Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1507 1508 [1509] 1510 1511 ... 1572

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2329657 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22620 on: January 01, 2021, 09:38:03 am »

Lesson learned today : visiting the swamps while not taking the time to go after every single stashes to get every single damn air filter around is the absolute best way to run out of air reserves in the boss fights.

Metro Last Light Redux.
(alternative stupid near cheating way to keep your air reserve is to remove you gas mask in those surface maps despite you should not, and only put it back when you're going to die, and remove it again immediately until you're going to die... and repeat etc... . this will spare most of your air reserve)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22621 on: January 01, 2021, 04:22:14 pm »

Also a bit of an own:

Running by myself using a baby character, just an axe and dual revolvers, nothing else really going for her. Started real near a clue so I went ahead and picked it up even though it was in the part of the map for the Assassin and I wanted to find the Butcher for a daily. Run into a few enemies but take them out easily enough with the axe. Then I decide to head down the road towards the side of the map with the Butcher, going off the road a bit because I didn't want to fight a pack of hellhounds.
Long story short, I pick up some clues, chop some zombies, get lightly singed by a fire zombie, and manage to find the Butcher. Mission complete, basically! I decide to try and fight it solo because I don't have much to lose anyways. Manage it whittle it down gradually with my revolvers from outside the building, taking advantage of some handy ammo crates outside, and then finish it off with a heavy axe strike. I start banishing it, and then climb up into the attic to try to watch out for other hunters after my prize.

Anyways, while I was watching out the window, someone snuck up behind me and slashed me to death with his knife. I had my guns out rather than my axe, so I lost. Even if I'd won that fight, his two buddies would probably have done me in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22622 on: January 02, 2021, 02:45:10 pm »

Either the game's got something fucky, or I'm really bad at it. The threats don't seem to be scaling (But at least savescumming is an option on reload anytime mode). I'm running with SKSes, which are respectable enough against humans, even those with armour thanks to AP rounds.

So the game decides that I need mechanoids instead. Mechanoids need heavy weapons to deal with effectively because they tend to have good armour and lots of health. On top of that, they have turrets that are straight up evil. They spew a metric fuckload of high damage rounds at extreme ranges, and in spite of having the accuracy of a drunkard, the sheer volume of shots means that you're going to lose at least on person per volley. Armour doesn't help, their shots go straight through even cataphract armour, and have an annoying propensity for hitting your guys in the head and decapitating them. Ignoring when the game decides to send inferno cannons at you, those are even worse because they not only have insane range, their attacks produce *enormous* explosions at a decent enough accuracy to hit nearly every time and when your guys are set in fire, they run everywhere. Often out of cover straight into the middle of a heavy charge turret's volley.

Anyway, had a mechanoid cluster spawn next to my base. It was producing toxins. Headed over there, the cluster was asleep and the toxin spewer was outside the range of the motion sensor, so I destroyed it. Then I learned that you can't reform the caravan until every enemy is dead. I managed to kill every mechanoid with minimal injury.

Apparently "enemy" includes "Automated turret".

Four mini sluggers and three heavy charge turrets with minimal cover. Savescum back to before that event fired because I can't kill those without mortars or a high casualty rate (Or, significantly more likely, a squad wipe)

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22623 on: January 02, 2021, 09:25:03 pm »

Was drawing out a captain by killing his Olog buddies, managed to get him to show up, but tried to clear up the mess of grunts around me before facing him. Kept trying to drain a pesky Olog as I'd just unlocked an upgrade that allowed that. Fucker ignored that and stomped me. Missed the 'try not to die quicktime event' so he not only kills me, but he fucking DESTROYS my goddamn LEGENDARY SWORD, the one that drops from a legendary orc captain, the super rare fuckers.

At this point I think I'm done with the game, two forts down, some 50ish% completed. I've seen pretty much everything so far, the story isn't interesting in the slightest and the gameplay itself is starting to grow stale. Game was worth the 10 or so Euros I got it for, but not much more than that.

How does it compare to Shadows of Mordor?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22624 on: January 02, 2021, 10:07:39 pm »

More or less the same, there’s just more of the nemesis system and the captain side of things, as there are four areas instead of one, and thus four hierarchies to mess around with. You can go online and attack other people’s stuff which is entertaining I guess.

Get it on sale, basically. If you enjoyed SoM, you’ll enjoy SoW.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22625 on: January 03, 2021, 12:53:27 am »

Not a death for me but a death for the environment.

Playing ARK for the first time in ages and we manage to knock out a flying dinosaur-hellbird thing that was stealing all our food. We figure hey if it's that annoying to us, if we tame it it will be annoying to anything that attacks us too! We eventually figure out it needs fish to be tamed and we feed it fish.  In the process another one of the hellbirds attacks us and just because I hadn't switched off of tranq ammo we end up knocking that one out too. 

Tame completes on one and while we're thinking of a name for it it flies off and starts murdering fish and dodos indiscriminately.  We both go running after it collecting the meat and hides, and the other one wakes up and starts doing the same thing.

