Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373754 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13170 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:23 pm »

Remembered why Guns of Icarus pisses me off.

Fly a Goldfish in a 2v2, with a ramming loadout, heavy flak in front and two flamethrowers.  It does decently against the enemy Junker, despite never hitting shots except at extreme close range and the level one engi constantly hogging the main gun.  Pretty sure both our kills were carried out via gravity and ramming damage.

Anyway, we get handily locked out of close range with the enemy Galleon because its loaded up with Hwacha rockets.  This makes sense; its been my opinion ever since they fixed the projectile glitch in beta that the Galleon is on a whole different level compared to all the other ships.  Strongest armor AND three guns, two of which are medium, all with the same firing arc?  Yes please.  So I switch my ship to the Innocent Trader Ship, my galleon.  Flamer in back, minigun to left, and a Hwacha and heavy flak on each side.  Or so I thought, turns out each type was on the same side, so to fight on our strong side people needed to hit with Heavy Flak.

I gave them what had to be literally ten minutes with the left side facing enemy ships, and we hit less than a dozen flak shots total.  The only one who spent any time bottom deck was one of our engis.  I would call out "we're running away, repair the engines" and then watch as everyone ignored me and the engines died from Kerosene/Tar/the fact that the enemy Spire's gunner can actually aim their flak cannon.

Now this might be partially my fault, I'm a fairly micromanaging pilot who constantly adjusts elevation and speed.  Its also possible I didn't understand the flak's arc as IRRC its pretty narrow.  Or maybe they nerfed heavy flak.  But back when I played regularly and it was called medium flak it was like a 4 shot kill on a Goldfish, and it wasn't THAT hard to aim.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13171 on: October 28, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »

My first ironman month is up.  Just in time to lose 7 boys to mutons.  Most of them were ones I wasnt too attached to, but . . . 7?

What happened was that I usually split into 2 squads of 4, who will occasionally split into two to clear small buildings.  Mutons charged out their ship and suppressed us into running into a side building, where a third was waiting.

Meanwhile, across the map a muton is running from cover to cover while I snipe and suppress him and a MG runs around to flank him.  Turned out one of my riflemen was next to a door with another muton.  three were dead (and one bleeding out of his everything) when I called it off.  But then my heavy flipped out and ran into the street.  In a misguided effort to save him I sent both my snipers into an office building, but it they were overrun and only one was able to make it back to the ship.

And all the while a cop with a handgun was killing mutons.  Two of them, right in front of us, with minimal help from us.  I should have just recruited him, and skipped all these terrible 38 tpu heavies.  He was taking three shots at the buggers from inside, and suppressing them!  I hope he lived.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:11:46 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13172 on: October 28, 2014, 11:53:32 pm »

New to a dungeon. Everyone in the party was new, in fact.

This ended poorly for us. Tons of party wipes on the final boss. Mostly due to the mages being unable to dodge area-of-effect attacks effectively.

That and adds that greatly boost one full-arena AOE attack if they get to the center of the room.

Some of the banter between us was funny though.

Spoiler: Game (click to show/hide)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13173 on: October 29, 2014, 12:28:18 am »

Goddamn it, Glitch village! It was a misclick! I WAS DOING SO WELLLL

Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13174 on: October 29, 2014, 10:25:32 am »

I finally savescummed... several times in a session.

First the aliens beamed directly into my secondary base, full of scientists and engineers and no weapons.  I could manually control the 30-some non-combat personnel to the exit lift, but that would have been tedious and resulted in the base's destruction.  Kinda crap since my attack craft full of soldiers was seconds away, theoretically, but meh. 

So I savescummed and transferred a bunch of energy rifles an hour before.  Sure enough, the aliens attacked the same way.  The scientists looked at the big pile of deadly energy cannons (they'd constructed earlier) and just shrugged.  Only soldiers can carry firearms apparently...  I'm going to believe that's one of the cities many ridiculous "ordinances".

