Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1560 1561 [1562] 1563 1564 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376229 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23415 on: June 10, 2023, 06:09:42 pm »

An arena wave against a few undead, including a Skeleton Knight boss, to unlock the ability to unlock the random chance of an Irish Longsword appearing in dungeon runs.

Said boss kept damaging me by hitting my sword, even without using a power attack - which the game tells you to "deflect" to avoid damage from, but I have no idea on what that entails. After several tries, I just couldn't out-DPS him.

Eventually beat him by nearly stun-locking him by flailing my hands at him and slowly pushing him off a ledge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23416 on: June 11, 2023, 08:49:59 am »

Realm Grinder is an idle game, so you don't actually die, just lose progress.

I just ascended to ascension 3 (reincarnation 152 right now, it starts at 150). That means everything is more expensive, research (powerful boosts for that part of a run) works different again, and I need to unlock new powers to deal with the increased prices. My current goal is to buy a power (for a single coin!) that requires me to collect 1e18 spells cast (takes a few hours), 1e7 clicks (the right build can get over 160 auto-clicks per second, so this takes *some* time), 1e64 faction coins (I managed to collect 1e53 in only 9 hours, so...), and never have more than 350,000 buildings (I choose to build those, and can easily stay around 300k) or over 1e17 assistants. Assistants each give me part of my base production *and* faction coins each second. They are what I need to complete this challenge, which is a problem when there's a maximum.

As I said, I managed 1e53 faction coins overnight. This isn't anywhere close to what I need (1/1,000,000,000th), so I took a research that is supposed to be part of the recommended build for this challenge. Immediately, 2 of my random spells both increased assistants, giving me 4e17 assistants instead of the ~e14 I was staying safely at, and locking me out of the challenge for this entire run. maybe 2-3 more hours before I can reset and try another run, because each run has a higher score you need to reach to restart. I've failed 3 times now, and need to go looking for new solutions.

Edit: I had to use Discord (which also feels like a loss), and when I was finally able to spell things correctly (the cursor moves around while I'm typing, because something keeps trying to load, because Disqus is so badly programmed), I learned that I need to get at least those numbers, and the word MAX in capital letters means I want at least that many, not that it's some sort of maximum.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 09:30:11 am by Iduno »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23417 on: June 11, 2023, 06:20:46 pm »

For a certain definition of "died"

My allies invaded one of my colonies and yoinked it from me. Meanwhile, because we're allies, I can't take it back. No fucking clue why the game did that, so I retaliated by entering the editor and straight up erasing the colony because fuck the game allowing the AI to straight up cheat.

Distant Worlds
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23418 on: June 12, 2023, 08:51:16 am »

Goddamned Nicholaus the Fallen. First time, I got mobbed by his summons. Second time, I actually beat him, but one of his minions, which should have died when he dropped just like every other goddamn boss that summons minions(as well as the basic enemy version of him, Skeleton Priests), killed me immediately after. Third attempt, the normal enemies throughout the graveyard that weren't present during the second attempt respawned, and I, bereft of any healing items, tried to blow through and get my stuff. And died. Fourth attempt, almost reached him, but a Skeleton Assassin got me just before reaching him. Succeeded on the fifth attempt.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23419 on: June 12, 2023, 10:07:08 am »

Playing as Lunar Empire, decided that war with changelings is way too easy and declared war on Stalliongrad as well. While not having an army to spare. And declaring war on Stalliongrad also started war on equestrian communard splitoff near changelings' border as well, and it was my ally before. And, despite what game and mod told me, Disciples of the Night didn't actively help me after finishing off their own enemies. And a batch of 9 divisons refused to go to assigned positions no matter what i did with it for no apparent reason.  ::)

HoI 4: Equestria at War

Recently patched in Zebrica turned out to be, for the most part, a massive pile of faceless nobodies who do nothing and affect nothing except game speed (which is why the struggle took many hours instead of merely few hours). Somewhat surprising, considering that mod is otherwise detailed just past the point of graphomany. I'll see if i can rollback to earlier versions of game and mod, since my computer runs the mod slowly as it was (and it doesn't really run base game at all).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 12:10:27 pm by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23420 on: June 12, 2023, 05:51:18 pm »

Toyed with the platformer Sunblaze (currently free on gog) and nearly got mad of rage throwing my monitor through the window...

1st chapter, the "tutorial" has 40 levels, i painfully reached the 37th with already 94 deaths and decided i had enough anger building up at that point :D

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #23421 on: June 12, 2023, 11:10:40 pm »

The goddamn graveyard.

Enemies that basically demand being fought with weapons, in a segment with a lot of narrow choke points with weapons scattered about...

The enemies that aren't fast enough to be dangerous are so slow I once died because I lost focus and started wandering, and then blundered into one of them.

Considering this is a brawler... I'm going to give the game credit for conducting an experiment, but I wouldn't call the results a success.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23422 on: June 14, 2023, 03:09:30 pm »

My biggest annoyance with this game is that you cannot outright prohibit what abilities your allies use, only give them generic guidelines. You can tell Esther to stick to healing, and she'll do that, sometimes doubling up with the other guy on strong healing spells for minor damage, but then she'll waste MP on situationally-useful buffs and a weak, slow attack spell with limited range. She pisses through so much coffee(the game's MP-restoration item line is various coffees) doing this that I had to abuse a glitch just to pay for it all. Also, coffee is a diuretic, which probably doesn't help with her pissing problem.

