Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1574

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2369262 times)

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #9780 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:38 am »

Oh wow. How about battleships? Small tanks are okay since they've got good speed. Just don't let him build up. He's helpless in direct combat so take advantage of that.
There are only eight factories on the map and you start with four each. No ports or airports. Beyond that, there are just cities, and he starts with all the ones on his (slightly larger) side of the map already under control, while you have to go out and capture yours. Tanks can't reliably reach the artillery units due to the forests and natural chokepoints, and even if they do, he is all but guaranteed to have another unit nearby that covers each others blindspots. I'm going to try the mission again with Sami Mech spam and see if that helps.

Edit: Mech Spam went significantly easier, even finished the mission with an A-rank, although it felt rather cheesy. 'least I don't need to deal with it anymore.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:04:18 am by Myroc »
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:17 am »

My rookie advanced to a covered position behind a car, and revealed not one, but two packs of Floaters, both with 3 units, for a total of 6 highly-mobile, relatively deadly aliens. The two packs both moved into roughly the same, tightly-packed area... right behind a large truck. My Heavy lines up a rocket, and from the looks of it, I'm about to kill maybe 4-5 aliens with a single shot, maybe all 6 if I'm lucky.

And then my Heavy rolls the 10% chance of the rocket missing. Instead of blowing up a literal half-dozen aliens, it nails a nearby car.

The car my rookie was taking cover behind.

Well, thanks, soldier. Wonder if that counts as one of your kills.  ::)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: September 18, 2013, 02:54:04 am »

My rookie advanced to a covered position behind a car, and revealed not one, but two packs of Floaters, both with 3 units, for a total of 6 highly-mobile, relatively deadly aliens. The two packs both moved into roughly the same, tightly-packed area... right behind a large truck. My Heavy lines up a rocket, and from the looks of it, I'm about to kill maybe 4-5 aliens with a single shot, maybe all 6 if I'm lucky.

And then my Heavy rolls the 10% chance of the rocket missing. Instead of blowing up a literal half-dozen aliens, it nails a nearby car.

i really, really hate floaters. they are so damn fast
they might as well be allowed to teleport every fucking where in the map.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: September 18, 2013, 03:28:27 am »

They can teleport. Kind of. I had one jump up, disappear, then land right behind my sniper on the other side of the map. The one turn you get to shoot the bastard doesn't help if you soldier is holding an exclusively long-range weapon and a pistol that barely does any damage.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: September 18, 2013, 03:37:10 am »

10% rocket scatter is kinda BS.  Not bad enough to plan around, but still can really fuck you over.

The funny thing is, it basically fucked over my first playthrough on the first council mission when my heavy shot a crate directly in front of her and sent the VIP to the skyranger, you know, the fast way.  But since then I've spammed rockets all the time and its never majorly screwed me.  Even when the rockets scatter they still hit the main target.

They can teleport. Kind of. I had one jump up, disappear, then land right behind my sniper on the other side of the map. The one turn you get to shoot the bastard doesn't help if you soldier is holding an exclusively long-range weapon and a pistol that barely does any damage.

Try either dashing the sniper towards your frontline or moving away from the floater and hunkering down.  Floaters can fly over stuff but are slower than XCOM soldiers IIRC.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: September 18, 2013, 03:44:47 am »

Just simply walking down the street, when all of a sudden I lurch to the left and run into traffic, and my last sliver of health is taken by an 18 wheeler. Shaking it off, I respawn and... I'm still lurching to the left. Go to the menu and.... now the menu is scrolling to the left.

RIP PS3 Controller 2008-2013
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:09:08 am by Silent_Thunder »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: September 18, 2013, 08:15:36 am »

Try either dashing the sniper towards your frontline or moving away from the floater and hunkering down.  Floaters can fly over stuff but are slower than XCOM soldiers IIRC.

Oh? I thought it wouldn't make sense to try running from something that is 50% jetpack, but thanks for the hint!

In related news, I modded Gunpowder Backpacks so that they would be made from solid sulphuric acid instead of leather. Sadly, the explosion burned away the acid before it could dissolve the blastproof Queen Mistress Sherarax. She whipped me to death.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:06 am »

Oh? I thought it wouldn't make sense to try running from something that is 50% jetpack, but thanks for the hint!

Looking it up it appears that floaters can move almost twice as fast as snipers.  But in my experience they waste some of their move moving vertically when they don't have to.  So... take from that what you will?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: September 18, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »

He lost a battle with Lance, because he got 5 critical hits in a row.

He drove to the barber shop, only to have a stunt plane crash on him, killing him.

He lost a defense battle because his town hall allowed him just 1 too few walls.

He is... The unluckiest gamer in the world.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: September 18, 2013, 05:49:32 pm »

ARGH RUSTED-DRAGON

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: September 18, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »

Precisely why I tend to give my squadsight snipers Gunslinger and my best pistol. Lets them pretty reliably take out floaters at closer range, especially since they tend to have really high accuracy.

EDIT: To keep on topic...

Got beaten to death by a a zombie brute after being blinded by a zombie dog.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:12:51 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: September 18, 2013, 06:20:44 pm »

Shaka'd.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: September 18, 2013, 06:55:07 pm »

ARGH RUSTED-DRAGON

Managed to claw my way up to Segment 5.

Took a Perpetual-Calendar to the face.

This. Again.

Both of these in the same run.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:07 pm »

Swing and a miss! He's flying! He shot a fireball at me which I then ate! No matter I'll just drink a mega potion and wait he's flying at me now
You have fainted. [sad sound effect]

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate vs an Azure Rathalos. G-rank solo, am I pro yet? Evidently not.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »

I somehow got outside the map. As in, I jumped through the ceiling and was running around the top of the ceiling (like that shortcut in Super Mario with all those bricks leading to the warp zone.)

Attempting to jump off the ceiling into the wall resulted in me falling into void, and getting dropped into a random room in The Land of Darkness, where I was mobbed by monsters. Clever fallback plan, devs. Still killed me though.

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 1574