Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1553 1554 [1555] 1556 1557 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376397 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23310 on: March 14, 2023, 09:27:10 am »

Oh, it's only been like 6 months since I've played Alien Isolation... maybe I should fire it up again.  And I hear there's a mod that makes the alien's AI harder, so that might be worth a look too.

It's unfortunately too easy to abuse the alien's AI after your first encounter with it in medical, to the point I think I had more trouble with the Working Joes than the alien the last couple of times I played it.  Then again, at least part of that was because shooting them would attract the alien.
I know there was a Alien: Colonial Marines mod that fixed the fucked up Alien AI. Turns out there was a single typo in the code that resulted in it being a complete dumbarse. As soon as the typo was fixed the AI got notably smarter.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23311 on: March 16, 2023, 05:46:42 pm »

Less than one day before finishing a very lengthy and critical breakthrough, the cultivator making the breakthrough decides to leave her cultivation room to feed one of the turtles, wasting weeks of effort. I built a wall in front of her door for that.

Oh, and immediately after that, one of the turtles(in all likelihood the same one) turns into a demon, and badly poisons another turtle before it took several spears through the head. The other turtle is going to be fine, I merely wasted some expensive medicine on it. Not sure why I bothered. I have a lot of goddamn turtles. For some reason.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23312 on: March 17, 2023, 11:38:45 am »

Gave up because France was gonna dominion me.

It wouldn't have, except the game decided they were going to get significantly increased offence for no reason. Same tech levels, same equipment, a commander that was just as good as mine.

Game just gave them an extra 15 offence.

Victoria 3
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23313 on: March 17, 2023, 06:44:58 pm »

Very nearly beat the Flood Dragon. Destroyed all four limbs, and nearly got through its Forbidden Scale, when the damage to the sect proved too much to recover from. I could take one or two outers being killed, which did happen despite the fact that the dragon shouldn't really attack outers. I could take several buildings including the Mini-Universe being hit(the crystal was still intact). But what killed it for me was my Sage Fruit plant, at 100% growth and a little over 70% maturity, getting destroyed. That took nearly two in-game years to grow that.

Endless fight in the arena, wielding a spatha and parma(shield). Killed 140 enemies, before being brought down by a fireball to back. A decent workout.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23314 on: March 21, 2023, 07:51:11 pm »

More of a metaphorical death than a literal one in Ostranauts, but I was quietly detaching a cool inertial confinement fusion reactor in the vacuum of space for salvage in order to get enough money to cover my impending mortgage payments on my cheap shuttle.  I had nothing but an unarmored pressure suit and the ruined hull of the abandoned, unusable freighter I was salvaging to protect me against any passing micrometeoroids or passing debris...

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:56:33 pm by Culise »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23315 on: March 22, 2023, 10:57:29 am »

Got stuck in... trash can and a rock that are meter apart?  ???
Blue Reflection: Second Light
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:00:49 am by MCreeper »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23316 on: March 22, 2023, 12:45:23 pm »

More of a metaphorical death than a literal one in Ostranauts...

Is that just a very flavorful death/respawn text, or did something actually happen?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:00:56 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23317 on: March 22, 2023, 03:34:58 pm »

More of a metaphorical death than a literal one in Ostranauts, but I was quietly detaching a cool inertial confinement fusion reactor in the vacuum of space for salvage in order to get enough money to cover my impending mortgage payments on my cheap shuttle.  I had nothing but an unarmored pressure suit and the ruined hull of the abandoned, unusable freighter I was salvaging to protect me against any passing micrometeoroids or passing debris...

Ooh, this looks pretty good. Might have to look into it for myself.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23318 on: March 22, 2023, 05:29:24 pm »

Is that just a very flavorful death/respawn text, or did something actually happen?
It happened, but I didn't die except metaphorically of remembered embarrassment. There seem to be little random reminiscence events that can affect your social/mood stats like this one, and this one was too amusing and a bit too close-to-home for me to miss out on posting it. 

