Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2372488 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #10245 on: November 28, 2013, 01:46:42 am »

My last deaths, very much in the plural: I discovered that, just because a side-quest is available at level 13, and just because a dungeon's normal mobs are easily defeated at level 13, does not mean that either of those challenges can be completed at level 13. Four levels later, I still struggled to complete them. And that was after completing a pretty massive chunk of the story before backtracking.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: November 28, 2013, 07:20:59 am »

Ran into a Mantis ship that not only had a burst laser, but two missile launchers and enough power to keep the missiles up after several hits to the weapons compartment.

One missile hit my weapons while another hit my shields, causing fires and hull breaches in both. The respective officers were too wounded to repair them, so they sat in the medbay to heal. And then here comes the burst laser to destroy that, too. Eventually my entire crew was running in circles, vainly trying to dodge the fires and repair the engines/navigation in time to get away.

FTL: Faster Than Light. I have learned my lesson though: dual burst lasers are only effective as long as you have strong missiles and/or a pre-igniter to back them up. And Mantis encounters in a nebula are terrifying.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: November 28, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »

Found out about the new update for minecraft, fired it up, created a new world...and promptly took three steps into a pit I failed to notice, right by the spawn. FAIL :(

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10248 on: November 28, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

Stepped through a doorway into the one of the last rooms on the level to be cleared; inside is a mancubus and a revenant.  They shoot me, but I should be fine, due to my armor and 70% health...

Because of the short range, all of the Mancubus' three shots get me in their blast radius.  They also blow up the barrel of napalm behind me and the ones in the room, launching me forwards into the middle of the room, into a pool of lava.  Somehow, I survive this...

Until the Revenant hits me and kills me.  Dead in one turn, at level 12.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10249 on: November 28, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »

Why did I assume the plague would only affect the townspeople? Stupid 20% stat penalty...

Din's Curse demo.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: November 28, 2013, 08:44:23 pm »

Playing as the U.S.A, with the majority of my force being infantry.  I have one company of infantry, about 10 different AT teams, four tanks, two command teams, and two flights of Apaches on standby.   My objective is to hold and defend a town against an assualt by Soviet armor.  I deploy the majority of my infantry at the edge of the town, hoping to engage their tanks as they enter the city.  I have one tank at the south, while my other three are dug in at the tree line to the north.   The battle begins, and I quickly start taking down enemy scouts.   Eventually one of my two dismounted scout sections hears rumbling to the east.   Then they hears more.   Before my command team can relay the order to retreat they are gunned down by an onslaught of main battle tanks and armored personal carriers.   My tanks open fire, and are immediately met with return fire, killing them in seconds.   I watch in horror as my entire northern defense line crumbles, with a grand total of one enemy damaged, and entire platoons of mine wiped out in minutes.    My infantry retreat, and the three squads who survived manage to hold them off for the eight minutes required for reinforcements to arrive.  The Apaches come in, and turn towards the soviet tanks.   But at this moment the Russian reinforcements arrive, in the form of five ZSU's.   The Apaches are torn apart, crashing behind enemy lines.   I quickly order all my infantry to retreat deeper into the town, abandoning the northern objective to the Soviets.   After this the battle starts turning my way.   While my AT teams might all be laying dead, and my tanks burning husks, the soviets are unable to engage in the close quarters of the city. I order all my troops to engage only at point blank range, and the soviets penetrate several blocks with no resistance.  It is then that I spring my trap.   Infantry squads fire their LAWs at the back of the tanks, where their armor cannot save them.   What mechanized troops that can exit from their carriers are gunned down, as my troops occupy the only cover available.   An hour later I begin to hope that I might win, but, with all my troops occupied with bogging down the forces to the north, a group of mechanized infantry sneak around and hit me from behind.   Low on ammo, and surrounded, my forces have no chance of victory.   But they go out with a bang, and took down nearly the entire armored force.   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:49:11 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:07 am »

Walk through the woods, on a narrow path, and suddenly, out of nowhere, 11 ratmen pop out.
My thief is useless, and my ranger missed with every arrow he shot. My drakon mage spent his only spell power and then breathed acid until he collapsed, and my alchemist ran out of steam sooner than that. Jack the fighter got murdered on the third round of combat, and everyone followed suit soon after.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: November 29, 2013, 10:09:53 am »

Wizardry 7 hates you and everything you stand for.  The ratkin ambush is only the start.   (If you don't know of it there is a relatively short dungeon in the forest somewhere before those ratkin, you can grind up a bit in there.)

