Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371490 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13635 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:21 am »

"Fast" speed in KQ1 means "jump to lightspeed when you gently brush the arrow key". I went across 3 screens in the blink of an eye, got intercepted by a grey blob (I guess it was the wolf) and died. Hooray for modern processor speeds!

King's Quest 1.

Use DOSBox with set value of processing speed.

Voila problem solved v:

Does that also effect the few timed events in those games? I know I've seen them have problems with some timing being too fast even when the game runs at the right speed with movement.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: January 04, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

"Fast" speed in KQ1 means "jump to lightspeed when you gently brush the arrow key". I went across 3 screens in the blink of an eye, got intercepted by a grey blob (I guess it was the wolf) and died. Hooray for modern processor speeds!

King's Quest 1.

Use DOSBox with set value of processing speed.

Voila problem solved v:

Does that also effect the few timed events in those games? I know I've seen them have problems with some timing being too fast even when the game runs at the right speed with movement.

I don't think KQ1 does, but a lot of weird things were based on processor speed back in the day. I'd suggest to just fiddle around with the cycles setting in DOSBOX if something seems to be going too fast or too slow.

There's a minigame in a Leisure Suit Larry game where you had to lift weights, and the amount you had to do it was based on your processor speed. Players on modern PCs need to lift the weight thousands of times unless they slow down their computer.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:36:41 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: January 04, 2015, 01:10:42 pm »

Goddamn Brain of Cthulu. First attempt, I had too little mobility. Second attempt, I killed it in a surface battle by summoning it via the craftable token, but the Guide didn't recognize that I did. Third attempt, I build a rope ladder right down to where I spawned it, intending to run the fuck to the surface to and battle on my own terms. Bastard decided to teleport right into me, and by the time I got out of that, I was almost dead. Then it teleported to the top of the ladder while its Creeps attacked from below, cutting off the mobiliy.

I don't there's enough orbs left to smash to properly summon it again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: January 04, 2015, 05:23:50 pm »

Alternatively, throw molotovs everywhere.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: January 04, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »

Not my death personally, but Dark Souls:PTDE is basically dead as it always crashes after the intro cinematic and I have no idea why. :|

Ooooor it could just start working on the third try, that's fine too. Nevermind. :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:45:21 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: January 04, 2015, 05:47:57 pm »

You think that's bad? Try Dark Messiah. >_>

This is an older post from me explaining it...

Not particularly a game mechanic as the actual game itself is excellent (when it works) but as far as I can tell, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic only functions when it feels like it. Seriously. Run the game normally, it works. Quit the game, try to run it again, doesn't work. Change to XP SP3 Comp mode, it works. Quit and run again, it doesn't. Change back to normal mode, it doesn't work. Change to XP SP2 compatibility mode and it loads to the menu but crashes when you try to go in-game. Change to XP SP3 again, it works. Quit and try to run again, it doesn't. Go to XP SP2 comp mode and it runs perfectly this time for whatever reason. Quit and start up again, nope. Try Windows 2000 and 95 comp modes, doesn't work. Go back to XP SP2 it does.

Seriously, what the hell is up with this? It's like every time I start it up it RNGs for which compatibility mode it will work with.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: January 04, 2015, 06:29:50 pm »

First, an actual death. I'm a little rusty from not playing DS1 in a long while and even though I'm still pretty good with parry/riposting and general fighting, I got overconfident and tried to parry a Baldur Knight on the stairs when I had low HP. Things did not go well.

Second, apparently Dark Souls doesn't want to save the game. Maybe it's because I'm not signed in to my friend's list? If so that's stupid. Steam is online; I'm letting it download updates as I type, so I have no clue what else it could be.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:42 am »

8 Genestealers on Radar, decide to let them close the gap so that my Flamer can cook the lot of em. Genestealers can move a frightening 6 tiles a turn, but they need 7 to close the gap

Except I forgot genestealers don't suffer an extra AP penalty for turning when rounding a corner and they manage to close to the tile next to the Flamer. Flamers need a 1 square gap minimum to fire the flamethrower. Que entire squad of 5 Terminators getting eaten in the next 2 turns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: January 06, 2015, 12:14:46 am »

Absolutely idiotic AI. I wanted to have the Exile use Force Lightning on one group of mines and Kreia on the other, so I pause the game and set them both to do that.

As soon as I unpaused the game, Exile ran in to melee the mines and lost half of his HP. Apparently, switching between characters in combat causes them to clear any queued commands and just do whatever.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 + Restored Content.

Also, not really a death, but KOTOR2 keeps giving me Dark Side points for apparently neutral dialogue options. Kreia was making a point about the obedience of my party members and how influence can be a weapon and I agreed with her in a way that obviously evil, but apparently even acknowledging Kreia makes me a Sith. :-\
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:01:48 am by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: January 06, 2015, 02:12:32 am »

Yeah, the KOTOR games are kind of binary. There's no real gain to being neutral, and if you're good you're a perfect saint of holy perfection who purifies water by your mere presence, and if you're evil you're a despicable, vile person who tortures puppies and inflicts sickness on children. No real middle ground in the dialogue choices, y'know?
The circle is complete.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: January 06, 2015, 02:18:49 am »

I disagree.

EVERY game with a 'moral alignment' system plays out exactly that way. :P

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: January 06, 2015, 02:30:33 am »

The KOTOR ones in particular though. If you're evil, you're a Sith, no exceptions. It may just be the Star Wars games in particular but you can't be an evil non-Sith force user.

Also, some games have managed to pull a moral system off. I can't think of any, but I'm sure at least one has. xD
The circle is complete.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: January 06, 2015, 02:37:20 am »

Alpha Protocol did a pretty damn good job at it, though it wasn't exactly a "morality" system. Each major NPC you interact with has their own "friendship" meter and each NPC reacts differently to your character's actions. One might prefer the PC to be direct and to the point, others might prefer a slightly playful, even flirtatious PC. And you gain different benefits and downsides to having the NPCs either love you or hate you, so you can interact with all of the NPCs in any way you want to get the results you want.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: January 06, 2015, 02:44:23 am »

Yeah, the KOTOR games are kind of binary. There's no real gain to being neutral, and if you're good you're a perfect saint of holy perfection who purifies water by your mere presence, and if you're evil you're a despicable, vile person who tortures puppies and inflicts sickness on children. No real middle ground in the dialogue choices, y'know?

But the line I picked literally was "You have a point." :(

I always prefer to be light side in KOTOR2, because a Sith PC can be really cruel, even more so than the first game. But the best powers are Dark Side IMO.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:23 am »

You should play Jedi Academy. You can take any powers you want (Grip and Mind Trick are my favorites) and be Jedi or Sith.
Of course, the sole deciding factor between Jedi or Sith is a single choice you can make near the end of the game...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1575