The real problem with her using those buff spells is that they immobilize the entire party for a few seconds. Which can be a problem during the final boss, who has several minions that like to gang up on the player, and hit hard enough that a full salvo can take them out. And trying to raise fallen characters is painfully slow.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23423 on: June 15, 2023, 01:25:09 pm »

Over a million deaders without a single territory taken. Mostly republican volunteers, who managed to exhaust their own manpower by repeatedly and futilely attacking Hellquill's line. That river must be just corpses at that point, slowly sliding forward in a bloody ooze.

HoI 4: Equestria at War

Nice time to have a fight, guys!
Although, that wasn't a 'death'.
Abandoned 1.5 years long playthrough because interaction of Biotech and mods was simply too unbearable. Started a new one, leaving only Royality DLC on, for content and without planning to use it's mechanics. Settled near Moyo Cartel settlement, having not read that they require a title to trade just like the Empire. Shrugged and gained that title 1.5 years in, but then it turned out that permit selection screen is totally empty and spams errors. So i'm either can't trade with my neighbors or stuck with a button on a pawn that does nothing but throw errors at me. May you burn in hell. May you burn in hell.

Rimworld
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 05:00:48 pm by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23424 on: June 18, 2023, 09:57:12 am »

The tricky platforming screen that made me raging enough to uninstall Guacamelee :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PizjoNOryPY&t=721s
(edit forgot to link to the actual time in the video)

I know how to proceed,  you need to reach the upper platform then
 - jump key to jump ahead
 - press dodge key to move through the vines
 - re jump key (to do the double jump)
 - pressing left then right keys + pressing the super key to do the horizontal punch superpower
 - pressing the up key + super key again to do the vertical super uppercut moving slightly forward a la Ryu/Ken to finally reach the away platform
all of course in correct timing to not get a failed move and so avoid touching the bottom vines , as that move you back to the bottom and you have to re-reach the upper platform again and try that rodeo of key pressing

With keyboard it's a completely utter pain, can't believe how much time i pressed the wrong key or pressed it too early/too later and missed the timing to move through that damned screen.

After getting close to fall into madness at Sunblaze then Guacamelee on the same wekk, i guess never again i'll touch this kind of platformer :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 06:09:25 am by Robsoie »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23425 on: June 18, 2023, 03:29:41 pm »

Downloaded Yet Another Catgirl Race (Kiiro). Even supposed to be compatible with Biotech.
Humans sometimes spawn with their backstories. Annoying, but ok.
Nudity bad thought is doubled with one from mod.
Upon loading a save they sometimes turn invisible and spam errors every tick.
And remove everyone's priorities from the work tab ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

And i'm, again, 1.5 years into playtrough. I hate this soooo much.

Rimworld
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 05:10:32 pm by MCreeper »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23426 on: June 18, 2023, 05:35:28 pm »

Fucking high tech star fortresses are a nightmare to deal with. Their shield modules are actually separate from the weapons platforms, so the weapons can keep firing while there's a fortress shield up reducing shield damage to 10% of normal. On top of that, they have deeeeeeeeeep flux pools so when the AI gives them plasma cannons in every large energy slot they can ceaselessly fire them.

At least one ship is dead or multiple crippled before I'm even in engagement range.

Starsector

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23427 on: June 21, 2023, 06:45:11 pm »

Decided to go with Pakey(Paras/Mankey) and Chargey(Charmander/Pidgey) against Brock.note

This was a remarkably terrible choice. His opener was Geodgey(Geodude/Pidgey). Who one-shot Pakey with Gust, then one-shot Chargey with Rock Tomb. 4x weaknesses on both. Ouch.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23428 on: June 23, 2023, 09:00:25 am »

I apparently am really bad at timing dodge on action games. While the prologue/demo was surprisingly easy... I've died to three mini-bosses1 so far in the first ~4 hours of FFXVI.

It's the most risk I've felt in a long time in an FF game to be honest.  (Even though I have wiped a few times in earlier FFs... usually those were only late-game bosses with status gimmicks. Not just mini-bosses.)

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23429 on: June 23, 2023, 11:16:21 am »

Russia loves me. Protective attitude, good relations.

So it obviously makes perfect sense that they'd declare war on me at every opportunity. Seriously, they're absolutely gagging to do so. I declare war on someone miles away from them and guess who immediately joins their side? Russia! I've won two wars in spite of them so far, basically taking out the victim before Russia could drop my war score enough.

I like it when the game's AI actually makes sense rather than acting arbitrarily.

Victoria 3

EDIT: Fungal caverns, already a risky proposition.

I picked up the first wand I saw there, a thing which shot out homing spores at a rapid rate. Not bad at all.

Used it, and the whole map collapsed. I have no idea which attachment caused that, but everything was collapsing constantly. I got trapped, the enemies got trapped, I blew my way out and got swarmed.

Noita
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 11:39:11 am by Great Order »
Pages: 1 ... 1560 1561 [1562] 1563 1564 ... 1575