Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2374160 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #7200 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I figured that since the only hard limit to rocket size was hitting the command tower next to the launch pad, I could simply make an insanely wide flat rocket instead. While my 400-part megarocket with 30 solid boosters and 18 Mainsail engines could lift an insane payload halfway to the moon with the second stage alone, it makes the altimeter glitch out. Test landing to the moon without proper instruments was a suicide.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: October 22, 2012, 06:03:50 am »

Crushed in a collapse.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: October 22, 2012, 06:54:39 am »

Until I get my budget planned up right (for I had not planned to)...  I exited the dropship to find three reapers and equal floaters staring at my boy(er... 2 girls).  We took them on with only on casualty only to find 3 more floaters behind my skyranger.  I quit after, but I had lost 5 men by then... The first month was by far the hardest yet, to me.  Can't believe I missed this game.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: October 22, 2012, 08:06:33 am »

((You lucky Reudh :D))

The world ends in fire.

Well, actually not. The world just ends when the economy does. All the countries allied at my side, abandoned me over a cheap pact sworn to the unknown. For all the men and women who have fought and died, their nations have left their graves unmarked and forgotten. Only with our special brand of...re-purposing enemy tech and equipment do we survive. Stolen heaps of wreckage and even from their own dead serve as our lifeblood.

Because despite this being a war between worlds, everyone still demands a hefty wage. Cursed aliens and their monopoly schemes. :'(

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7204 on: October 22, 2012, 10:54:30 am »

I was alone in my ship, the Blood Vortex (Originally the Vortex). I'd been doing well, hull at full integrity, no permanent damage at all in fact, though I was a little low on supplies.

Suddenly, I come across a slaver vessel. They hail me and demand one of my crew, or else they would destroy my ship.

I decide to take a gamble. I grab one piece of straw and cut it short. I grasp it firmly in one hand. With the other, I carefully pick one straw from the small bundle (consisting on a single straw), and pull it out.

Looking at the short straw, I mutter "damn," and beam myself over to the slavers.

(FTL)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:09:42 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: October 22, 2012, 10:55:39 am »

Ha!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: October 22, 2012, 11:05:08 am »

They actually let you give up your last guy?  You should sued for an extra guy!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: October 22, 2012, 05:27:54 pm »

Got trapped by a web while on the run from a byahkee after I ran out of shotgun and tommy rounds, so I pulled my pistol, killed it with a lucky critical, then 10 fucking cultists armed with shotguns and tommy guns kick down the doors, I take out a few then realize I was down to my last clip and out of throwables. I take 8 last shots, throw my pistol, then try to escape. I succeed, pull a knife and take out a cultist, take a shotgun blast to a face from the last cultist, then charge, dodge everything, and kill him. Then I step in a trap, go blind, and get eaten by a zombie. Anticlimactic much?

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: October 22, 2012, 06:11:06 pm »

... I saw the word 'Byakhee'. I must know if this 'Infraa Arcana' is a roguelike, and whether or not it's free.[/lovecraftfanboy]

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: October 22, 2012, 06:29:10 pm »

It is. Yes, both. Have some joy, it's free!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:33 pm »

Early Abduction mission on my latest game. I've got a Corporal Sniper with squad sight, a squaddie heavy, and two rookies. One has my medkit and the other has a shotgun and arc thrower.

I've modded the game to allow rifles to all soldiers and shotguns to rookies and supports. I also have several Second Wave options enable, most notably for this mission Damage Roulette, which lowers the minimum damage weapons can do. It might also raise the cap, but I haven't seen that yet.

In any case, we're in a construction yard. No real good spots for my sniper, but I set him up in a corner and hope for the best as we search for aliens.

We soon find a pack of three sectoids right ahead of us in an incomplete concrete structure. We get into a firefight which goes poorly. By Heavy blasts one of them and most of their cover with a rocket, but the medic rookie is taken out by a crit. The heavy also gets shot twice, but for low damage and manages to survive with a single hit point left.

We jockey for position a bit and I have the shotgun guy move up despite some reaction fire. The sniper takes out one alien and the other is open for the next turn, but moving up the shotgun activated the next batch of aliens.

I stun the remaining alien near us and move to deal with the next batch. Sadly, they're behind a building and my sniper can't get a bead on them, so I move him up to the top of a small building with a pile of cinderblocks for cover. My heavy goes around the left and my shotgun the right.

We blast the group hiding back behind the building, but the sniper gets flanked at one point and takes a nasty hit, dropping him to 1 hit point. We also activate another group on a building across from the one the sniper is on.

A nasty firefight ensures, but we manage to take two of them out with no problems. The last one calls for help and runs off.

My shotgun runs up onto that building and takes him out, but we now have three more aliens to deal with.

The quickly take out the shotgun guy, and I'm left with two badly injured soldiers who literally can't take any more punishment.

While my heavy reloads the sniper trades fire with them.

Then one sectoid mind-boosts the other. I see my chance for victory. If I can take out the booster, the boosted one will die as well!

I have the Heavy run over to the side and flank the booster. If she kills him, we win. If she fails, she's toast.

She hits but only for 2 damage, not enough to kill it. Of course she is promptly gunned down.

I have one shot left at this, and have my sniper throw a grenade at the wounded sectoid. Apparently the blast radius wasn't quite correct, because while it showed the alien just inside he didn't take any damage. My sniper was killed the very next turn.

Total wipe. And, kind of my fault, since I really should have run the sniper around for that grenade to make sure it would be good. But it looked like it would just work from where he was.

*sigh*

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: October 23, 2012, 05:36:48 pm »

Died falling down the stairs. Again. Fuck.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: October 23, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »

Died falling down the stairs. Again. Fuck.
What I am going to do right now is warn you about the stairs. You seem to forget about them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: October 23, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »

Was hit by a evil darkness possessed bulldozer over and over again while murderer's hurled knives and axes at my head.

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: October 23, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

Shot, stabbed, ran over, burned, bitten/mauled, and punched to death, I think.

Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 1575