Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1519 1520 [1521] 1522 1523 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377431 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22800 on: July 19, 2021, 04:55:57 pm »

Ragequit after learning the hard way that Imperial Medium Tanks apparently have their machine guns mounted on the rear of the turret, which is both incredibly stupid and infuriatingly clever. I learned this as my second-in-command gets shot dozens of times in the back by the tank as she tried to bypass it after evacuating a wounded comrade, leaving her in danger to be executed by the enemy without any chance of rescue herself. This game, along with other bullshit like magically giving ammo for units to fire more times than they should be able to in a turn and ensuring that an enemy's hitpoints stay at 2HP(not 1HP, it's always 2HP for some reason) just as it passes outside of counter-attack range, the game loves to do that.

Then I realized I hadn't saved in a while, and I pretty sure this game doesn't autosave.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yooo, Valkyria Chronicles. Now there's a game I haven't seen mentioned in some time. It's such a weird series. I really like it, but man, even after Valkyria Chronicles 4, it still feels like the games have a long way to go in terms of polish before they start to feel AAA.

Don't get me wrong, I still have fond memories of 1 and 4, both of which I finished, but after playing for long enough you start to figure out that the best way to play the game is to find the cheese and abuse the heck out of it. For instance, you can combine a defense-boosting order (or multiple) with certain potentials to make one of your units take 1 point of damage from all sources, then use them to rush the enemy's main base. Use a grenade to blast the enemies guarding the base outside of its defensive range, then capture it without even killing them.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22801 on: July 24, 2021, 01:09:24 pm »

Don't know if there's some bug, but a guy with a wooden spear beat the everloving shit out of my high melee brawler with a masterwork longsword and armour without my guy getting a swing in.

Then on reload a pirate with a longsword instantly downed him *while in the middle of a melee cooldown*

Rimworld
EDIT: I'm pretty sure some mod somewhere is messing with values, even on the easiest difficulty I'm dealing with centipedes and the like while I still lack access to guns.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 03:06:39 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22802 on: July 30, 2021, 01:34:29 pm »

I was replaying some missions in Alien Isolation, trying to do things differently than in my first playthrough of them.

Ran into a few people in my exploration, all have weapons and are completely paranoid, something understandable in the situation.

Instead of stealthly moving around through alternate paths, i decided to use one of the items i crafted previously, a noisemaker.

With the alien hunting all over the station, now that was a very nasty idea, a horrible evil idea , Ripley's daughter should be ashamed of herself :D

After throwing the noisemaker in their general direction, i stayed to observe the horror that would have followed , i had already noticed a hiding spot in a vent on a side wall so i was sure everything was going ok to avoid getting spotted by the alien after the carnage.

Except that i forgot to check behind me, in the ceiling there's an opened vent, and aliens loves to move through them.
So after throwing my noisemaker and waiting.

I guess karma strikes back, poor Amanda :D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:11:15 pm by Robsoie »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22803 on: July 30, 2021, 05:03:21 pm »

Mech cluster spawned. Usual strategy: Mortar it

It has a high shield, mortaring is off.

Second: Attack from the ground at range, using the correct angle to keep away from the turrets.

It has a low shield, ranged assault is off.

Final: Get into melee with the turrets so they can't shoot.

It has THREE proximity activators covering it completely. The turrets are well-spaced so there's no safe spots.

I'm genuinely confused as to how I'm supposed to counter this. It's covered all of its weaknesses. I couldn't successfully attack it if I wanted to. This is ignoring the mech pod AND mech assembler that it has. There's not even an unstable power cell to destroy the whole place with.

Rimworld

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22804 on: July 30, 2021, 06:00:15 pm »

Mech cluster spawned. Usual strategy: Mortar it

It has a high shield, mortaring is off.

Second: Attack from the ground at range, using the correct angle to keep away from the turrets.

It has a low shield, ranged assault is off.

Final: Get into melee with the turrets so they can't shoot.

It has THREE proximity activators covering it completely. The turrets are well-spaced so there's no safe spots.

I'm genuinely confused as to how I'm supposed to counter this. It's covered all of its weaknesses. I couldn't successfully attack it if I wanted to. This is ignoring the mech pod AND mech assembler that it has. There's not even an unstable power cell to destroy the whole place with.

Rimworld
EMP shells temporarily disable the high shields - use a group of mortars (one EMP, followed by HE) to take out the shield generators first.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22805 on: August 04, 2021, 01:41:25 am »

(Mild Minecraft spoilers I guess, for fighting the Wither.  Not worth a tag IMO)
Out of curiosity I decided to fight the Wither "fairly" for once.  I went about a km along the ocean shore to build the totem, then backed far away because I'd been forewarned about it's first trick - the stupidly strong explosive blast after a few seconds of invincibility.

What commenced was a total mess.  I had stronger-than-vanilla Tinkers Armory defenses, but it kept applying the wither effect which ignores all that.  It flew up to avoid my sword, so I chased after it with my angel ring (fairy) which provides nigh-creative flight.  But it matched my ascent, continuing to tag me with Wither!  And I ended up leaving a gravestone floating about 60 blocks above sea level.  Nothing soulbound.

