Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2370517 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13830 on: January 26, 2015, 12:20:30 pm »

Dammit game, you can't reward me for exploring every nook and cranny for the first ten hours of the game and then put me in a level with fucking instadeath "you fall down the mountain" slopes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:44 pm »

I got eaten by a cerberus.  That wasn't a fail, it was actually part of my job in the raidgroup.  One party's job is to be eaten by the boss, stab some stuff on it's insides until it stops being a dick so the groups outside can chain it up again, get flushed to the exit, reappear under him, and then wait awhile while doing general mmo boss fighting stuff for the opportunity to rinse and repeat.   Simple.

Unfortunately only me and another dps actually seems to have known what they were doing when the pug raidgroup nominated our group to be nommed.  And no-one spoke up about it.  So thanks to no tanks and no healers getting eaten alongside us, me and the only other guy in our group who knew what they were doing got our asses handed to us by what essentially amounts to giant piles of fecal matter with eyes.  With noone inside to cause cerby to need some peptol, he just kept getting faster and faster until the raid wiped.

FF14
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:08:58 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: January 27, 2015, 03:37:57 pm »

Smashing tubines, my car starts burning, so I leave to knock one down with my hammer. It starts coming down, and I run.  I didn't run fast enough. That the whole thing toppled over in the direction I ran didn't help.

The only problem I had with that game was there aren't enough things to destroy. And certainly not enough of those smokestacks.
I recall there was a nice bit of modding which put the repair gun into single player, allowing you to knock things down to your heart's content.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13833 on: January 27, 2015, 05:13:14 pm »

Smashing tubines, my car starts burning, so I leave to knock one down with my hammer. It starts coming down, and I run.  I didn't run fast enough. That the whole thing toppled over in the direction I ran didn't help.

The only problem I had with that game was there aren't enough things to destroy. And certainly not enough of those smokestacks.
I recall there was a nice bit of modding which put the repair gun into single player, allowing you to knock things down to your heart's content.
That was actually a recent official update to the Steam version of the game, that included the repair gun for use once you had beaten the game once.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: January 27, 2015, 09:55:22 pm »

Not a personal death, per say, but my attempt just sucked. A lot.

I was hoping that I could kill the black knight with cuts and a catle fell on his head.

The catle just fell on his head. It fell on Nasir's head too. :c

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:59:27 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: January 27, 2015, 10:25:05 pm »

Was running north to gather some weapons and supplies. Decided that, since the server pop was low, I'd forgo the 40 minute swim and risk running the bridge. I get to the gap without incident, but on the last ladder before I'm safely back on the bridge, I get ArmA'd as I step off at the top. I fall through the bridge, through the platform at the bottom of the ladder, and into the sea. Bleeding heavily and in severe pain, I start swimming for the near shore. I pass out from the pain about ten feet from land and sink to the bottom. Thirty seconds or so later, I wake up, surface, and keep swimming.

I bleed out literally one more stroke from landing and being able to bandage myself.

Fuck ArmA. Fuck it so much. Fuck PCs that can't do anything but a slow-ass doggie paddle. Fuck ladders. Raeg. At least I had the foresight to go bare-bones, so all I really lost of note was the 9mm suppressor I had on my Beretta.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:38 pm »

A distant radar contact turned out to be heading towards me, rather than away. I didn't realize until it was too late to dodge.

ARMA: Cold War Assault, flying the plane.

EDIT:

The Puppet appeared while I was fighting Toy Freddy. Since I was already losing the fight with T. Freddy, there wasn't much I could do about the Puppet except mash Enter until it killed me.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:15:40 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: January 28, 2015, 03:10:30 am »

So I'm playing the TNT: Evilution wad for the first time in little bursts when I have the time. I didn't touch it after finishing The Plutonia Experiment because I had enough of CHAINGUNNERS EVERYWHERE.

I recently reached the first secret level, but the RPG RNG decided to throw me a hook and make the entire level poisonous. For the uninitiated: Constant toxic damage and radiation effect without a protective suit (which lasts 1 minute per use, cumulatively), but all enemies also take damage (Though Hell level difficulty means regeneration keeps them alive, the noise gives away ambushes) and have a chance to drop protective suits.

