Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1511 1512 [1513] 1514 1515 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377585 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22680 on: February 09, 2021, 04:59:47 am »

they implemented a system where whatever attacks you use, the enemy becomes immune to.
Since when did the Borg have anything to do with Lord of the Rings?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22681 on: February 09, 2021, 09:23:29 am »

What, you missed that part of the silmarillion? The borg arc is one of the most memorable parts of it!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22682 on: February 09, 2021, 10:38:40 am »

After not having played Terraria for a long time, my muscle memory still assumed that I had wings, and I fell to my death.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22683 on: February 09, 2021, 02:55:01 pm »

After retrieving a really cool glowing dagger from an island surrounded by poison water, I decided I'd rather not travel on foot to the next region and took a bath in said water until I turned into a hilarious ragdoll.

Just as planned, the game respawned me closer to my objective. Success.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22684 on: February 10, 2021, 03:50:48 pm »

The Brucis. Dumb name, big monster. Tore through my party in minutes. Second attempt, I realized Yuri had both Half Damage and Quarter Damage automatically equipped on him after learning them(WHYYYY??), so he was only doing 12.5% of his actual damage. Boss still tore through the party in minutes. Has a nasty, nigh-unblockable charge attack, no elemental weaknesses, and some kind of semi-random shield that stops it from flinching from being hit.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22685 on: February 14, 2021, 05:54:42 am »

I somehow managed a Glory and Despair ending at the same time (~1sec apart). Which I don't even get how I pulled that off, considering they counterbalance each other.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22686 on: February 14, 2021, 07:40:25 pm »

Felled a tree, it started to roll away down a slope in the general direction of my house. I jumped in front of it and tried to stop it with my face.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22687 on: February 20, 2021, 10:32:52 am »

Managed to softlock the plot through no fault of my own so I decided to launch a massacre on the police force of the nearby city, and then forted up in the police station and used it to wipe out the US army platoon that came investigating. Thus ensuring that war between the United States and the Soviet Union becomes inevitable.

To the developer's credit, this does not end the game. Depending on whether or not you execute/tie up the CIA spy in your squad or let them run off, you get 1-2 additional missions where your superiors reassign you to lead a Soviet commando raid to secure a bridge for the incoming Soviet army. One of these missions includes an ambush due to the spy reporting on your movements. Oops.

Anyway, if you save scum enough to get all that done, you get a nice report detailing what happens to you as well as whoever had been hanging out with you while you were doing your own Soviet spy stuff. (It involves a lot of fighting and eventual death.) After that you get a little movie with WW2 stock footage as well as a guy talking about the ensuing war and eventual nuclear bombing of Leningrad and Kiev and the truce that comes later. So lots of other people dead as well, rip.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:53:13 am by Fire and Glory »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22688 on: February 21, 2021, 11:24:56 pm »

In a classic gaming mood, I loaded up Descent 2 (in its original pixely glory, not that nifty open source version).  Nifty cinematics reminded me of the lore, and a rather... frenetic soundtrack brought me back to the 90's.  The first mine was easy enough, though I don't like that it switches to a cutscene for the escape run.  In the first game it's still game-rendered graphics as your ship barely escapes from the nuclear destruct sequences (always juuust ahead of the swarm of explosion sprites, regardless of the timer...)

Anyway, I softlocked the game on level 2.  I don't know how - I hit the button for the reactor room, but the door's still sealed shut.  I checked a walkthrough and everything.  Sorta disappointing, but I did hunt down Trashbot so I'm calling this a pyrrhic victory.

Descent 2

Also I made a decent three-year fort in DF but then some creatures with three horns and no eyes rofflestomped me.  Most of them were undead, but two *weren't*, which was almost more disturbing?  They had steel armor and bolts.  I had cage traps, but someone one of them got freed on the way to the magma bath - and singlehandedly killed all 80 dorfs.

Dwarf Fortress, this ascii town-management sim
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22689 on: February 22, 2021, 10:01:43 am »

Lost both magi to a levitating undead Egyptian robot.

I was pretty certain I was going to lose the battle when it loaded, but t least the tutorial was kind enough to point out that losing wouldn't be the end of the game.  I later found out that apparently if you have enough cognition points your tech priests can just run across the whole map, so maybe there was a different strategy that would have worked out had I tried that.  The Benny Hill running around and trying to avoid the necron lord didn't really work out.

Mechanicus.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22690 on: February 22, 2021, 10:41:29 am »

Somehow built a lead mine next to an ammo belt feeding copper into my gunwall of Salvoes. Salvoes cannot fire lead, so the line jammed up... right in the middle of a wave. Since it's the non-random map Overgrowth, the time between waves is very short, so there's no time to fix the belt and fight off the enemies that get through. Ragequit and lost about an hour of work.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22691 on: February 22, 2021, 04:22:23 pm »

Stellaris doesn't understand force disparity.

Apparently "pathetic" fleet power means "About 75% your fleet's strength". Wouldn't be an issue were I not fighting on two fronts here.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22692 on: February 22, 2021, 06:46:05 pm »

Maybe your fleet was pathetic too. :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22693 on: February 22, 2021, 06:51:55 pm »

Fighting on two fronts like that can certainly end a game.  My answer to that unfortunate situation is to invest in fortifying the starbase(s) along one border (sometimes even writing off systems back to a chokepoint) and lovebombing the other antagonist with envoys.  Even a pocketed militarist empire will be surprisingly cooperative, in my experience - unless they've already rivaled you.  I suggest sending envoys before it comes to that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22694 on: February 22, 2021, 09:15:41 pm »

Stupid minions let a team of S.A.B.R.E. infiltrators walk right into the control room, where I was stationed. Infiltrators will prioritize trying to kill you above anything else if they see you. Luckily, I got out of there before they did too much harm. Unfortunately, when the enemy realized they were surrounded and trapped, they decided a literal suicide bombing was in order.

The blast destroyed half the control consoles, set everything else on fire, slightly injured my bodyguard, and killed about half my total guard force. Even managed to hurt me a tiny bit, two rooms over.

There was also an incident prior to that where some nosy tourists got into the base, alongside some agents. Then they all went outside, where they met every other tourist on the island. Long story short, I may have committed a minor genocide.

Pages: 1 ... 1511 1512 [1513] 1514 1515 ... 1575