That's the death, and fair enough for my hubris, but the rest was better.  I boated out there with several stacks of dirt like some gravity-bound plebe, only to find that the thing hadn't despawned.  It was, in fact, wandering the ocean murdering squid (as the guardians do for some reason).  It was getting very close to my base, tearing up nearby islands and even the hills adjacent my site, in its blind undead (sun-immune, despawn-immune) fury.

So I got my equipment back, and lured it away with some vanilla arrows (haven't bothered to make a Tinkers bow, probably should.  Or shuriken.)

Once I was less concerned, I made several stacks of arrows and went back out to poke this thing to true death!
And the bow worked well at first, I was able to snipe it from a distance and back away to continue whittling down the wither.  Since *apparently* it just flies out of the way of all melee, remember.

Well, when it hit half health it decided to be immune to arrows.

I was a little upset for a while.  Eventually though, I realized it was no longer flying upward whenever I got near it.  (though it switched back to coward mode whenever it regenerated back over half health-)
Oh right I also realized that it was healing itself whenever it murdered a squid, so basically the ocean was the very worst place I could have fought this thing outside my base.

Except for one mod thing... my armor is all prismarine, modified for giving me an exceptional speed boost in water.  My fastest way to travel without teleporting is to fly down to the ocean and skid along it, surfing.  The speed is *wild*.  (reminds me a lot of Monkey's cloud-surf in Enslaved: Journey To The West)

SPEAKING OF, that led to some real Dragonball shit.  I had to swish in at ludicrous speed, over and over, trying to land a precision strike and hoping not to catch a wither-skull on my way in.  Retreating to clutch my arm eat some chili, before swishing back for another pass.  It was an ordeal, and it concluded with a desperate melee where I traded blows with the monster, unable to really see my withered health bar, and at last...

aw fuck it's in the water where the hell is is it
wow there's a lot of squid ink down here
come onnnnn after all that-

And ah, I finally earned a nether star.  With heavy benefits from mods, but still.

Quote from: Some MineTogether person
just make a mob crusher
yes friend i know, i have done, this was a lot more fun.

Modded Minecraft, Feed The Beast: Revelation

This game has a significant mechanic of deforestation, probably due to its general Easter Island motif.  Trees have 1-4 wood which constantly regenerates, with the tree smoothly growing back second by second, but they need a few minutes to fully recover to 4.  But aha!  I'll just have 3 idle workers preemptively harvest this tree, bringing the wood back to base, leaving the little tree to recover.

And now I'll assign a new home to be built - oh, they walked right past the existing cords of wood and finished the tree off.

also later a lot priests I hadn't seen coming kept being in my base, stealing my doods

Populous The Begining, the level which very clearly tells you that the enemy is using Invisibility

I had to talk to a Johnny in a nightclub, so I went there and used the door code I'd been given.  Apparently "no on is allowed upstairs", insist the guards.  I find a unique-looking person who says that Johnny is upstairs.  I wander around for a while and can't find anything interactable.

Ah, it's probably those stupid fire escapes.  I go out and explore the nearby ones, but no, there's just no entrance to the club up there.  I circle the club and oh there's another door!

It opens directly into the stairwell, right behind the guard who says no one is allowed upstairs.  It has a code, but it's the same code as the "main" door.
and if I try to go up the stairs, everyone freaks out, even though all I did was enter the club through a door using the code.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (Unofficial Patch with Restored Content)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22806 on: August 04, 2021, 10:45:06 am »

Either I don't get how scanner radii work, or the game's pulling some bullshit on me. Three times now I've been out of sensor range running in dark mode from the get-go (So nobody should know where I am unless they're already near me) and three times I've been burned straight at by sheer "coincidence". They aren't even quest-related enemies. I turn up in a system running dark, and suddenly some luddic path/pirate/salvager (Apparently they decide they need to *make* salvage) guys just burn straight at me, even moving to intercept. THEN the line that shows their sensor range appears on me.

Starsector

EDIT: No, it makes literally no sense. It keeps happening. I just went dark well outside the sensor range of anyone and immediately a fleet starts burning at me from halfway across the system. They then "coincidentally" stop nearby to ping me, and from that point I can't do wank to get away.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 02:02:45 pm by Great Order »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22807 on: August 04, 2021, 11:22:26 pm »

I was replaying some missions in Alien Isolation, trying to do things differently than in my first playthrough of them.

Ran into a few people in my exploration, all have weapons and are completely paranoid, something understandable in the situation.

Instead of stealthly moving around through alternate paths, i decided to use one of the items i crafted previously, a noisemaker.

With the alien hunting all over the station, now that was a very nasty idea, a horrible evil idea , Ripley's daughter should be ashamed of herself :D

After throwing the noisemaker in their general direction, i stayed to observe the horror that would have followed , i had already noticed a hiding spot in a vent on a side wall so i was sure everything was going ok to avoid getting spotted by the alien after the carnage.

Except that i forgot to check behind me, in the ceiling there's an opened vent, and aliens loves to move through them.
So after throwing my noisemaker and waiting.

