Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2372018 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #11730 on: April 29, 2014, 08:19:11 pm »

Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11731 on: April 29, 2014, 08:34:07 pm »

There's a ton of ways to make it through the game. Some are just more needlessly frustrating than others. :P

I just finished the game for the first time a few days ago, and I never touched the catacombs until I'd beaten the entire rest of the game. (Which I kind of regret, since there's good stuff in there and I'd been strong enough for a while).

If you're playing spoiler-free like I was, you really need to pay close attention to what NPCs and item descriptions say and if you want to avoid getting lost and/or missing interesting things. The difficulty curve is fairly gentle (...to a point) if you approach things in a reasonable order.

This. My first playthrough was mostly spoiler-free and although I got frustrated at some points I had a blast. I kinda miss seeing some of the sights for the first time and not knowing what the deal with them was (Ceaseless Discharge, for example :P).
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11732 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:45 pm »

How the heck can a zerg of 40+ people sneak up on me so silently!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11733 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:08 pm »

How the heck can a zerg of 40+ people sneak up on me so silently!

Haahaha, I know that feeling. I've too often been sent off by my commander in a two man roamer squad, captured a few camps, then SUDDENLY 1FPS OMG ZERG SHITCRAPPOOP RUN AWAY dead.

Anyway, my death for today is from a protracted battle against a Champion level NPC - i can solo most elites without kiting, i can solo some champions with kiting, though it's tough. I fought the Champion Giant Boar alone - oddly enough there was no train, so that's okay.

Pretty simple to kite - crippling shot to slow its movement, brutal shot to lower its defense, volley, then that rifle burst move. Bing bang badda boom. The boar has about two moves. A sorta cleaving melee attack that hits in a frontal cone in a short range, and an obviously telegraphed charging move.

Why I died? In the midst of kiting, another champion level NPC came to say hello. Champion Giant Wasp. Brilliant.

With two Champions railing on me, there wasn't much a poor old warrior could do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11734 on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:07 pm »

I don't even. How. Wow! xD
While my memory only extends to FTL (before any of the recent updates which I -wish- I would've went for (hello Steam.)), I've..never seen this kind happen before.
Boarding drone?
Bomb?
What happened? Missile hits you and the flagship at the same time? o_o

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11735 on: April 29, 2014, 09:32:09 pm »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11736 on: April 29, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »

The stupid communications tower. I will aim at an enemy two steps above me. Snake will auto-aim up at the ceiling. I can't snap him out of it, and the perspective makes it almost impossible to realign myself before I get shot to bits. And N64 games get stuck with the reputation for shoddy controls?

Metal Gear Solid. I love it, but some parts of the game really have not aged well.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11737 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:01 pm »

Doop de doop, in darkroot basin, oh hey, a door. Wonder what's behind- OHGODHAVEL! NONONONONO-smush. Welp. I ain't going that direction.

Dark Souls
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11738 on: April 29, 2014, 09:58:53 pm »

I was actually thinking of mentioning that when I saw that post, but to be blunt. I think anyone dense enough not to get the hint after actually reaching the catacomb kinda might be beyond help.

Well... well everyone talked about how hard it was!  It wasn't THAT unbeatable until the Zweilander broke.  I just assumed everyone reached the place where you repaired weapons earlier/had a better build than me.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #11739 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:59 pm »

I don't even. How. Wow! xD
While my memory only extends to FTL (before any of the recent updates which I -wish- I would've went for (hello Steam.)), I've..never seen this kind happen before.
Boarding drone?
Bomb?
What happened? Missile hits you and the flagship at the same time? o_o
I think for this this happen, you have to kill it first and then have the shots fired by the flagship before it was downed kill you. I don't know for sure, because too busy staring at the flagship in those last seconds to notice I was about to die.

And what do you mean you wish you would have went for the updates? The Advanced Edition expansion is free forever and automatically updated as part of the game, but you can disable it if you don't want to play it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11740 on: April 29, 2014, 10:18:11 pm »

(She didn't get it on Steam, so it's not that easy.)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11741 on: April 29, 2014, 11:23:44 pm »

Doop de doop, in darkroot basin, oh hey, a door. Wonder what's behind- OHGODHAVEL! NONONONONO-smush. Welp. I ain't going that direction.

Dark Souls
Funny story, my first playthrough was mostly spoiler free, so I didn't know Havel's name until I found his armor. Before then I just called him the "Nope Monster."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11742 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:21 pm »

(She didn't get it on Steam, so it's not that easy.)
It's still free forever.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11743 on: April 30, 2014, 12:07:50 am »

Got caught in a light rain, but my 95% lightning affinity summoned 5 lighting bolts in 3 seconds.

More of Ars Magica 2, Direwolf 20, FTB, Minecraft.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11744 on: April 30, 2014, 12:25:45 am »

Stabbed to death while unconscious during a boarding party.
Choice of Broadsides.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 1575