Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1544 1545 [1546] 1547 1548 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376858 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #23175 on: October 23, 2022, 05:33:24 pm »

I'm not so sure on the "Climbing three meters of sheer, smooth rock wall" though.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23176 on: October 27, 2022, 07:00:05 pm »

So many 14mm pistols, assault rifles and SMGs with AP ammo in Vault 15.

I didn't really pay the restoration patch option to rebalance AP ammo much heed, but I understand now that it was not something to be taken lightly and vastly changes the balance of the game in some places.  Vault 15 is one of them.  I know this wasn't exactly a cake walk without the patch, but I'm pretty sure most of the guards would burst for <10 damage against combat armor without the patch, where I'm routinely taking 40+ damage from bursts and occasionally 150 damage critical hits.  The latter may not be much different from before, but those other hits are just too much to handle on my own.

It took quite a few tries and getting a lot of lucky shots to the head to knock guards unconscious so I could handle them just 1-2 at a time.

And to think I thought the wanamingos were bad enough, but at least they still only do about 5 damage per hit.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23177 on: October 27, 2022, 07:29:35 pm »

So many 14mm pistols, assault rifles and SMGs with AP ammo in Vault 15.

I didn't really pay the restoration patch option to rebalance AP ammo much heed, but I understand now that it was not something to be taken lightly and vastly changes the balance of the game in some places.  Vault 15 is one of them.  I know this wasn't exactly a cake walk without the patch, but I'm pretty sure most of the guards would burst for <10 damage against combat armor without the patch, where I'm routinely taking 40+ damage from bursts and occasionally 150 damage critical hits.  The latter may not be much different from before, but those other hits are just too much to handle on my own.

It took quite a few tries and getting a lot of lucky shots to the head to knock guards unconscious so I could handle them just 1-2 at a time.

And to think I thought the wanamingos were bad enough, but at least they still only do about 5 damage per hit.

Wanamingos? Fallout 2?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23178 on: October 27, 2022, 08:15:51 pm »

Whoops, forgot to mention it was Fallout 2, yes.  Not sure if the wanamingo thing was just not knowing what they are since they're easy to miss, but they're the freaky alien things you also encounter in the tanker in San Francisco.  You can find a mine in Redding with a quest to clear out 20 or so of them, and it sucks.  Good thing I had the better criticals perk, which gives a chance to just flat kill them with head shots regardless of damage.  I'd have never finished them with the amount of ammo I had otherwise.

Man, I remember this game being harder than Fallout 1, but not this hard.  Wanamingos seem unchanged and were always mini-deathclaws.  Otherwise, I'm not sure if it's stuff from the restoration patch, which I mostly installed to fix bugs, or if my build is just that bad.  Admittedly, I'm asking for a lot of trouble by going without companions and a low ST build that makes rifle accuracy terrible, but I've done it before many times without this much trouble.  Vault 15 was never this hard.

I mostly suspect that the patch is making this harder because it also does things like add a lock on Trader Vic's door in Klamath with a high lockpick requirement to bypass, which doesn't exist in the vanilla game.  I know the AP ammo balance changes are having some impact as well, but I don't know if it rebalanced any other stats.

The new content that it "restores" is generally way overtuned as well, it feels.  There's a slaver area you can visit to rescue Sulik's sister, and I couldn't beat the slavers there until after I'd reached the NCR, despite it being available as soon as you meet Metzger in the Den.  I haven't seen it yet, but it also "restores" a sub in San Francisco that you have to do several tasks on to launch the tanker, and the guide mentions that several of these tasks have a 50% failure rate at 100% skill...

Not sure I recommend it, and may stick to the base game next time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23179 on: October 28, 2022, 04:46:08 am »

When the Labour of Love update for terraria arrived, I decided to start an expert mode playthrough of mediumcore. For those who don't know, mediumcore is the mode where you drop all items when you die. Sounds crazy, I know but I heard a few people passionately and convincingly argue that mediumcore is an underrated way to play the game.

Anyway, so in today's session I decided to try to fight the Brain of Cuthulu boss. It killed me very quickly. After tediously running all the way across the map to pick up my stuff (cause this is mediumcore), I decided to go to the dungeon to try my luck at grabbing a free Waterbolt spellbook since the piercing projectile might help against that boss.

There wasn't one on the surface, so I tried to go deeper. I figured that if a dungeon guardian does show up, then I'll just quickly drink a recall potion and teleport out before it gets me.

Unfortunately my trigger finger was not fast enough and the guardian one-shot me. Now began the frightening task of running all the way to the dungeon to pick up my stuff. Terraria was a troll though and decided to make the night where I head out a Blood moon which is an event that increases spawn rates and adds more dangerous enemies. I try my best to fight my way through the blood moon, but I die a third of the way along the road and drop my backup loadout (it is essential to have backup loadouts when you play on mediumcore).

Eventually the blood moon ends, I head out again, and I manage to make some progress this time. I recover the loadout I dropped during the blood moon and I complete the long treck to the dungeon and grab a full inventory worth of stuff before teleporting out. There are still a few important left-overs that I didn't have room for but I can easily grab that on a second trip.

Except from then on, RNG would screw me and make the dungeon guardian spawn instantly as soon as I crossed the threshold and kill me before I could react. I lost loadout after loadout, and backup loadouts too. Every time I threw away an inventory at this thing, my character became weaker and even surviving the treck to the dungeon became a crapshoot.