So I savescummed again and stationed the few crappy (IE human) troops I could spare, again about an hour before the aliens arrived.  The aliens somehow noticed this and attacked the Senate building and Transtellar spacedock instead.  Heh, so it was a scripted response to an undefended base...  I scrambled my fighters anyway, including my massive troop transport/gunship.  The thing costs a whole week's funding (about 10 tactical missions, these aliens don't let up).  Aaaand it got shot down.  Since we haven't researched alien seatbelts yet (not actually a thing, sadly) my entire active squad was wiped out.

So I savescummed again and watched the aliens shoot up Transtellar a bit and beam infiltrators into the government.  It's cool.  My ground team secured the area after their ships left, and now Transtellar isn't nearly so chummy with the aliens (yes, the game tracks things like that).  Sometimes the best course of action is to let your enemies make you friends.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13175 on: October 29, 2014, 10:50:30 am »

Shouting 'Mortis Longdistimus,' the wizards spell set me on fire and threw me into the air.  My final rock struck true, but alas, I plummeted to my death.
Damn you, Merasmuuuuus! You are the worst roommaaaaaaaaate!
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13176 on: October 29, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »

Night mission.  In the desert.  All of my officer+ ranked soldiers

Xenonauts
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: October 29, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »

1) Security turret.
2) Overcharged my cryokinesis. It blew up in my face.
3) Demon magic failed genetic experiment monkey
4) Overcharged my cryokinesis. Again.
5) Searched one of the monkey corpses. While I was looking: "I'm.. Sorryyyy.." Point-blank shot to the head with a shotgun.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13178 on: October 30, 2014, 07:39:18 am »

Why would you bother searching a monkey? Aside the brain, which is useless unless you've already researched it, all they drop is a bag of chips.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: October 30, 2014, 10:30:12 am »

Why would you bother searching a monkey? Aside the brain, which is useless unless you've already researched it, all they drop is a bag of chips.

Rule of gaming man.  You gotta search everything everytime.  Because you never know when there is a 1 in 1000 chance to find the ultimate maguffin.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13180 on: October 30, 2014, 10:50:50 am »

Rule of gaming man.  You gotta search everything everytime.  Because you never know when there is a 1 in 1000 chance to find the ultimate maguffin.
Or the super big bag of chips that only appears on monkey corpses and which gives you double the benefits of the standard one.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13181 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:07 am »

1 HP of healing is still healing!

I started up the game after months of not playing.  Flew some dragon somewhere.  Got ambushed by a couple of dragons and undead.  The dragons almost no damage and died to a few arrows.  The skeletons with swords were foiled (heh) by my stepping backwards as they swung.  This one skeleton with a bow killed me in a few shots, though.

My amnesiac protagonist is going to wander the land a bit to re-learn the secrets of stealth archery, not to mention the stupid way arrows are fired a couple degrees over the reticule.  I should just mod that... I also don't remember the item interface being so time consuming to navigate...  Also I like how it activates caps-lock seemingly at random.

Edit: Whoops  :o  I guess I forgot more than I thought!  Or maybe I was claiming Arena doesn't count or something...  Yeah, that's it...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:26:07 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:54 am »

RAWR! WOOF-WOOF WAGH! *elder scrolls 4 is oblivion, elder scrolls 5 is skyrim* EOOEEK AGHHEE!
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:32 am »

RAWR! WOOF-WOOF WAGH! *elder scrolls 4 is oblivion, elder scrolls 5 is skyrim* EOOEEK AGHHEE!
I would have preferred they just called it:

A decent action-adventure game with very heavy emphasis on homely roleplaying:  Where barbarians stab romans.

Could have just made it its own game series.  You go to work, stab your oppressors, go home, bake a sweetroll, and get a bonus for sleeping with your wife.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:52:23 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13184 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:39 am »

I would have preferred they just called it:

A decent action-adventure game with very heavy emphasis on homely roleplaying:  Where barbarians stab romans.

Could have just made it its own game series.  You go to work, stab your oppressors, go home, bake a sweetroll, and get a bonus for sleeping with your wife.
Or you can call it "Skyrim".

Overestimated my car's speed over driving the incomplete bridge in Liberty City.
GTA 1
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1575