Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2379338 times)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #14670 on: May 28, 2015, 06:12:15 pm »

Damn, now I need to play XCOM again... Did they fix the enemies spawning in your face bug, by the way? (Enemy squads had set places to "patrol", which meant they teleported to them sequentially. Even if you were standing there, so long as you didn't spot them previously. I had a group of elite mutons teleport into my squad and with their free move instantly wipe out half my team, that's when I said 'f**k that, I'm savescumming')
They did, at least in the expansion. Don't know about it otherwise.

Too bad the game is shit.

On topic: Stepped on two land mines while holding in the down key. So ends the life of Kruniac XXVII (Yes, that makes 27 characters dead so far)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: May 28, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »

I'd climbed to altitude and began my patrol when one of the tanks call in a spot on a rail walker, I traversed and got my first plasma salvo off about the time I got lit up. he took out my tail rotor just as I finished reloading. Got a nice view of his command chair rolling around on the ground on deathcam

Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: May 28, 2015, 06:52:26 pm »

Yeah. I still remember my first chrysalid map in XCOM Enemy Unknown.

Previously, on XCOM: Our troops have finally started steamrolling through the enemy. So far, it seems this alien attack can be held back. It seems in a few months we might even counterattack!

Today, on XCOM: The squad was sent to a town under attack. The sniper covered two entire streets from full cover. Two assaults went in to clear the first large building, while a rookie stayed somewhat behind to cover their backs, should anything come.
Well it came. At blinding speed and with a load of health, while the civilian counter just dropped.

And yeah, a cyberdisk alone is pretty devestating. Why the hell does it even gain half cover for flying in the open?

Then there's that ghost town mission. Luckily, I was way more careful and my sniper also had almost full map coverage. I got a bit scared when a chrysalid decided to somehow spawn not far from him, but it was fine in the end. I dunno if I lost someone or not.

Damn, now I need to play XCOM again... Did they fix the enemies spawning in your face bug, by the way? (Enemy squads had set places to "patrol", which meant they teleported to them sequentially. Even if you were standing there, so long as you didn't spot them previously. I had a group of elite mutons teleport into my squad and with their free move instantly wipe out half my team, that's when I said 'f**k that, I'm savescumming')

Yeah, that mission in Norway was a clusterfuck, but I did kinda see it coming thanks to the Lovecraftian atmosphere. But when that mission came up in my Long War playthrough? Fuck no. No no no no nooooooo. Not going anywhere NEAR that place. Nuke the goddamn town from orbit for all I care!

But man, I am loving the hell out of XCOM Long War! It kicks my ass from here to next week with routine missions, but it's so much damn fun. Except when I get fed up with bullshit and ragequit.

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: May 28, 2015, 06:55:11 pm »

Yeah. I still remember my first chrysalid map in XCOM Enemy Unknown.

Previously, on XCOM: Our troops have finally started steamrolling through the enemy. So far, it seems this alien attack can be held back. It seems in a few months we might even counterattack!

Today, on XCOM: The squad was sent to a town under attack. The sniper covered two entire streets from full cover. Two assaults went in to clear the first large building, while a rookie stayed somewhat behind to cover their backs, should anything come.
Well it came. At blinding speed and with a load of health, while the civilian counter just dropped.

And yeah, a cyberdisk alone is pretty devestating. Why the hell does it even gain half cover for flying in the open?

Then there's that ghost town mission. Luckily, I was way more careful and my sniper also had almost full map coverage. I got a bit scared when a chrysalid decided to somehow spawn not far from him, but it was fine in the end. I dunno if I lost someone or not.

Yeah, that mission in Norway was a clusterfuck, but I did kinda see it coming thanks to the Lovecraftian atmosphere. But when that mission came up in my Long War playthrough? Fuck no. No no no no nooooooo. Not going anywhere NEAR that place. Nuke the goddamn town from orbit for all I care!

But man, I am loving the hell out of XCOM Long War! It kicks my ass from here to next week with routine missions, but it's so much damn fun. Except when I get fed up with bullshit and ragequit.

The ghost town was in Newfoundland, I think. It's not so hard with a sniper with a plasma sniper, Squadsight, and In the Zone. Then it's just a shooting gallery. I don't play Long War (because I only have XCOM on a console), but I'd like too.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: May 28, 2015, 07:06:13 pm »

Long War changes a lot.  It adds options, but increases the base difficulty a lot.  I've completed vanilla about 3 times on normal, and Long War normal seemed only a bit harder... until the first terror mission.  It was completely overwhelming.  I know there's a mechanic for freeing nations, but I hadn't captured an outsider shard yet.  I wasn't particularly close.  I think the nation I lost happened to be a large component of my income, too, so I got unlucky in that respect.

