Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2372690 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #10215 on: November 24, 2013, 07:08:04 pm »

Playing a vampire necromancer, and I was doing pretty well, for my standards (Read: Dungeon level 3). I try to use-identify a scroll like a moron, and it ends up being a scroll of teleportation. Which places me in a corridor right next to a previous character's ghost. Who happens to be a minotaur berserker. I try to run away, only to run face-first into three orc warriors and an orc mage. What ensues was my body getting turned into what could easily be mistaken for Tabasco sauce.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10216 on: November 24, 2013, 10:20:23 pm »

Playing a vampire necromancer, and I was doing pretty well, for my standards (Read: Dungeon level 3). I try to use-identify a scroll like a moron, and it ends up being a scroll of teleportation. Which places me in a corridor right next to a previous character's ghost. Who happens to be a minotaur berserker. I try to run away, only to run face-first into three orc warriors and an orc mage. What ensues was my body getting turned into what could easily be mistaken for Tabasco sauce.

"Reasons to read-ID a scroll on an already explored level for 300, Alex."

Though that said, if you ARE on an already cleared floor then read-IDing is pretty safe. You probably don't want to do the same for potions until you've identified Degeneration, though, since that can be nasty.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: November 24, 2013, 10:58:38 pm »

IMO mutation is a bigger threat than degeneration when quaff-identifying, but yeah
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:01:17 pm by TripJack »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: November 24, 2013, 11:03:51 pm »

I was playing my soul level 1 character in Dark Souls and after pushing my way to victory against the Four Kings and walking all over Seath, I decided to go through the DLC. I then proceeded to suffer more deaths against the sanctuary guardian than I had against all the previous bosses combined.
In a normal playthrough, the Guardian would be a cakewalk for me, but with base hp, extremely short attack range and no way to effectively block its attacks, it became one of the hardest fights in the game. Most of its attacks left me with a sliver of health, and since the Guardian is extremely aggressive and I was usually under some health draining effect, I would usually die if I let myself get hit once.
I finally overcame it with some boosted pyromancy. It hit hard and rarely gave me the opportunity to attack, but its lack of health meant it only took a few hits to kill. I can't wait to see how the Artorias fight turns out.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: November 24, 2013, 11:06:56 pm »

IMO mutation is a bigger threat than degeneration when quaff-identifying, but yeah

Oh, yeah, dur. My brain fuzzed on the "worst thing that could happen is that deterioration mutation" thing and spat out the wrong word. Though I suppose teleportitis would be pretty awful, and blurry vision sucks...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: November 25, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »

I decided to be a Jewish Germanic Duke in Ethiopia.  I didn't realize that many peasants could hate me so.  Then there was another one where I was a random count in the middle of Europe, near Italy.  Was just doing my thing when a Muslim(?) boy-leader appears and an army of 20k comes marching over my 2 county area.  I need a couple of easier games to get my bearings on the war mechanics before I try either of those again.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: November 25, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

Killed in about 10 seconds by some minigun-wielding bad guys that can apparently become intangible when they duck.

Quake 2 demo.

Edit:

Just achieved my 5th death in less than an hour of playing FTL. I happened to encounter a sun and a rebel ship at the same time.

During the battle, I had tried to combat the fires by closing my crew in the medbay and opening the burning compartments to space. While this did stop most of the fires in the short-run, the door controls were destroyed in the next solar flare and a fire started in the O2. Eventually, we ran entirely out of air while the surrendered rebel ship looked on smugly.

FTL: Faster Than Light
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:22:04 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10222 on: November 25, 2013, 06:23:53 pm »

What game?  It sounds interesting, dynamic pirates are fun.

Man_Flayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: November 25, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »

Had my ass shot off when when a stray laser managed to shove itself through the 1 by 1 hole in my hull. Nevermind I had over three thousand effing shield units and the best power system money could build( i.e. the walls were made of fission reactors).

To throw a giant vitriolic cherry on it I was 25 sectors away from spawn.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:27 pm »

I escape a Mantis encounter next to an asteroid with some minor damage. I skedaddle to the next system to rest and repair a bit before moving on.

Four goddamn Mantis boarders out of nowhere in a random encounter. I catastrophically miss with my own smart-bombs (how do you miss with a teleporting smart bomb aimed at your own ship) in an attempt to blow them up, then start opening compartments to space. Eventually, they corner two of my three crew in the oxygen room. They suffocate just before they reach the captain, but not before destroying my door systems. So the captain is all alone in a ship that is entirely open to space and no way to repair it.

FTL: Faster Than Light
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »

Playing a Minotaur Berserker, and got through the Lair easily. I didn't want to take on the Snake Pit at the time, so I decided to try the Swamp. I was doing rather well, but I found a couple dragons nearby, and I was already pretty badly hurt from some named human caster which I couldn't seem to hit. I used a teleport scroll, and started to run. The turn before I warped, both of the dragons used a poison attack. I tried to use Trog's Hand since I was out of Potions of Curing, but it only delayed the inevitable death by poison. Goodbye, my +6,+5 War Axe of Chopping.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: November 25, 2013, 10:29:42 pm »

Playing a Minotaur Berserker, and got through the Lair easily. I didn't want to take on the Snake Pit at the time, so I decided to try the Swamp. I was doing rather well, but I found a couple dragons nearby, and I was already pretty badly hurt from some named human caster which I couldn't seem to hit. I used a teleport scroll, and started to run. The turn before I warped, both of the dragons used a poison attack. I tried to use Trog's Hand since I was out of Potions of Curing, but it only delayed the inevitable death by poison. Goodbye, my +6,+5 War Axe of Chopping.

It makes me sad that I've played it casually for a couple of years now, but still havent got more than a few levels past the entrance to orc. Suppose it's a downfall about being either Summoner or Necro 98% of the time.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: November 25, 2013, 10:49:22 pm »

It makes me sad that I've played it casually for a couple of years now, but still havent got more than a few levels past the entrance to orc. Suppose it's a downfall about being either Summoner or Necro 98% of the time.
I've actually found that skipping the Orc Mines for a time tends to be a good idea. Also, a lot of what got me farther were some great drops early on. Namely, a +2,+4 halberd with a frost brand from a wight, and the aforementioned +6,+5 War Axe of Chopping from Trog. I got my piety pretty high quickly because I found an amulet of the Normand, so I didn't need to butcher many corpses.

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: November 25, 2013, 11:04:08 pm »

I've actually found that skipping the Orc Mines for a time tends to be a good idea. Also, a lot of what got me farther were some great drops early on. Namely, a +2,+4 halberd with a frost brand from a wight, and the aforementioned +6,+5 War Axe of Chopping from Trog. I got my piety pretty high quickly because I found an amulet of the Normand, so I didn't need to butcher many corpses.
Yeah, Orc is much more dangerous than lair nearly 100% of the time.
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: November 25, 2013, 11:15:07 pm »

Captain Vor and his damn lightning grenades. Anyone who gets downed within reach of one is probably best left alone. Everyone who has tried to revive someone within reach of one of those things just ends up down too.

How come no-one ever tries crawling away from the enemy when they've been downed? Most people seem content to just sit there and watch as team-mates take damage as they try to revive them.

Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 1575