Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376348 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #3675 on: September 22, 2011, 10:09:43 pm »

Helping a lowbie catch up in levels because he decided to use a different character than what he was so far.  Driving around with the lowbie in the gunner seat because they can't drive to save their life (Problem between chair and keyboard, dude just can't keep the car moving in a straight line) and there are some bandits driving around in similar cars.

Lowbie shoots them with the car's rocket launcher and it doesn't make a dent.  Seems the car's rocket launcher uses the gunner's stats to determine DPS.  I do the best I can with my front mounted gun, but the vehicle combat is too quick and manuvery for that to be effective.

Car starts going pinto and I bail, friend starts to after I do but is too slow and is caught up in the explosion and is incapacitated.  I start doing my highbe saves the day thing, plugging the bandit cars expertly with my rifle on foot, blowing each one up in two hits as their bullets ineffectually bounce off my shield.  I think I get them all and go to help my lowbie buddy.

Then one more car that I didn't see flies over a hill like something out of Dukes of Hazard and runs us both over.  Doublekill.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:52 pm »

I kinda recommend getting M&B: Warband first. It has a better tutorial, more freedom, and no guns.
Guns are cool and all, but they tend to be one-hit-kills on pretty much anything. A single lucky shot can incapacitate you.

That is the reason I like WFaS over Warband! WFaS is a lot more exciting due to lethal bullets and it is not completely dominated by player skills in melee. Being shot in the back can take you down, no matter how epic fighter the player is. That is awesome. It brings in true atmosphere of a mass battle. Plus it opens more options regarding fighting; there are many fighting styles available, without any of them being inherently superior. Teamwork matters more as well; it is awesome to see firing lines, pike squads and stuff like that.

I really don't get the appeal of the whole random-instadeath thing. When I die in a video game, I want it to be due to my own mistakes, not the random number god. Sudden unexpected challenges are good, but sudden unexpected GAMEOVER is not.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: September 22, 2011, 10:21:50 pm »

Reminds me of one of my deaths from the same game. I was driving though an area filled with antlion-looking things, a bit over-leveled from side quests. I'm just running over what I don't shoot, until I run smack into a corrosive barrel left in the middle of the road. Car is instantly destroyed, and by sheer luck the explosion also takes out all enemies in the vicinity. Nothing to do but slowly bleed out.

@ Biag: Ok, I may have overstated the lethality of bullets to a degree: there are options to reduce the amount of damage you take, reducing what would be insta-unconsciousness to a (still highly damaging) wound. Besides, a smart WF&S player keeps their distance from enemy gun-users rather than charging in to get cut down, or remains mobile on horseback to attack musketeers who are busy reloading.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: September 22, 2011, 11:47:20 pm »

I, the lowly stealth traitor, have been waiting for over an hour for an opportunity to strike, when most of security (including my target) dies from a radiation cloud. The acting captain then goes AFK, leaving me, a simple security guard, in charge of the ship. I start getting ready to call the pods when suddenly I get a PDA message telling me Viktor has an illegal pill. Of course, I don't want to blow my cover, so I plan on taking him to the brig and questioning him, hoping that he might reveal his true nature so we could help each other finish our objectives. Unfortunately, I am forced to confront the suspected fellow operative in public, and am thusly unable to tell him my purpose on the ship. He was carrying an illegal weapon, and rather than risk it being found in a search, he decided to whip it out and shoot me before I could react. He finishes me while holding off three hostages, but eventually succumbs to the security bot roaming around. I was most displeased.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: September 23, 2011, 01:52:25 am »

While that does sounds fun and all, and, on paper, appeal to me, it kind of killed my interest in WFaS when it started happening to me. Not so much because I mind not being an invincible god of melee death, but because, in my experience with Warband, the player being incapacitated turns a crack team of elite man-killers into an incompetent boob squad who can autoresolve themselves to death with the greatest of ease when they'd take hardly any casualties if the battle were actually played out.

The keyword is multiplayer. I was playing a massive multiplayer siege server with 160 players, about 80 guys attacking and 80 defending a castle. My death hardly ruined the attacking force. As a defender I tend to focus more on teamwork anyway; now I just wanted to try killing those pesky musketeers who kept killing our guys using a different tactic.

I really don't get the appeal of the whole random-instadeath thing. When I die in a video game, I want it to be due to my own mistakes, not the random number god. Sudden unexpected challenges are good, but sudden unexpected GAMEOVER is not.

Attackers have five second spawn time in multiplayer sieges (30 second spawn timer for defenders), so not much of a gameover. Plus I don't think there is anything unexpected or random at being shot while running around alone inside enemy-held fortress. It was a pure suicide run to begin with, I just wanted to see if I could get anything done, for fun. :P Besides, remember that losing is fun! Running towards a castle wall and having a dozen guys before and around you drop dead during first 20 seconds make you value cover.

...but yeah, this is off-topic, I'm sure there is M&B topic on th forum if you want to keep discussing the game.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:09:23 am by Majestic7 »

Beorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:14 pm »

Luefisk cube recursion ....

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: September 23, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »

I, the lowly stealth traitor, have been waiting for over an hour for an opportunity to strike, when most of security (including my target) dies from a radiation cloud. The acting captain then goes AFK, leaving me, a simple security guard, in charge of the ship. I start getting ready to call the pods when suddenly I get a PDA message telling me Viktor has an illegal pill. Of course, I don't want to blow my cover, so I plan on taking him to the brig and questioning him, hoping that he might reveal his true nature so we could help each other finish our objectives. Unfortunately, I am forced to confront the suspected fellow operative in public, and am thusly unable to tell him my purpose on the ship. He was carrying an illegal weapon, and rather than risk it being found in a search, he decided to whip it out and shoot me before I could react. He finishes me while holding off three hostages, but eventually succumbs to the security bot roaming around. I was most displeased.

I think the right thing to do would have been to take the captain's ID, make your ID "Charles Gordon" or some such nonesense, then hide and wait for the pods. Blow a hole in the ship and plasma flood the area next to the pod if you have to.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: September 23, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »

Luefisk cube recursion ....
Yo dawg, I heard you like DoD, so I put a cube in your cube so you can explode while Dredmore laughs at you.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: September 23, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »

Was fighting a named darkelf, when I triggered a fire trap, which in turn took down the pillars that supported the cave.
On the plus side, the elf went down with me.

Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:32 pm »

Was fighting a named darkelf, when I triggered a fire trap, which in turn took down the pillars that supported the cave.

Now you're buried with an elf next to you.

FOREVER

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: September 23, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »

Now you're buried with an elf next to you.

FOREVER
Nah, I just respawned and went to clear the rubble ;)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: September 23, 2011, 05:15:37 pm »

Swarmed by a ton of bees.

Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: September 23, 2011, 06:28:31 pm »

Dude roll, dude roll, timetables, cut...
WHOP!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: September 23, 2011, 07:45:21 pm »

Death by lag, stupid security, and revolutionaries. SS13 admin banned me for saying  I "Damn, It lagged so bad I died" or some such. I literally was stuck in one spot while another guy ran CIRCLES around me a dozen times, and another stood there beating me over the head. I wouldnt move at all, no matter how much I clicked. Was murdered by the fucking lag. Then, some dipshit decides to scream for me to be banned, probably pissed because I had just arrested him for trespassing. How the fuck is that IC in OOC, when someone else just said the SAME thing as me and all I did was agree? RAAAAAAAAAAAGE>

</Bad-moments-in-online-gaming>

(Man, my first rage in years. Heh)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3689 on: September 23, 2011, 09:12:46 pm »

Was that on a Goonstation?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 1575