So now there's two half naked people running around chasing after two separate birds yelling at them to come back as the birds indiscriminately murder everything smaller than a bear leaving the corpses to rot in the sun. One of them didn't even seem content with just the small fry and managed to somehow piss off a triceratops that we had to help it kill.  Which it thanked us for saving it by making a 90 degree midair turn back out into the open ocean to fuck up more fish instead of letting us catch it.

We eventually figure out how to remotely command tamed animals and eventually get them under control. (though our dodo farm also obeyed the commands and slowly and unhelpfully stampeded to our aid)  But basically everything in render distance of our campsite is now a corpse, the ocean is full of dead fish, and physics defying dead trilobytes floating in the air, and we have two smug looking giant pelicans on our shoulders to blame for it.  They managed to be annoying even when they are on our side.

I mean dying of laughter after the fact counts right?

ARK

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:56:44 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22626 on: January 03, 2021, 01:45:34 am »

I managed to make a badass bare handed brawler, killing scores of bandits with wild punches. Eventually got a motor nerve injury to my guy's left lower arm, but he only needed one hand to kick ass.

Half a dozen encounters later, I get ambushed by the bandits I'm trying to follow, and as I'm chasing them, an elf crossbowman/bowman manages to shoot me straight in the heart.

I'd trained my guy to the pinnacle of human ability, and his striking skill was excellent. I knew that if I could just reach them as they were running away, I could kill a few before bloodloss took me.

I made it a point to stomp the head of the elf bowman who shot me into gory paste, and I was able to kill one more bandit for good measure. Thus ends the story of Monke Lucidwinds the Weak, killer of 25 bandits, a giant wolf, a common snapping turtle, and a sponge.

DF
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22627 on: January 03, 2021, 08:51:34 pm »

Lost a sizable sum of money because the game doesn't make clear very well the functions of the warehouse(in retrospect, the clothing store was outside its range). So, for a while there, a dozen tons of fabric, over $300k worth, sat in a warehouse for months, which is also filling up with water because it also insists on taking all of it while only occasionally giving some to the farms.

If the "assistant" the game starts you with by default didn't insist on my building it, I wouldn't have yet. I lost a lot of money because of the resulting traffic jams. Now the insistant is telling me to export goods to the State... and the only export spot on the map is literally on the opposite side.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22628 on: January 04, 2021, 02:46:07 pm »

Well, I've worked out the cause of my far-too-powerful raids.

The game has given my colony a value that is, frankly, ridiculously high. I can accept that if I'm running around with valuable stuff, but something has been massively inflating it, and whatever it is it isn't showing on the value tab. I assume the colonists themselves have been touched, either by Tynan or a mod, to be worth even more than they used to be (Which was originally significantly higher than any item or building, to the extent where it was often a good idea to have a high quality base with few people because then the raids would be manageable).

Anyway, death, the game showed me as being attacked from two angles. I was attacked from four, including one guy in full power armour dropping on my head. As a result, the person I had on the mortar got pummeled to death and I got ambushed by the other squad I wasn't aware of.

Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22629 on: January 07, 2021, 08:46:20 pm »

Trying to force myself through Fallout New Vegas and the DLC. The speaker puzzles in Dead Money were always annoying, but towards the end they're pretty much constant trial and error (with saving and loading being a major cause of instability in the game). I can handle how boring the rest of Dead Money is, but now they're going out of their way to annoy me. Never forget: absolutely shit design.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22630 on: January 08, 2021, 03:40:49 am »

What's bad about New Vegas?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22631 on: January 08, 2021, 06:02:33 am »

Stupid guards. I literally watched two prisoners digging a tunnel, called a roll call(for which they were late responding), and searched the cell twice, and they found nothing out of the ordinary. Seconds later, the prisoners escaped.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22632 on: January 08, 2021, 09:31:43 am »

What's bad about New Vegas?

Aside from the terrible unstable engine it's built in (unfixed bugs, things falling through the ground, crashes, etc.)? It's very very slow, and fairly boring. A 5 hour game stretched out to more than 50. Plus, there's never any reason to explore, because any random box gives you enough resources for several fights. The DLC after the first one make it worse by taking away fast travel (because it causes the terrible engine to crash even more often) so you're very slowly walking across an empty area repeatedly.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22633 on: January 08, 2021, 12:28:09 pm »

Isn't there some unofficial engine/game patch for this one ?
Usually with everything Bethesda release is bugged in a way or another and after some time they can't even care to release patches to fixes things anymore, there's always some coder hero that popup and save the day by releasing some must needed engine and game fixes through unofficial patches.
edit : yes there are a bunch of those unofficial patches , there's a list and their corresponding links to nexusmods there :
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1785020990
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:30:50 pm by Robsoie »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22634 on: January 09, 2021, 07:22:05 am »

I noticed that New Vegas was kind of empty compared to 3 which seemed like it had more places to go.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 1507 1508 [1509] 1510 1511 ... 1572