Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373450 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #7935 on: January 21, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »

First time playing the original XCOM and my first objective is a Terror Mission (FUUUUUUU-). So we land, and I take my first steps out into the world. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out the controls, then I got into the groove of the game and wiped them out with two casualties. Then I shot down a small UFO and experienced a total party wipe. Good times!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm pretty sure the first Xcom was UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO defense. Terror From the Deep is the second game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7936 on: January 21, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure the first Xcom was UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO defense. Terror From the Deep is the second game.
I know. ._.
Its still one of the original XCOM games, from the original developers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:58:12 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: January 21, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »

I know. ._.

UFO defense had a bug that caused the difficulty to be stuck on beginner. TFtD rectified this by being always impossibly difficult.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

I was a security officer, which I've never done before. First, we've got a few traitors and normal criminals running around the station, keeping me quite busy. The criminals include at least two assistants who thought it was a good idea to run outside into space. I spacewalked with no equipment to save their asses, because I'm a badass. Then, as I return to the security office to retrieve a taser, the door is locked behind me. I assume it was an assistant with a screwdriver who'd done it, which was foolish of me. I bust open the door, and get out, to find that half the station is on fire, and we're locked in engineering. I use my trusty crowbar to get into the maintenence hatchways, and make my way to cargo, where I acquire a fire extinquisher.
Outside cargo, I die fighting a fire. After that, I hear all the other people talking, and dying mostly. The AI wasn't rogue. He was subverted, by a traitor. All but two of the traitors died in the fires and confusion, and the master traitor escaped on the shuttle with another non-traitor. The rest of us were left behind. Six people tried to cram into the escape pod in the Brig, but I don't know if they made it.
This game is awesome.

Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7939 on: January 21, 2013, 03:20:03 pm »

I know. ._.

UFO defense had a bug that caused the difficulty to be stuck on beginner. TFtD rectified this by being always impossibly difficult.
..what does that have to do with anything? :-[

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »

I know. ._.

Well, if you are playing TFTD, then it makes sense that you died. Because I've played TFTD extensively and 90% of that game is dying slower than the aliens.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7941 on: January 21, 2013, 03:31:55 pm »

I know. ._.

It's just referring to how extremely difficult TFTD is compared to UFO. Not an actual bug, it's just that UFO seems pathetically easy after playing TFTD to many people.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7942 on: January 21, 2013, 03:48:19 pm »

I know. ._.
It's just referring to how extremely difficult TFTD is compared to UFO. Not an actual bug, it's just that UFO seems pathetically easy after playing TFTD to many people.
I meant what does that have to do with whether or not its one of the original XCOM games (UFO Defense and TFTD are the 'originals' imho :/).

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: January 21, 2013, 04:14:40 pm »

The bullies in Lethal Lava Land. I've had Mario 64 for about a week, and they have caused more game-overs than all the previous levels combined.

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: January 21, 2013, 04:25:53 pm »

I know. ._.
But is it, and I quote, "the" original Xcom? That's all I was getting at, really.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: January 21, 2013, 04:33:31 pm »

UFO Defense is the original.  I died by accidently deleting the world.  Frowny face.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: January 21, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »

Assassinated by ninjas while I was traveling to my liege's castle.
R.I.P. Nokia of Shimazu

I know. ._.

Now that we're nitpicking, UFO:EU and Apocalypse (1st & 3rd game in the series) were made by Julian Gollop ie. "the original developer". TFTD was a quick cashcow made by a different team under the same company using most of EU's engine and assets. Not that it detracts from TFTD's masochistic glory if you're into it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #7947 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:29 pm »

No, X-COM and TFTD difficulty is broken due to a bug.

The difficulty setting gets reset to the default when you exit a battle. in the original the default was the easiest; in TFTD the default is the hardest.

So, your first battle was whatever difficulty you chose; but after that, it's always on the hardest difficulty.

I ended up patching my own copy back in the day; I'm sure you could find an 'unofficial patch' nowdays.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7948 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:30 pm »

No, X-COM and TFTD difficulty is broken due to a bug.

The difficulty setting gets reset to the default when you exit a battle. in the original the default was the easiest; in TFTD the default is the hardest.

So, your first battle was whatever difficulty you chose; but after that, it's always on the hardest difficulty.

I ended up patching my own copy back in the day; I'm sure you could find an 'unofficial patch' nowdays.
No one said the difficulty wasn't broken.. How did that even come up?
Let's just drop this shall we?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: January 22, 2013, 02:48:17 am »

Dear Enemy Spaceship;

Why you let fire asplode you?  Especially with my awesome missile tech on board, who just happens to share my name. . .

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1575