Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2371666 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #10335 on: December 09, 2013, 01:10:09 am »

I think I've mentioned before that I beat the game at only level 18. I was incredibly underleveled :P I had to use every single enchanted item and combat-oriented scroll I carried to survive more than a hit or two from Dagoth Ur. I could probably have survived most of the Fighter's Guild questlines and gotten more loot/levels, but by the endgame I was really, really tired of walking all over Vvardenfell, especially the Ashlands regions and the waters off the north coast.
How I fought Dagoth Ur. Keep walking straight into him with shield raised until he backs into the lava. Then sheath weapon and spend 20 minutes wondering how to beat the puzzle. (I forgot to grab the gauntlet.)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: December 09, 2013, 03:16:48 am »

I had a character that I beat the whole game with, including the entire Thieves' Guild, the main questline, the House Hlaalu questline, the Mage's Guild, all the Solstheim quests, and a whole crap load of miscellaneous quests, including finding a bunch of the artifacts (Cuirass of the Savior's Hide FTW). He was a Light Armor Long Blades Imperial with very good Enchanting and Smithing skills. He was a total fucking badass, except for one thing:
His class name was supposed to be Burglar. It was Buglar. Buglar is now non-official TES canon in my head for a secret agent of a particular sect, just to save face at my spelling mistake.

I wish I'd picked Light Armor. I have barely any room to pick up loot, medium armor is more expensive and I'm not even getting that much more protection than I would from chitin armor with a similar skill level.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:27 am »

I think heavy armor was even worse in Oblivion - at the max levels of their respective skills, the only difference between glass and daedric armor was their weight in your pack (and maybe the price).

A giant bone wyrm launched out of the ash floor, launching my gibs everywhere.  The Wall of Flesh had less than 100 health (1%, just a few seconds from death).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:41 am »

I think heavy armor was even worse in Oblivion - at the max levels of their respective skills, the only difference between glass and daedric armor was their weight in your pack (and maybe the price).

Actually, unless I misremembering things, Light Armour and Heavy Armour were virtually identical at max level. Exact same protection and exact same encumbrance. Some quick wiki-browsing reveals that Heavy Armour had slightly more health than Light Armour, but that shouldn't be much of a advantage.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:05 am »

Actually, unless I misremembering things, Light Armour and Heavy Armour were virtually identical at max level. Exact same protection and exact same encumbrance. Some quick wiki-browsing reveals that Heavy Armour had slightly more health than Light Armour, but that shouldn't be much of a advantage.

That's what I thought, yeah.  But daedric armor is still a lot heavier, and I think worn armor still counts towards your carrying capacity in Oblivion.  It's also about 2.5x as expensive (as if anyone actually purchases armor in oblivion... pre-enchanted I guess.)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: December 09, 2013, 11:47:12 am »

That's what I thought, yeah.  But daedric armor is still a lot heavier, and I think worn armor still counts towards your carrying capacity in Oblivion.  It's also about 2.5x as expensive (as if anyone actually purchases armor in oblivion... pre-enchanted I guess.)

The wiki says that at max level armour no longer encumbrances you, and I vaguely remember armour no longer counting towards your weight at max level. Still it's been ages since I last played Oblivion, so I'm not entirely sure.

And if we're going by cost then Glass is much, much cheaper than Daedric, since bandits get kitted out with Glass armour at high level. Though at high levels you probably have more gold than you know what to do with, so it's not like cost matters (except for resale value).

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: December 09, 2013, 11:48:27 am »

I had a character that I beat the whole game with, including the entire Thieves' Guild, the main questline, the House Hlaalu questline, the Mage's Guild, all the Solstheim quests, and a whole crap load of miscellaneous quests, including finding a bunch of the artifacts (Cuirass of the Savior's Hide FTW). He was a Light Armor Long Blades Imperial with very good Enchanting and Smithing skills. He was a total fucking badass, except for one thing:
His class name was supposed to be Burglar. It was Buglar. Buglar is now non-official TES canon in my head for a secret agent of a particular sect, just to save face at my spelling mistake.

I wish I'd picked Light Armor. I have barely any room to pick up loot, medium armor is more expensive and I'm not even getting that much more protection than I would from chitin armor with a similar skill level.
In Morrowind, it's going to get worse - the best Light Armor, Glass, is actually superior to the best Medium Armor, Indoril (which also has some other...fun flags).  The best Heavy Armor, Daedric, is at least vastly better than both.  Tribunal and Bloodmoon at least rectified this in part by adding new, superior sets of Medium Armor, and one of the best cuirasses in the game is Medium, though, so it's not a total wash.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: December 09, 2013, 02:06:34 pm »

Greatest thing ever in Oblivion is wearing full Daedric armor and yet still being able to jump thirty feet in a bound while running thirty miles per hour.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: December 09, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »

In Morrowind, it's going to get worse - the best Light Armor, Glass, is actually superior to the best Medium Armor, Indoril (which also has some other...fun flags).  The best Heavy Armor, Daedric, is at least vastly better than both.  Tribunal and Bloodmoon at least rectified this in part by adding new, superior sets of Medium Armor, and one of the best cuirasses in the game is Medium, though, so it's not a total wash.

