Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2370456 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #15105 on: July 17, 2015, 11:03:16 am »

Scholar's mate is extremely common in tournaments here, too. I find it a bit insulting to be honest when people use it on me. I still haven't figured out how to punish people for attempting it. I mean, I'm a high-rating player, stop trying to use scholar's mate on me pls.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:06:08 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #15106 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:43 am »

Against a new player (as in, one I haven't faced before) I always use a slight variant of that move to see how good they are. If they fall for it, I probably have nothing to worry about, if they actually deal with it properly then it might be a fun game.

There's no real way of "punishing" it, aside from it being generally worse than other openings they could have gone with, but depending on the specific variant they use you can gain a massive tempo/board development advantage by pushing their queen back in the correct sequence.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15107 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:56 pm »

I, King Johaan Thorbrandr, rightful ruler of the petty kingdom of Jorvik, had just established a Norse Pagan holding in the Northumbrian region of northern England. We descended upon the Pomeranian coast from our longships, thirsting for Slavic blood and gold; a thousand Viking raiders strong. Accompanying our cleverly-installed Germanic brothers-in-arms from Pomerania itself, twin armies crossed the river Elbe to strike at the weak heart of local Slavic holdings. Though bastard Feudal lords in spirit, nearly a thousand men strong, we thought them an easy adversary. We were mistaken!

Our pincer movement successfully wedged their 980 men as we began firing our volleys. Two Germanic Kings rode the front lines, boosting morale for the battle ahead. A skilled flanker struck the left, while a battlefield terrain master charged the right - victory seemed assured! Our men screamed and cursed as the lines crashed together, shield-for-shield; fighting an uphill battle in the rough Slavic highlands. For every man we lost, the fools lost two! 1,600 zealous Norsemen hammered at the bastards, and for a moment the odds churned in our favor... Without warning, my right-flank commander, a true master of all terrain, was pierced through by fated arrow. Staggered, he could not have seen the Slavic King's approach from his rear. Two masters of narrow flank tactics collided, and the weakened Norseman fell with ease. Our right flank lay severed as the front lines were cleaved by charging horsemen and a maelstrom of arrows! Our infantry outnumbered theirs two-to-one, but charging uphill against horsemen and archers depleted our numbers to match theirs. Then, in a final stroke of misfortune, the Slavic King shattered the remaining left flank - bringing his full might to bear against the remaining central lines. Three Slavic commanders struck simultaneously at the last 500 Norsemen, worn down to a few archers and a cluster of mixed infantry. I watched my countrymen fall, one-by-one, the enemy lines surrounding us as our shield-wall slowly returned to coast. Our ranks battered and bloodied in a battle clearly lost, Two wounded Norse Kings staggered back to their longships that day, as a petty Slavic lordling laughed in triumph... 

...But the insult would not stand! Though divine fate denied us a clear victory, his holdings would soon burn; his relatives slaughtered in the rituals of the Great Blot! Two years hence, his lands now lie in Norse hands, his titles' claimants executed all but for his youngest daughter and living heir... A fine Slavic lass, quick of mind, who shall make a grand concubine upon coming-of-age... As for the foolish Slavic lordling? Upon the day his wounded body is discovered rotting in the depths of my dungeon's Oubliette, his severed, eyeless, head shall adorn a Norseman's spear at the forefront of those conquered lands - where his bloated, necrotic tongue shall speak the unspoken words of Viking warfare: "Never taunt an angered Norseman!"

Spoiler: Game & Players (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:39:53 pm by Ehndras »
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15108 on: July 17, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

Donald Trump scared me away, straight into Obama.

:(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15109 on: July 17, 2015, 04:05:25 pm »

The Eggbeater, and me without fireforce

Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: July 17, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »

Donald Trump scared me away, straight into Obama.

:(

Topical.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: July 17, 2015, 11:46:11 pm »

Against a new player (as in, one I haven't faced before) I always use a slight variant of that move to see how good they are. If they fall for it, I probably have nothing to worry about, if they actually deal with it properly then it might be a fun game.

There's no real way of "punishing" it, aside from it being generally worse than other openings they could have gone with, but depending on the specific variant they use you can gain a massive tempo/board development advantage by pushing their queen back in the correct sequence.
I guess I'm just annoyed by them because I myself am pretty bad with the actual mating. Luckily, I'm pretty good at building advantage so most of the time if I don't make a critical blunder the endgame either result in both of us being evenly matched, or me having a ludicrously massive advantage. Either way, the actual mating part is still kind of messy and overly long.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: July 17, 2015, 11:54:29 pm »

I myself am pretty bad with the actual mating
Yeah same here :P

But really yeah, I'm awful at chess puzzles.  They're probably a good way to learn to spot mates though.
(if you're into smart people)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: July 18, 2015, 12:11:35 am »

I was a dumbass and went into a level 8-10 area at level 7. On Hardcore. On the hardest difficulty level. As a melee class. Promptly died to an elite pack of a giant zombie with shielding fast skeleton minions.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: July 18, 2015, 12:14:13 am »

Not very good at chess myself, but I can play it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: July 18, 2015, 12:42:24 am »

Tiruin, thinking of you trying to play Planetside with that net of yours makes me cry.

I'd like to play with you guys, but... Y'know, I live in Aus. Yay.

Because Planetside 2's population is so tiny, most of Asia has to play on either the US West or Australian servers. The Australian server itself has about 150 people on at any given time.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: July 18, 2015, 12:45:47 am »

Wow, it's gotten that bad, huh?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: July 18, 2015, 01:17:07 am »

Wow, it's gotten that bad, huh?
Look at it this way: More time to yourself to go sabotage the other bases for free xp! :P
...Yeah its lonely :/
[though I believe Reudh is talking about very powerful elites who go online on the Aus server, last I know...]

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #15118 on: July 18, 2015, 01:53:54 am »

Just got humbled by a Platinum League (1 rank below Diamond (Highest)). I'm in Advanced League (Quite a few ranks below them (rank 3)). Latest round was up against that, plus a Silver League. This chicken got fried.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: July 18, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »

Scholar's mate is extremely common in tournaments here, too. I find it a bit insulting to be honest when people use it on me. I still haven't figured out how to punish people for attempting it. I mean, I'm a high-rating player, stop trying to use scholar's mate on me pls.
It's definitely sub-par, but not completely surprising.  Wayward Queen has apparently been used in professional tourneys by a grand master (albeit only one such player); it and other variants on Scholar's Mate basically all work because the Black king-side bishop pawn is in an extremely weak position at game start, and because while overdeveloping the queen in the early game is typically completely amateurish, the queen and bishop combined put pressure on Black, and if they moved Qh5 instead of Qf3, they can even do it without sacrificing their kingside knight's mobility.  If you're looking for punishment, though, developing your pieces (to also defend your own king pawn if you pushed it forward to 5, actively taking the center of the board, and then pushing threats against the White queen if she's been left to swing will cost White momentum and should really be enough.  There's no fancy, elegant single-stroke kill that I'm aware of which would beat White's face in the fact that it's typically a bad idea, though; it's unfortunately a gradual unfolding situation that they may not realize is tied back to their first three moves. 

EDIT: Made a minor mistake by skipping words.  The king-bishop pawn (F7/KB2) is in a weak position, not the king pawn. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:30:59 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1575