Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1520 1521 [1522] 1523 1524 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377440 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22815 on: August 10, 2021, 10:28:25 pm »

Inflammation of the console?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22816 on: August 10, 2021, 10:53:17 pm »

Consolitis is when a game has to make compromises to accommodate the limitations of consoles (limited processing power, limited amount of buttons on a controller, lack of precision mouse movement), and those compromises are then ported to the PC version even when they theoretically didn’t have to be.

Consolitis manifests in various forms (Deus ex: Invisible War and Thief: Deadly shadows are classic examples), but the symptom OP is describing in Outer Worlds is what I like to call overloaded buttons. That is, when a single button can perform multiple functions depending on the context. This can cause problems because sometimes the game will misinterpret what the user is trying to do, leading to ridiculous stuff like stabbing a guy when you meant to talk to him for example. In the first Dark Souls, the sprint and the jump button are the same which could lead to you jumping to your death.

In the case of Outer World’s, OP is saying that the end dialogue button and the shoot button are the exact same, which is quite concerning since players tend to mash that one.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 11:00:15 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22817 on: August 10, 2021, 11:27:58 pm »

no it means inflammation of the console

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22818 on: August 10, 2021, 11:59:11 pm »

Checked the DSM and can verify: consolitis is inflammation of the console, often associated with pain of the interface, swelling of load times, and irritation of user patience and goodwill.  False diagnoses are also common, and often being diagnosed based on syndromal rather than causal grounds, specific treatments vary even where they are possible; it's frequently the case that palliative care is the best/only option.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22819 on: August 11, 2021, 03:09:15 pm »

ask your doctor if PC GAMING is right for you
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BikeRacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22820 on: August 14, 2021, 03:27:52 pm »

Choked on a food ration.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22821 on: August 14, 2021, 08:19:46 pm »

Tree Tops can go die in a fire. I went into that level with 32 lives, give or take. I finished 100% with 13 lives. The problem was finding the last dragon, which requires very unintuitive consecutive jumps across several Supercharge ramps, that last of which requires going backwards on it to reach the final(non-Supercharge) ramp that leads to the island where the dragon is. Said events are lampshaded by said dragon upon rescuing him. Even after that, I was still missing 10 gems, which was in a reinforced chest that requires not chaining Supercharged jumps and making a perfect landing to hit it. Died several times attempting to get there.

That the game's jump physics aren't always... exact, doesn't help. On the upshot, there's a locked chest that I managed break open with a Supercharge ram instead of the key which I had. It took a few deaths before the game realized I wasn't supposed to be carrying the key anymore and took it away.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22822 on: August 16, 2021, 01:06:33 pm »

I'm positive the player AI is significantly worse than the enemy AI. Enemy ships press the attack when they need to and back off when they're at high flux or getting fucked. My ships will suicidally charge when they're at high flux or dying, and back off when they need to press an attack. Add to that the AI getting to cheat (Their CR NEVER drops. I've watched, their CR stays at 70% by the time mine's dropped to ~30%, and I'm pretty sure they can change orders on-the-fly while you only get 5 command points and have to spend ages waiting to get a single one back) and even fair battles are fraught with peril.

Starsector

EDIT: I've discovered why I'm so bad at pursuit. Your own ships are, when pursuing, cowards. You set them to chase down a freighter with a single PD gun and even with an exterminate order on the ship they'll do their damndest to keep out of range of the enemy gun, which means the enemy is out of range of *their* guns. If I want to get anywhere, I have to take control of a ship and chase the enemy down myself.
Starsector

For what it's worth, Player AI is the same as Enemy AI and there aren't CR cheats (at least without mods).
I'm running unmodded and I've yet to EVER see enemy CR drop from 70% unless I've done stuff like harrassment before engaging or they've done an emergency burn. I've no idea what's causing that if they're supposed to drop as combat goes on.