What level should I be at for the Solstheim quests? The thought of using bonemold for most of the non-expansion game is going to drive me crazy.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: December 09, 2013, 02:51:46 pm »

Yeah, max level armor in oblivion has 0 weight while equipped, and aside from armor durability both glass and daedric are exactly the same.

As for Morrowind, its pretty much exactly what Culise said. The expansions have better (and safer) sets of armor, but they are all fairly difficult to get. Honestly though, you would be far better served by switching to light (for the low weight and the fact that there is far more of it), or heavy (for the awesome endgame daedric and the fact that there is far more of it).

But yeah, I really loved Morrowind Daedric armor as well, since it was so rare that finding a single piece was a windfall (rarer even then most artifacts), and it was so indisputably the best armor in the game (if you were willing to carry 350 weight of armor that is).

But then in Oblivion they turned into regular (far more common) armor.  >:(

What level should I be at for the Solstheim quests? The thought of using bonemold for most of the non-expansion game is going to drive me crazy.
A few moments internet searching seems to recommend 20. But you can try it out at lower levels, and just go somewhere else if it gets too difficult to handle.
EDIT: Yuck, I imagine it will be made far more difficult by having completely crappy armor for the majority of the expansion there too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:53:35 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: December 09, 2013, 03:36:54 pm »

I would use console commands to switch my Medium and Light Armor skills for eachother, but the only commands I've gotten to work have been SetHealth 0 and Resurrect (and the latter one only works half the time for some reason). I thought Medium Armor was a good deal because Dark Elves have a bonus to that, but I should have just sucked it up and picked Light or Heavy.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: December 09, 2013, 03:41:25 pm »

Dammit guys, now I want to reinstall Morrowind and get into it. I've tried it a few times but my interest always fizzled when I couldn't do everything and kind of lost direction. Is it safe to assume that I'll need a few or more playthroughs to go through all the questlines? If so, am I horribly underleveled if I only do plot stuff and some of the available quests?

It seems like a nice game but damn it's big.

EDIT:
Lest we stray too far off-topic:

My marines easily fought their way into the miner base and picked up the transmitter. A flamethrower and a horde of upgraded pulserifles pulverized basic warrior strains I had to fight. Alas, once I neared my second objective an enormous horde of Xenomorphs zergrushed my marine blob. At first the xenos died handily, but each kill resulted in an explosion of acid that covered my marines. And then the big aliens came.
It took a while for the first marine to die, but after him they all fell like dominos.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:00:24 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: December 09, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »

the only commands I've gotten to work have been SetHealth 0 and Resurrect (and the latter one only works half the time for some reason).

I'm guessing this was the last time you died!
She/they

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: December 09, 2013, 04:03:08 pm »

Baldur's Gate, Friendly Arm Inn, the wizard guy. Many, many times.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:47 pm »

Dammit guys, now I want to reinstall Morrowind and get into it. I've tried it a few times but my interest always fizzled when I couldn't do everything and kind of lost direction. Is it safe to assume that I'll need a few or more playthroughs to go through all the questlines? If so, am I horribly underleveled if I only do plot stuff and some of the available quests?

It seems like a nice game but damn it's big.

Yeah, it'll take a looong time if you want to explore all that Morrowind has to offer. A large number of questlines are mutually exclusive, like the Great Houses (you can only join one per game) and the Fighter's/Thieves Guilds (at least one Fighter quest requires you to kill Thieves Guild and House Telvanni members). I think the Temple and Imperial Cult might be exclusive as well, but I've never joined either. There's also a number of "hidden" factions that might seem un-joinable at first, but actually are.

There are times when Morrowind's sheer size hides the content just by making it difficult to find. I would never have found Percius Mercius in Ald'ruhn if I hadn't already been looking for FG quests, but he has an entirely unique personality with special dialogue based on the results of past Fighter missions. He's actually one of the neatest characters in the game, but I found him almost totally by chance.

I'm guessing this was the last time you died!

Actually not :P I only use SetHealth 0 on cliff racers and small slaughterfish. I tried using Resurrect on a random witch in a cave because I wanted to talk to them, but then I couldn't kill them or calm them down. I tried resurrecting a few "scripted" corpses (ones that are dead when you get there), but they only seem to teleport a few inches away and change their pose.
Pages: 1 ... 688 689 [690] 691 692 ... 1575