I guess karma strikes back, poor Amanda :D

It's very satisfying when survivors try to shoot you and lure the alien to themselves instead of you having to lure it to them.  I've only had it happen a time or two since it's usually pretty easy to avoid them, but it's great when it does happen.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22808 on: August 05, 2021, 03:44:32 pm »

I lost a battle because my ships seem to have kept deciding that they don't want to listen to me. I'd make an order, and after a few seconds the ships would stop obeying it and do their own thing.

If they kept up pressure where I told them there'd have been little contest, but instead they'd just fuck about for no goddamn reason.

Starsector

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22809 on: August 05, 2021, 06:45:03 pm »

First actual death in this game was being crushed by some kind of dog creature belly-flopping onto me.

Immediately after that, I quickly killed what I thought was a slightly tougher mook only to be informed that was the world boss. Even got the achievement for killing him without being hit once by him. That wasn't even a challenge. The normal enemies before that were more difficult to deal with than this guy.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22810 on: August 05, 2021, 11:41:34 pm »

Those dog enemies are no joke and are something of a noob check / random difficulty spike.  The boss on the other hand... yes, is a joke.

I love all three of the original Spyro trilogy, but the bosses in the first game are pretty bad.  Spyro 2 is a pretty big upgrade to the first in most ways, and the bosses are vastly better.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22811 on: August 06, 2021, 08:31:04 pm »

Was feeling a bit ballsy, so I tried to take on the Drake that appears near the Shadow Fort. The one that's there all game. (it's a postgame enemy)

Got it down to its last health bar before it grabbed me and slammed my head into a rock for an instant kill.

Didn't really go in with much preparation. Was playing as a Magick Archer, level 39, and looked up a guide saying that Sixfold Bolt is highly effective against Drakes. It is. Unfortunately my pawn setup was bad; my main pawn who spent the entire game in magic vocations was a Fighter, one hired pawn was a Warrior, the other was a Mage with a spell selection that wasn't all that great for this fight. She apparently does have either Frazil or Frigor, but she only cast it once during the fight. Shame she didn't do it again, it hurt.

Despite doing fairly well against it, I eventually ran out of items, including a Golden Egg and a Salubrious Brew.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22812 on: August 09, 2021, 12:51:51 pm »

I'm positive the player AI is significantly worse than the enemy AI. Enemy ships press the attack when they need to and back off when they're at high flux or getting fucked. My ships will suicidally charge when they're at high flux or dying, and back off when they need to press an attack. Add to that the AI getting to cheat (Their CR NEVER drops. I've watched, their CR stays at 70% by the time mine's dropped to ~30%, and I'm pretty sure they can change orders on-the-fly while you only get 5 command points and have to spend ages waiting to get a single one back) and even fair battles are fraught with peril.

Starsector

EDIT: I've discovered why I'm so bad at pursuit. Your own ships are, when pursuing, cowards. You set them to chase down a freighter with a single PD gun and even with an exterminate order on the ship they'll do their damndest to keep out of range of the enemy gun, which means the enemy is out of range of *their* guns. If I want to get anywhere, I have to take control of a ship and chase the enemy down myself.
Starsector
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 01:48:20 pm by Great Order »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22813 on: August 10, 2021, 05:44:43 pm »

I'm positive the player AI is significantly worse than the enemy AI. Enemy ships press the attack when they need to and back off when they're at high flux or getting fucked. My ships will suicidally charge when they're at high flux or dying, and back off when they need to press an attack. Add to that the AI getting to cheat (Their CR NEVER drops. I've watched, their CR stays at 70% by the time mine's dropped to ~30%, and I'm pretty sure they can change orders on-the-fly while you only get 5 command points and have to spend ages waiting to get a single one back) and even fair battles are fraught with peril.

Starsector

EDIT: I've discovered why I'm so bad at pursuit. Your own ships are, when pursuing, cowards. You set them to chase down a freighter with a single PD gun and even with an exterminate order on the ship they'll do their damndest to keep out of range of the enemy gun, which means the enemy is out of range of *their* guns. If I want to get anywhere, I have to take control of a ship and chase the enemy down myself.
Starsector

For what it's worth, Player AI is the same as Enemy AI and there aren't CR cheats (at least without mods). Individual pilot AI (from either officer or your faction's overall combat stance) does make a difference, but loadout also makes a very big difference in how effective AI is. There are a fair few resources out there on overall advice for effective AI loadouts, as what works for a player may be handled very badly by the AI.

That said there is a current AI quirk that makes ships (both friendly and enemy) too cagey about finishing blows in certain circumstances, which the dev is working on fixing. The dev is also welcome for footage/description of AI misbehavior as part of their eternal quest of improving the AI.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22814 on: August 10, 2021, 09:46:22 pm »

Outer Worlds has some consolitis.

I had a conversation with a quest-giver, using the main input that the game has (because keyboards don't exist, and game controllers don't have more than 2 buttons), ended the conversation with that button, then shot the quest-giver right in the face using that button.
Pages: 1 ... 1519 1520 [1521] 1522 1523 ... 1575