Mind, one does need to be careful of real FOD in the game. I'm currently repairing a freighter with an intact reactor and nav system for my own use, since it promised to be a complete upgrade over my current shuttle once repaired.  I had repressurized the hull using what little O2 and N2 the last owner left in it both to make sure it was airtight and to let myself work in shirt-sleeves without having to return to my shuttle for regular fresh air every few minutes (pressure suits, unlike EVA suits, have no external air supply or CO2 scrubbers to keep costs down, so you have to regularly refresh the air in a pressurized environment to avoid hypoxia - lack of O2 - or hypercapnia - too much CO2).  The catch is that the freighter got hit by something while I was working forward on getting the hull fully repaired.  With the hull in such marginal shape and all of the powered hatches throughout the interior opened up so I could move even if the power went out, the first signs of trouble I had were (a) all of the pressure alarms going off and (b) the air pressure through the entire ship rapidly going to nil, when normally those hatches would have kept the problem restricted to one room.  Because my pressure suit helmet was off, it vented as well, and I was left with a frantic run from the forward bridge aft to my (thankfully still airtight) shuttle before I succumbed to hypoxia.  I made it, but it was a near thing. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 05:33:10 pm by Culise »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23319 on: March 26, 2023, 01:26:18 am »

RIP, Rolan.  1894-1901 (and d-mn the Traitor and her calendar!)
An individual of many talents, but primarily:
A gentle thief, who stole the Masters themselves to the surface
A pacifist... mostly.  Certainly no murderer.  (thanks to St Joshua)
A sender of tender missives, at one point.
A colleague and devoted nemesis of that most implacable Detective, whose methods are like that of an augur 🖤
London's Blood, Marrow and Nerves.
A... hm.  I can't recall.  And neither can they, or their clients.
A liberator of souls.
A liberator of clay.
A liberator of workers ✊
A liberator of stoves! 🔥x3
And, despite wearing a white suit on the board - a liberator of night.
in the end, their worst (material) fear realized: a feeder of fish.  Guest of the Fathomking.  What curiosity pulled them ever to the wine-dark Zee despite knowing, in their heart, their fate?  Only the Boatman knows.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23320 on: March 26, 2023, 02:42:05 am »

Played a blitz game after a long lull only to discover on turn 20 that admin has set completely asinine throne options. Didn't even get to fight anyone.
Dominions 5
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:45:46 am by MCreeper »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23321 on: March 26, 2023, 12:03:46 pm »

494. Might not have been a nice round 500, which I likely could have gotten if I'd put any effort into trying... But I was so done. It'd already been going for over 24 hours and I wanted my computer back.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23322 on: March 31, 2023, 03:13:04 pm »

Failed two aquarq harvesting missions in Deep Rock Galactic due to not knowing some of the threats I was facing.

First was in a snowy cavern, which had a frankly ridiculous enemy spawn rate despite being done solo.  I ran entirely out of ammo, which has never happened before, and the mineral veins were well hidden so I was actually running around and looking for nitra while I had no ammo so I could call in more.  Bosco and the harvesting platform saved me, and I finally found enough to call in a resupply.  I gave up on my secondary objective of mining some mineral I'd never seen before, since I couldn't find more than one vein of it, and just finished the aquarq harvesting.

As expected, a big wave of enemies showed up, and I managed to fend them off, except I ran off an edge while backpedaling and used up one of my revives.  Got back up and back into the fight, where I got knocked off again, to the same effect.

Then a big, orange exploding glyphid showed up.  I managed to kill it, but severely underestimated the blast radius of its death boom, and died again.  Lost an hour to that mission.

So, I tried again, this time in a cave with a bunch of thorny plants.  I'd never seen any of this before, and stumbled into a stabber vine, which can kill you in two hits.  I tried shooting it, but it didn't seem to have a health bar, so I assumed it was indestructible and was just an environmental hazard.  The enemy spawn rate was much less insane in this mission, so over the course of another hour I managed to find the aquarqs I needed, as well as the mushrooms I needed for the secondary objective.

The only problem was that this took me past another stabber vine down a ledge.  I was able to avoid it to harvest the last aquarq, but had to use a zip line to get back up.  Going up the zip line was too slow, so it stabbed me off of the zipline and I fell to my first death.  Got up, panicked and ran away, but ran into a corner.  Second death.  Panicked again and tried to run away, but same thing, third death and another hour wasted.

Then I looked them up and saw that they can be killed, which was very frustrating to learn.  I even tried having Bosco shoot them with rockets, but it didn't seem to do anything in game.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23323 on: March 31, 2023, 03:51:54 pm »

Ooh. Rough. You probably already know this, but just in case, you can have bosco go and mine out and carry back heavy things like aquarqs, so long as you can get a laser pointer on them he'll go and do it. It can massively speed up solo aquarq missions since then you don't need to worry about physically getting to and back from the more difficult ones.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23324 on: March 31, 2023, 05:51:54 pm »

I did figure that out late into the second attempt, which helped some.  What sucked with the death with the stabber vine at the end was that he was carrying an aquarq already, so I didn't send him to go get the one that was dangerous to acquire.  It didn't occur to me at the time to take the one out of his hands so he could go grab it for me...
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1553 1554 [1555] 1556 1557 ... 1575