I'm trying a commitment run, but I've decided to savescum for the second time (First was because I realised I forgot to disable toxic fallout) because the game's in love with two things: Giving every single colonist a bad back, and ensuring body parts are destroyed/removed at the slightest provocation. I lost 6 of 8 colonists at one point and kept going, but having a colony that consists of nothing but limbless people I literally cannot afford to give prosthetics and can't manufacture prosthetics for because my crafter got killed is where I'm drawing the line. If the AI followed the same rules as the player, they'd be sending raids consisting of nothing but limbless individuals because they'd got them chopped off by wildlife/gunfire/scythers/fires detonating explosives

Rimworld

EDIT: I thought I had the game's sensor range down, but nope. An enemy patrol had a large sensor range that overlapped me, so I turned off my transponder. Turned it *off*. I'm looking at the screen right as I'm typing this, it tells me that it's off. While I was in a ring system, which reduces detection by 50% (So they need to be twice as close to spot you). I was still in sensor range. Fine, fair, I got caught out.

Now the confusing bit is that I left the ring system, and their sensor range dropped dramatically. Like they couldn't see three miles from their ships. By this point it was useless, because I was right next to them.

So I'm curious as to what the fuck it is that makes sensors go from being able to spot me from a full gas giant moon system away with your transponder off while you're in a system that makes you harder to detect, to absolutely fuck all once you're out of it.

Starsector

EDIT: Also there was no active sensor burst, so it wasn't that. I could see them the whole time and I recognise that sound because it's the number one cause of all failed smuggling runs.

EDIT: More evidence on the AI cheating in combat: When fleeing enemy fleets, I can only deploy from the rear. When I'm fleeing, the enemy can deploy from anywhere. I know because I was running and ran face-first into enemy ships that had evidently deployed from the top of the map, ie the direction I needed to be going. If this isn't supposed to be the case, I have genuinely got no good goddamn idea what's going on, because I'm running the latest version and I'm running with literally no mods.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:05:31 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22823 on: August 16, 2021, 03:30:22 pm »

EDIT: More evidence on the AI cheating in combat: When fleeing enemy fleets, I can only deploy from the rear. When I'm fleeing, the enemy can deploy from anywhere. I know because I was running and ran face-first into enemy ships that had evidently deployed from the top of the map, ie the direction I needed to be going. If this isn't supposed to be the case, I have genuinely got no good goddamn idea what's going on, because I'm running the latest version and I'm running with literally no mods.

You can deploy frigates (and maybe destroyers?) from the sides when you're pursuing.

As to the others, not sure offhand but some of the same things that lower your sensor profile also lower your sensor power. So e.g. if they enter the ring their sensor power takes a hit.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22824 on: August 17, 2021, 08:45:39 am »

Badly misjudged the relative strengths of my sect's three core shaping adepts, backed by 9 outer discipline bowmen against a giant monster boar. Not only did we not win the fight, we barely even scratched his ki.

Tried to flee when my core shapers' ki bottomed out and they started taking damage, but the monster just chased us back to our village and proceeded to rip everyone to shreds.

If it had just injured everyone, I'd probably take the scars and chalk it up as a learning experience; but it killed several, including my founder and clan leader, so I'm probably going to restart (ironman playthrough).

The worst part? Just as I closed out the game, the magical pet dog showed up, ready to be adopted. At that point in the game, it's quite a bit more sturdy then my cultivators - if I'd had it to tank the boar, we almost certainly could have won the fight. Ah well.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22825 on: August 17, 2021, 12:56:25 pm »

You can deploy frigates (and maybe destroyers?) from the sides when you're pursuing.

As to the others, not sure offhand but some of the same things that lower your sensor profile also lower your sensor power. So e.g. if they enter the ring their sensor power takes a hit.
Thing is, they *left* the ring and their sensors dropped to nothing. In the ring it was overlapping me easily.

Side deployment would explain it. I'd been wondering what the "deploy left/right" thing was, and figured it was to let you decide which side of the rear they came in on.