I do want to give it another go, but it's seriously difficult.  Which, to some extent, means tedious...  Though properly utilizing the new tools probably mitigates most of that.  I honestly don't know why they made it so difficult on "normal", though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: May 28, 2015, 07:10:57 pm »

What gets me with Long War is the "long" part.  I already felt that the base game dragged a bit, so... yeah.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: May 28, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »

Long War changes a lot.  It adds options, but increases the base difficulty a lot.  I've completed vanilla about 3 times on normal, and Long War normal seemed only a bit harder... until the first terror mission.  It was completely overwhelming.  I know there's a mechanic for freeing nations, but I hadn't captured an outsider shard yet.  I wasn't particularly close.  I think the nation I lost happened to be a large component of my income, too, so I got unlucky in that respect.

I do want to give it another go, but it's seriously difficult.  Which, to some extent, means tedious...  Though properly utilizing the new tools probably mitigates most of that.  I honestly don't know why they made it so difficult on "normal", though.

Well the reason it's so hard on normal is the original normal actually had some pretty severe nerfs on the aliums AI routines (They would not use abilities when it would benefit them, didn't use grenades even when they had them sometimes), while long war removed those nerfs IIRC. One the other hand, Long War is also designed with losing a fair bit of missions in mind, and having multiple squads kitted out. There's a sucker-punch mission in the first month IIRC that is supposed to hammer that home.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: May 28, 2015, 07:32:47 pm »

What gets me with Long War is the "long" part.  I already felt that the base game dragged a bit, so... yeah.

LW comes with a Second Wave option called 'Not-So-Long War', which is about as long as a vanilla game - just with more boot-to-ass.

The ghost town was in Newfoundland, I think. It's not so hard with a sniper with a plasma sniper, Squadsight, and In the Zone. Then it's just a shooting gallery. I don't play Long War (because I only have XCOM on a console), but I'd like too.
Ah, Newfoundland, right.

Yeeeaaah, a plasma sniper would have been nice, but the mission - both times I encountered it - rocked up when I was still dealing with quite-low-level dudes and ballistics/early beams. First time was easy, since shotguns at close range are hilarious when paired with melee-only critters and the automatic reaction fire ability for Assaults.

But in Long War? Hell, the first terror mission wrecked my shit with chryssalids so I give redoing it a big fat nope. When three zergling jerks can murder the shit out of my guys and the zombies soak up bullets like sponges, fighting five billion of them sounds like an exercise in futility and swearing.

Mind you, at least when fighting Chryssalids I don't have to worry about my guys spending time in the med bay.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: May 28, 2015, 08:52:25 pm »

LW comes with a Second Wave option called 'Not-So-Long War', which is about as long as a vanilla game - just with more boot-to-ass.
That... sounds worth playing.  I'll have to check it out.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: May 28, 2015, 09:24:54 pm »

Even though I'm slowly getting used to Daggerfall again, I will never abide by the fact that Daggerfall will stick enemies around corners where you can't see them on first entering the room. Especially silent enemies, like humans. Skyrim has pampered me for far too long with loud, obvious bandits :'(

Daggerfall.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:17 pm »

I was on a balcony and jumped to my death

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: May 28, 2015, 09:59:18 pm »

Spoiler: "Goodbye" (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: May 28, 2015, 10:01:42 pm »

Even though I'm slowly getting used to Daggerfall again, I will never abide by the fact that Daggerfall will stick enemies around corners where you can't see them on first entering the room. Especially silent enemies, like humans. Skyrim has pampered me for far too long with loud, obvious bandits :'(

Daggerfall.

Might and Magic VI does that a ton too.  The worst part isn't that they ambush, but that certain enemies get "caught" around intentionally hinged corners.  Due to map design.  So there's an ambush - no big deal, take a few hits before backing out - but then they essentially take up positions on either side of the doorway and wait for you to assault.  The flanking is effective since most attack spells are some kind of AOE.  It's an interesting bit of simple AI performing an effective strategy.

And on topic, I kept dying (or reloading) due to the countless warlocks in the Superior(?) Temple of Baa.  The "insanity" status effect they cast barely matters (my casters regenerate MP from enchantments, not resting) but their attacks are painful.  And arch druids are just the worst...  They have a spell that removes ALL MP.  I have that spell too... IT DOES LITERALLY NOTHING, against enemies.  Like most status effects, bleh.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: May 29, 2015, 12:32:02 am »

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the large battles in Skyrim.

- Everything is the same color, so I end up hitting and killing friendly soldiers as often as the enemy
- Attacks send me sailing past enemies rather than into them, so they get off power attacks while I'm still turned around
- Friendly soldiers get in the way, shoot me in the back, etc.
- Enemies silently spawn behind me
- That stupid effect where things get darker if you're in the shadow

And so on. I've already died five times in what should be a small, simple mission.

Skyrim.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

blazing glory

« Reply #14684 on: May 29, 2015, 06:51:32 am »

Horay for 1000 pages of death!

EDIT:Huh, must've made a miscount on the amount of posts somewhere.

Or maybe the page system depends on the length of posts instead of the amount.

*Shrugs* I dun messed up.

EXTRA EDIT:Oh I see, a new page is generated for every 16 posts, not 15.

By my calculations! The next post will be page 1000!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:54:12 am by blazing glory »
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1575