Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373844 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #8250 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:08 pm »

Personally, I employ the number system until Sergeant Rank, at which time soldiers recieve names.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: February 20, 2013, 10:24:33 pm »

I for one believe that people are unnecessarily min-maxing munchkins when they trash talk heavy lasers and/or mod them to be better.

Sub-optimal Players' Front unite!

*Fist pumps!*
* Sirus offers high-fives
*Remuthra fires his mad skills gun^ into the mass of suboptimal players*

^(please ignore distinct lack of mad skills)

You've obviously never fought suboptimal players before. What we lose in minor bonuses and gimmicks, we make up for in attachment to our characters, who are actually people to us, not a compilation of stats and munchkining. :P
Like for example, take Fire Emblem. A power-gamer would likely look up the various support charts and effects to get the most uber-l33t team he can possibly get, and damn what happens to the characters involved.

A guy like me does supports based on personal preference for the various relationships that can form.
I've never beaten a Fire Emblem Game, but when I decide to play one, I reload the save constantly until I can get through a battle without anyone dying.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:17 am »

I played a Fire Emblem game without knowing what I was getting in to. Many tears fell on my controller when I realized that they don't come back after they die.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:05 am »

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: February 21, 2013, 10:04:55 am »

A guy like me does supports based on personal preference for the various relationships that can form.
I on the other hand, kill off everybody but a dozen or so just to access the gaiden chapters for maximum exp farming.

It's not even that I need to, because arena abuse, but wtf I don't care. Still waiting to get Tiki so I can kill off Bantu.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: February 21, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »

Whitesnake, The Greatest Rock, was decimated by a zombie apocalypse.

The poor dwarves that fell first were raised against their brethren until the entire form was animated by an ethereal force unlike life.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: February 21, 2013, 08:01:31 pm »

Whitesnake, The Greatest Rock, was decimated by a zombie apocalypse.

The poor dwarves that fell first were raised against their brethren until the entire form was animated by an ethereal force unlike life.
That's where your problems la.  You used dwarves.  You should use magma instead.  Magma would never turn against you.  Unless you leave magma out too long. 

For me, I got bored, was out of ammo, and there was a big fat merchant ship that refused to go down to Davy Jone's Locker.  Note- U-Boats do not have the structural integrity or the mass to be efficient at ramming.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »

I learned an important lesson in fire safety in Alftand. Make sure you don't have a destruction spell active instead of a restoration spell when fighting something in a puddle of oil. DX

Zyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:11 pm »

I walked into a room, and instantly:
The goblin zaps a hexagonal wand! You die...
Apparently, it was a wand of draining. What are the odds of that?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:40 pm »

I've never beaten a Fire Emblem Game, but when I decide to play one, I reload the save constantly until I can get through a battle without anyone dying.
Most people play that way.  That and never having to worry about deaths because they have one grossly over-leveled soldier, but that's the path of boredom.  I always use the max number of fighters and thus remain only slightly stronger than the random grunts.

...Maybe I should join that suboptimal club...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25:07 pm »

Reloading after a character dies isn't optimal or suboptimal, it's wanting to ensure everyone survives. And unless you're playing on an emulator with save states, most of the FE games I've played only let you save in between battles, so if you lose someone near the end you have to make a hard choice between restarting the entire thing or losing a unique and possibly valuable member of the cause.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:42 pm »

Reloading after a character dies isn't optimal or suboptimal, it's wanting to ensure everyone survives. And unless you're playing on an emulator with save states, most of the FE games I've played only let you save in between battles, so if you lose someone near the end you have to make a hard choice between restarting the entire thing or losing a unique and possibly valuable member of the cause.

I've always enjoyed playing with perma-death.  In X-Com for example, I love that i can enable setting so even if I want to, I can't save some one who is dead.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:32 pm »

I've always enjoyed playing with perma-death.  In X-Com for example, I love that i can enable setting so even if I want to, I can't save some one who is dead.
X-COM is different though, since everyone starts out as faceless mooks and you can always get more. In games like FE, every character you recruit is unique and irreplaceable.

I do play a lot of games with perma-death rules, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it in Fire Emblem :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: February 22, 2013, 12:26:22 am »

The first Fire Emblem game I played was FE7. I played the entire thing, on an actual GBA (read: no savestates), and finished every single fight without a death. Took a lot of restarts, and I later discovered how many optional chapters I'd missed thanks to my incredibly slow and cautious playstyle, but I very nearly beat the game death-free.

Then I reached the last mission, which is a two-parter. I barely beat the first half without a death... and the game then said "congrats, now kill a goddamn dragon." I surrounded the beast with my strongest melee characters to limit its movement, but eventually my tanky guys needed to rotate out to heal... and I was forced to send less-important, squishy characters to fill the gaps in my ranks, so my more-important, equally-squishy characters didn't die. And, since there was no save between the two halves of the battle, I knew that reloading would mean replaying the entire first half again.

In the end, I lost ~3 characters to that final encounter. It didn't really hit me that they'd died until the epilogue started playing... and, instead of telling me what those characters had done with their lives, it told me when they'd died.  :'(

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:03 am »

Yeah, the talk about suboptimal was mainly about using more characters than I need.

I personally prefer to play FE reloading on deaths even though I play new Xcom on Ironman.  In Fire Emblem, its way too easy to beat most missions if you're willing to accept deaths, and then if your strong characters do die there's no satisfying loss condition, you just get stuck.

I did a no-scumming playthrough of Fire Emblem once, it wasn't that fun.  It was way too easy for most of the game, and then I forgot a boss had a hand-axe and lost my favorite mage in an easily avoidable situation.  A better way to make FE masochistic is adding self-imposed challenges.  No deaths is, again, a popular one, but there are also runs with character restrictions, speedruns, or single character runs.  I think someone beat a FE game by waiting until they get that thief you always get a few chapters in and then literally using no one else.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1575