Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371549 times)

Kydrasz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #10365 on: December 12, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »

I decided to see if I can replay and get the Ghost achievement. On the last level somehow two guys died and I didn't get the checkmark. After taking the time to re-do everything, this time knocking out less people I made it to the end. Except, except when I got the stats the ghost checkbox was marked but I didn't get the achievement. Then I pretty much loaded my save for Daud and fought with him until I finally lost and died.

Any idea what went wrong? I didn't kill a single person or alert anyone.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Spoiler: Inspirational words (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: December 12, 2013, 09:01:38 pm »

Wasn't the last time, but it felt more appropriate to the title (death is really cheap)

In a previous excursion underground I have found and dismantled a set of spike traps. Knowing that I suck at killing the (summonable) saucer boss (I suck, ok?) I decided to be ready for it and the detachment of pingui-marines it carries on board by covering the ground with said spike traps. I have however miscalculated my placement and dropped one of the traps in the place where you teleport from orbit. Turns out these traps instakill you (even in silver armor), and you can't change where you teleport. Had to abandon a whole planet (plus my farm, my house, and a number of backup items).

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: December 13, 2013, 08:24:38 am »

Dude this isn't the 1980s anymore.  Villains that are indisputably 100% puppy kicking-ly EVIL are extremely rare these days.

Dragonsphere was made in the 90's :P but I'm still not even sure what Sanwe (the bad guy) did wrong, except maybe make a tower in the mountains without asking anybody.

Just got this game because I saw your posts, and noticed it was free on GoG. From what I read, Sanwe basically phases in to the world every 20 years and demands a butload of tribute, food, ore etc. If anyone refuses he kills them. he's apparently powerful enough that entire armies don't phase him.
Then, of course, you helped inprison him 20 years ago and he vowed vengence on you when he escaped, which he is now doing.

As for my last death, I thought I could take the mini-t-rex looking monster, until it spit lightning at me.

Starbound

EDIT: Quote fail
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:58:29 am by timferius »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:36 am »

Advanced one step too far. Uncovered two sectoid commanders and enough Mutons to fill my face with an unholy amount of plasma.

My Heavy colonel promptly got mind-controlled into delivering way too much plasma into the face of one of my MECs, putting it out of commission and destroying my defense. Shit just got worse from there.

XCOM Enemy Within
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:30 am »

After surviving the cataclysm, I spent a few hours practicing my former life-skill of tailoring to armor myself up for the new world. Alas, I walked outside to find a fungal spire and a zombear waiting for me. RIP

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: December 13, 2013, 12:54:54 pm »

Not technically my last death, but two memorable ones in a string of deaths.

Made a few make-shift tools, walked out of the shelter, and gathered some wild berries before heading off. Since bad things had happened when I tried to go north, I went south this time. After wandering down a road I found a lone building alongside the road. Sadly, it was hosting a convention of zombified dogs right outside. I was ripped to shreds by a dozen of the things as I tried to escape back the way I came.

Another character, learning that lesson and ones from other less fortunate attempts, goes north making a detour around the rather dangerous bridge into town to see what lies beyond. I find a sewage treatment plant with a few minor things of interest in it, and a shopping cart! Now things are looking up! Further on I find a group of slaughtered scientists and loot the bodies, placing what I find in my cart and going on my merry way. Since food is a bit scare I occasionally stop to pick berry bushes that I see on the way. At one such stop, I discover a land mind cleverly hidden in a random bush along the side of the road. The hard way. (Why? Why put a land mine in a random bush?? Cruel game...)

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead for both.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: December 13, 2013, 05:44:06 pm »

I completely underestimated how powerful the Caretakers would be. I initiated a war when scouts were still my staple units, and then they rolled out laser troops and tanks. They steamrolled my bases while I refused to offer anything in return for peace, because I promised to the Nautilus Pirates that I'd fight. If anyone is interested, the Nautilus Pirates were busy lounging around with their laser-troops, not actually helping at all. Nice teamwork guys. I researched laser weapons near the start of the war, but it was too late to be helpful.

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: December 13, 2013, 05:46:21 pm »

I prefer Alpha Centauri without Alien Crossfire, myself. Seems much more immersive, to me.
Is there any difference, besides the new factions and win condition?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: December 13, 2013, 05:58:42 pm »

Scorpions? Sure, I will take care of those for you...

Shit, they are the size of a small car.

This is a blank sig.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: December 13, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

Tip if you're new to fallout- If you are told about some animal somewhere, and it sounds minor, it's not.  Chances are it's a giant mutated monster who sees your power armor as being nice tin foil wrapping for his meal.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: December 13, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »

So Me, Farsight and Stitch are sneaking in to shoot up some raiders that have taken a camp.

Everything's going fine, then during a street shootout, I forgot to switch Stitch back to his Beretta, so instead of filling them with lead he goes to offer them medicine, causing him to get a facefull of lead instead.

With his loss, I loot his corpse and we move on to the Raider's makeshift HQ, head in and after the leader gives a monologue, one of his guards fills Farsight with lead, she drops dead and I follow soon after.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: December 13, 2013, 07:22:03 pm »

Tip if you're new to fallout- If you are told about some animal somewhere, and it sounds minor, it's not.  Chances are it's a giant mutated monster who sees your power armor as being nice tin foil wrapping for his meal.
Except Deathclaws. Contrary to the name and appearance, they're nice and friendly.

They even have some funny lines! Go up to them and talk! Just don't shoot at them, or you'll scare them away.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: December 13, 2013, 07:43:57 pm »

Except Deathclaws. Contrary to the name and appearance, they're nice and friendly.

They even have some funny lines! Go up to them and talk! Just don't shoot at them, or you'll scare them away.
True. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: December 13, 2013, 09:54:48 pm »

I had a fairly good LCS get killed.

It started as a drug cartel. Or, as they called it, a brownie cartel. They sold brownies, (like, a lot of them) to make money for La Revolution. But they didn't do a very good job hiding it. Police raided their headquarters and ended up killing everyone except the leader and 2 others, and the leader received a serious spinal injury.

With the safe house compromised along with all of the members and funds, the squad disbanded for around 10 years. For a while, their influence remained, but they were eventually forgotten, and the leader eventually recreated the Brownie Cartel. This was FancyPants McGee's Insurrection. He was once an unstoppable soldier, but in his current state he was incapable of fighting. He managed to convince many people skilled in the art of infiltration to join him. They ran their own newspaper. Eventually, they managed to sway the public opinion in an even greater way then they had before by breaking into radio stations and broadcasting their own shows which were fueled by McGee's astounding persuasiveness and charisma. A very large number of Liberals were put into congress later that year.

But then something terrible happened. An important sleeper broke, and ended up betraying the squad. He told them everything, and the safe house was raided by an extreme number of CCS members. Not a single liberal survived, not even McGee.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:50 am »

I prefer Alpha Centauri without Alien Crossfire, myself. Seems much more immersive, to me.
Is there any difference, besides the new factions and win condition?
AX adds techs, secret projects and stuff that seem to unbalance the game in general. I think the whole alien thing sorta ruins the atmosphere a bit.

They also add a few terrain features I believe. I don't feel that the techs are so bad, but I just can't stand the new factions. Usually I play AX without any of the new factions or replace Believers with an alien one but that's it.
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 1575