGs.

Still took me another handful of attempts 'til I got it down though... I didn't even wait for the lock-on before firing the last volley at the last vehicle, and I was soooo happy when it just went straight to the cutscene.

Not looking forward to attempting an S-Rank in that mission :))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: October 05, 2015, 11:50:37 pm »

Pretty much same.  Each attempt I rushed to the far hill to extract the artillery-vehicle.  As I sprinted back, killed some/all of the soldiers on my right (who had amazing nightvision considering their lack of goggles).
Then extracted the two APCs who would just be coming to a halt.  The second always managed to disgorge passengers, fortunately I had a rocket.

That's when the actual tanks arrived, and it got flipping tedious.
I used the GROM, since I hadn't upgraded any other launchers.  The fricken cannon on those tanks swivels absurdly fast.  And the worst part is, they're inaccurate...  But the shells have massive kill-radius.  So I eventually learned that cover was a *trap*, that you have to immediately flee to the other side of the building.

Pew *slog to other end of building* pew *slog to other end of building*
Worst goddamn mission, even worse than Metallic Archaea or whatever it's called.
(marginally)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: October 06, 2015, 07:24:48 pm »

>FIGHT!
>Curbstomp first phase of boss.
>Start building up buffs and such.
>Boss weak point is revealed!
>Use all TP to unleash a massive attack stronger than anything I've ever used!
>Boss unimpressed
>Warped Savior used Ragnarok!
>The adventures have fallen...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: October 06, 2015, 07:27:37 pm »

Which boss was this? I can think of at least 2 phase-based bosses.

EDIT:

Also, similar death:

-Destroy bosses arms
-Go to town because it can't attack effectively
-Boss regenerates arms. Still at about 7/10 hp.
-Use up all TP-restoring items and Nectars
-Bring boss health bar down to 0
-Celebrate...
-Final form. New health bar.
-Attack attack attack
-...Boss returns to first form with 1/3 hp
-Boss takes out healer.
-TPK

Etrian Odyssey 4.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:31:32 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: October 06, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »

Which boss was this? I can think of at least 2 phase-based bosses.

EDIT:

Also, similar death:

-Destroy bosses arms
-Go to town because it can't attack effectively
-Boss regenerates arms. Still at about 7/10 hp.
-Use up all TP-restoring items and Nectars
-Bring boss health bar down to 0
-Celebrate...
-Final form. New health bar.
-Attack attack attack
-...Boss returns to first form with 1/3 hp
-Boss takes out healer.
-TPK

Etrian Odyssey 4.

Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 1575