EDIT: The game actively has something against me enjoying it, I'm positive. I turned off the scaling AI because it's literally a punishment for being effective at dispatching enemies. Now the issue is my wealth inflating to absurd values and I have literally no idea why. There's no breakdown, just a thing that says "Items". I have no idea WHAT items are apparently dragging my colony up to 300k wealth, but they are.
Because of the game deciding that I'm super duper mega rich, it keeps sending massive raids and stuff at me. I have:
Three guns of any kindOne plasma sword

One colonist with a bad back and prosthetic leg
One colonist with a bad back and missing lungOne colonist with a missing arm
Two healthy colonists

I have no idea how the game expects me to fight off swarms of raiders and mechanoids with that kind of setup. I can't even get bionics because NOBODY ever sells the ones I need. Everything else, sure. Surrogate lungs, arms, spines? Nope. I don't need those do I?

Also because of most of my guys being crippled, they can't hit shit. So defence is even harder.

Rimworld.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Combat Extended also modifies the plasmasword to make it more useful by giving it incredibly high armour penetration.

For some reason it couldn't cut into a scyther. I had to rely on HE rounds from my FALs for that. It wasn't being parried, the scyther was repeatedly hit and it made the noise and visual effect that comes from being deflected.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 07:18:22 am by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22826 on: August 20, 2021, 04:34:30 pm »

Was traveling through presumed-to-be friendly(they were green on scope, enemies are red) French waters, only to be swarmed by torpedoes from contacts I couldn't see. Fires and hull damage everywhere. I turned on fire suppression, and the whole crew decided to run to their bunks and panic. Managed to get one guy over to the control panel, but everyone had already died. As soon as I got the vents back open, the one guy also instantly suffocated anyways.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22827 on: August 23, 2021, 04:04:39 am »

Still space trading on Rebel Galaxy

After finally getting enough money to buy a better ship (though slower), i decided to go with a "Tennhausen" , 3 more boardside ports and 2 more turrets than the ship i had (i was still on the starter ship) .
And less expensive than the next in line (the "Scarab" ) that i was close to afford, it left me some nice money to complete my ship with full MK2 weaponry instead of the mix of old, MK1 and MK2 ones i had previously.
for the turrets on the many types available  i decided to go with 3 MK2 particle laser as they had proved very good against enemy small ships, and for the last i went with a MK2 mining laser for some shield penetration and for mining stuff when i'll have time.

Went back from Zeus (the 2nd system) to Athena (the 1st system you start playing in) to complete a very juicy guild cargo run for the merchant guild, but at mid-travel i nearly got utterly trashed by a massive pirate attack with 3 strong capital ships (wow they really wanted my cargo) and several fighters, only survived by running away (great i had upgraded my ship engines and boosters too, was super helpful as i could easily get out of the capital ships range, while my particle lasers were killing the fighters that were following) .

Once the big money was made at the station, i decided to look at the mission board to see what was new, and spotted a "swarm" mission, oh there have been none of those since i started playing i guess i may have gone to another echelon on the game progression (maybe also why i got this difficult pirate fleet on me, usually they're not that big and strong at a "hard" mission, it's usually on "very hard" mission i get something like that).
The game difficulty scale usually with your "money worth" (price of your equipment+price of your ship+your available money)

So let's see how my new ship and its nice turrets will do, swarm mission probably mean a lot of small ships, perfect for my particles lasers.
And they can't be that numerous anyways to overwhelm me.

... How wrong i was :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:06:56 am by Robsoie »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22828 on: August 24, 2021, 08:21:32 pm »

A difference of 5 levels between me and the opposing party is actually pretty damn significant. I didn't even see how fast Silabus' got wiped out from full HP, and I then they all ganged up on me.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22829 on: August 25, 2021, 06:31:05 pm »

Misjudged the depth qt which I was diving, drowned like a chump.

TES IV: Oblivion.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1520 1521 [1522] 1523 1524 ... 1575