Now, I started with 10 suits that I brought with me, but being completely unaccustomed to the level, I had to work through each puzzle and ambush. That burned through a good number of suits with me. With 6 suits left, I entered an open clearing and cleared out the enemies. As I searched for the way to continue, I hit every switch I found and one of them caused the outer walls to drop.

Suddenly, Nightmare Cacodemons! Thousands Loads of them!

Engage Bob and Weaving. The area's large enough for me to dodge the majority of their hits, but the combination of gigantic projectile, long flight time, and AOE scorches me quite a bit. Finally, I manage to kill all of them except for that one I-just-killed-but-launched-a-projectile-right-before-it-died that smacked me right on and EMP'd my shield.

I cure the EMP effect and bring my shield up. As I head back inside the pyramid I take a Beam Cannon shot to the face from clear across the map dealing 400 damage to my 200 health and killing me instantly. A Nightmare Cyberdemon has come out to play. The load lands me right back to the point I teleport back, but before I enter the pyramid.

Before I go any further, let me explain my character set up.

I'm playing as the Renegade class, which:
A. Fires 50% more pellets with shotguns.
B. Switches Weapons Instantly.
C. Has 50% more armor protection, up to 80%.

I managed to win a rare shield accessory via rare item gamble wheel, which disables regular shield regeneration, but replenishes shield power by 25% of a killed enemy's health. Thus, I minmaxed my shield, effectively giving me 4000 health. I didn't put any stat points into defense or vitality, focusing more on strength and agility (throwing points into luck and capacity when able).

I have two main weapons, a Unique shotgun and an Overcharged Plasma Shotgun. I have a minigun to save shells (though it eats up bullets like crazy), and the other three are just fodder that I pick up. My armor is a prototype battle suit, which offers mediocre protection, but has a built in minigun that fires independently from the weapon in my hand. My boots are grappling plasteel boots, which helps with the issue of knockback.

Now, the problem is that getting EMP'd completely zeroes out my shield regardless of whether I had 4000 points or 1; and no way to replenish it due to having already killed all enemies I could reach. I could switch shield parts, but I'd have to wait for it to regenerate, which is not an option while in a toxic hazard zone with a diminishing supply of suits.

So back to the N! Cyberdemon, I manage to avoid getting killed while going in (the entrance was straight and narrow). Initiate series of battles where I spend my remaining suits dodging bouncing plasma cores, missiles, and beam cannon fire while trying to cut through 45,000 regenerating HP only to slip up and get one shot.

Then seventh attempt, I get gored by the AOE of a missile shot, leaving me with 12 health, but I manage to beat him; and as I run towards the dropped loot everything goes dark.

One day, a marine will find the remains of that battle. As he/she sorts through the ashes and finds a corpse, eaten away by the toxic fumes. They'll wonder how he/she died of toxic waste, while holding a slightly charred protective suit.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: January 28, 2015, 04:29:30 am »

WHAT MOD ? THE METEORS WILL STRIKE YOU IF YOU DO NOT ANSWER!

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: January 28, 2015, 04:33:40 am »

That seems like something out of Doom (the series, or the Roguelike?)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: January 28, 2015, 04:40:14 am »

Yeah, it's from the Doom series, but he's most certainly using a mod of sorts.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: January 28, 2015, 05:31:36 am »

That would be DoomRPG, I presume, as mentioned here

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: January 28, 2015, 03:52:09 pm »

Yeah, even if you've mentioned the game/mod before, it is generally good form to mention it again for the people who might now remember your previous death
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: January 28, 2015, 06:11:57 pm »

I was hoping that I could kill the black knight with cuts and a catle fell on his head.

It's a time based thing IIRC. Take too long to beat him and the castle collapses with you getting Ena on the next mission. Beat him quickly
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:31 pm »

It's a time based thing IIRC. Take too long to beat him and the castle collapses with you getting Ena on the next mission. Beat him quickly
I know, I walkthrough'd it. :P
It actually depends on whether or not Aether activates twice in eight exchanges. That's assuming you can get Mist to heal you adequately (which requires either her to get the skill for Physic or to be a Valkyrie due to mounted movement;) if you don't you waste time healing with Elixirs so the Black Knight doesn't kill you with his next shot. Aether has a maximum chance of activating at 27%, meaning that winning on your first shot is difficult indeed.

It doesn't matter anyway now, because I beat the game about an hour ago. Practically solo'd the last level, too.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1575