I can't imagine how anybody could ever beat that game before the guides.  The game makes X-COM TFTD look easy.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:11:51 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: November 29, 2013, 10:24:52 am »

The game makes X-COM TFTD look easy.
0.o

A wolf pack nummied on my Argonian 'nightblade'.  I say nightblade because Im so aggressive with him, and have to conciously try to make him stealth through maps, although the monster difficulty buffs help.  Sabertooth kitties are a constant threat, moreso than any other single creature.  Every one has one-hit witbane, and dem claws.  I forced him not to use a shield (I still remember my unarmored shieldmage) and dem claws.
:(  I miss my supportive tank character.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:34:49 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #10254 on: November 29, 2013, 10:58:11 am »

Not A death, but basically doomed to it, but chao or whatever the HOS"s name is, shot me no less then 5 times while I was afking in botany, and the only two wounds he inflicted((besides putting my health to 2)) was braking my arms AND melting my ears, so now, I am both deaf, and it takes +2 Action points to do an action((not moving, thank god)) But, im in medbay, but the medic is sleeping on the bed, and she JUST got crushed by A piece of metal and I think she might not make it, and the scary has physiologist is staring at me like shes a mush, and two health, and being Ian, I cant do combat actions , or if I try i get a ADDITIONAL +2  for it, because Ian is A pacifist, and I have NO ACTION POINTS! so basiclly im waiting on someone to either end me or heal me ;~;

Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: November 29, 2013, 12:54:44 pm »

I would equate it to an RTS form of Steel Panthers, set in modern era.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: November 29, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »

Had a Terror mission in Mexico City. Things started ok, killed a couple floaters. Started moving soldiers up.

Then two chrysalids appeared in the middle of a parking lot full of tanks. Easy rocket shot for one of my heavies. Heavy takes the shot, nails the two chrysalids...and slightly grazes a tank with the blast. Said tank blows up. Said tank was the tank my assault was stationed next to. Spoiler alert, she died instantly...things quickly went downhill from there.

My support panics, and the sniper picks off one of the weakened chrysalids. The other one is still alive, and without my assault to kill it when it got too close, it managed to run straight up to my panicking support and oneshots him. Then zombies start moving in. Because my support died, both my heavies panic when their explosives are desperately needed, giving the horde enough time to close in.

Long story short, we got rushed by chrysalids, zombies, and even a cyberdisk at one point while my squad goes into a slow but steady panic spiral. Some notable last stand moments include:
     1.my two heavies working together to first shred a fustercluck of two chrysalids and 4 zombies before the other heavy nuked them all with her rocket
     2.some turns later my one surviving heavy going out in a blaze of glory by blasting the two zombies and a chrysalid all huddled around her with her shredder rocket. (She had 1 health left and was done for anyway.)
     3.my sniper finishing off these two zombies and a chrysalid with a laspistol by herself before getting overwhelmed.

tl;dr: TPK of a six-soldier squad of some high ranking troops on the second terror mission of the campaign, all started by accidentally blowing up my assault with a tank, igniting a panic spiral.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10257 on: November 29, 2013, 11:13:07 pm »

I was Shyguy 62 of the Mushroom Kingdom. My group of spearguys, along with a squad of Snifits. We were sent (spawned) to deal with an infestation of Sleepy Sheep and Buzzy Beetles.  My group was equipped with the finest iron spears and masks available, and the Snifit group had enough bullets to give each member twenty. Upon starting the battle, I found that I had forgotten to check team settings. The Snifit group began firing a hail of bullets into my comrades, so I turned and struck one down.
 When the dust settled, many of my comrades were dead, but I was in good condition. I spawned in a group of tick man crossbowmen, with the intention to claim my spear a few more kills.
I ran towards them and was immediately shot and killed.
Basically, I got Sir Daniel'd.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10258 on: November 29, 2013, 11:28:03 pm »

EVA-01 is OP as fuck. Takes almost no damage from even my most powerful attacks, each basic hit from it knocks a significant chunk off my health bar. Plus you have to listen to Shinji screaming every time he unleashes a super move. After a few attempts I ragequit.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:55 pm »

The Weeping Angel in the graveyard level got me. I was about to make it all the way through as the Fourth Doctor, too. I ended up finishing as 10 because of the stupid Weeping Angel.

Dr. Who 50th Anniversary Google doodle.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1575