Eventually I decided to do the smart thing and bring some wood and a bed to build a house right in front of the dungeon. That way I could make all the attempts I needed to without wasting so much time on the tedious treck back each time I died. Unfortunately, during this final teck I died in the Crimson (an evil biome) at nightfall when it was too dark to see.

When I respawned, I realized the horrible mistake I had made. I decided to deconstruct my old bed to bring it to the dungeon entrance, but doing so deleted my old spawn point and reset it to the default one. I had respawned in the middle of the woods, at night, with only a copper shortsword to defend myself from the onslaught of nocturnal zombies.

With all of my stuff down in the dungeon and having lost my home, I decided fuck it. I had been going at this rescue mission for 5 hours, and I had to wake up early tomorrow. I quit the game, which despawned the dropped items and any hope of their recovery. And then I deleted the world and that character.

Fuck mediumcore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23180 on: October 28, 2022, 05:23:05 am »

Mediumcore do be a lot of fun, you never feel more alive than when you do something stupid, suicidal, or in the dark.  The amount of times I've died in a spider nest, or by getting knocked off a cliff into the dark.

Kinda makes me want to play a new start with it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 05:24:57 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23181 on: October 28, 2022, 05:53:45 am »

I was driving around when there was a guy in front of me, and for some reasons I instinctively drifted away but then batmobile rolled and began rolling down into a ravine on the map.I tried breaking the windows with my elbows but it didn't work, so I had to use headbutt on the window and I went unconscious. Presumably I fell into the ravine and died in the dark screen because I respawned.

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23182 on: October 28, 2022, 10:06:37 am »

Genesis Alpha One, things can go from easy to crazy hard if you don't pay attention, but it's a lot of fun with so much stuff to discover in your explorations.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 10:09:19 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23183 on: October 28, 2022, 01:06:27 pm »

I was driving around when there was a guy in front of me, and for some reasons I instinctively drifted away but then batmobile rolled and began rolling down into a ravine on the map.I tried breaking the windows with my elbows but it didn't work, so I had to use headbutt on the window and I went unconscious. Presumably I fell into the ravine and died in the dark screen because I respawned.

That sounds great. You have a link to the game or anything?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23184 on: October 28, 2022, 01:17:20 pm »

It's from Team17 and is free on gog currently :
https://www.gog.com/
43 hours left to claim it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23185 on: October 28, 2022, 03:23:45 pm »

After the nightmarish Hard difficulty, I decided to try Very Hard. This might as well be called "CBT difficulty". The almost every win I've had so far seems to have been the result of the AI derping and letting one column build up to the top and losing in less than a minute. Every other attempt has been a frantic fight that's suddenly ended by the opponent pulling off a massive, instant-win combo.

EDIT: Beamed into space. Twice.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 05:31:00 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23186 on: October 29, 2022, 12:03:35 am »

Imagine the gotham news headlines;

"Batman Found Dead in a Ravine in Apparent Traffic Accident, Joker Furious!"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23187 on: October 29, 2022, 12:10:11 pm »

I decided to become a ghost skeleton! 
It was trickier than I expected.  First I had to roll a character prepared to die.  An ex-sovereign banned from shops and armed only with a katana and some single-use gadget?  Perfect.  I cut a bloody reign of terror true slasher-movie style.  Along the way I guess I avenged my character's lover but that didn't slow me down.  I also upgraded to a crashblade I won in gadget-less combat from a predator.

So, the ghost part is easy:  When on a ghost mission (do not harm anyone or be identified) you are a gh-gh-gh-ghost!!  The main effect of this is rather ironic: bullets pass harmlessly through you.  It sounds great, except that being shot at usually (with one exception!) means you've failed your ghost objective.  You remain a ghost, though, and it's amusing to wander through gunfire.

But how to become a skeleton?  Simple, just die.  Like, get shot- oh.  Hm.
There's a strange glitch though, you become corporeal when the game is paused??  So I was able to manifest on top of a bullet and successfully be wounded.  They spaced me and- ghosts don't bleed out or need to breathe.  Dangit!

Okay, so skeleton has to be done first.  I cleared the mission and, now a slasher "normal" human, I boarded some unlucky patrol ship.  I bounced my crashblade off a wall directly into my face and... nothing?  I tried a few more times but could not stab myself (experiments on the crew were quite lethal).  Shrugging, I picked up one of their primitive ballistic devices and shot at the sole survivor- only to swap position with him.  Talk about a final act twist, huh?  He spaced my body and I let myself suffocate.

Now considerably lighter, I finished him off (double fakeout!!) and did some ghost missions as a skeletal wraith... this time keeping to the ghost objectives, which meant no more killing.  Just spooky hijinks and stealth.

In addition to the skeleton mechanic basically meaning immortality until Nov 4th, I noticed that crew heat sensors don't detect ghost skeletons.  I don't know if that's the ghost part or the skeleton part or both, but it's a tangible benefit.

That crashblade I took as a trophy is available to my steam friends now.  I noticed that it sparks on every hit, as if it's still trying to apply its anti-shield effect.  I didn't use it against a shielded enemy so perhaps it hasn't depleted!  Also, I wonder if it recharges between missions.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23188 on: October 29, 2022, 03:13:49 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23189 on: October 29, 2022, 03:36:07 pm »

I remember seeing a few speedruns for this game at that difficulty (and in case you're wondering, there's one more difficulty past that, S-hard). The strategy, as far as I can tell, is to just do specific combo patterns that send garbage in such a way that the AI frequently (but not always) breaks as a result.
Pages: 1 ... 1544 1545 [1546] 1547 1548 ... 1575