Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1506 1507 [1508] 1509 1510 ... 1572

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2329680 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22605 on: December 25, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »

[laughs in infinite powers and orbs]

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22606 on: December 26, 2020, 03:51:00 am »

Reached 4-1 in nuclear throne with the rocky guy (mostly because he had more HP)
Was stuck with crossbow and a grenade launcher for most of the game, then after killing some huge 3 headed dog with a lots of grenade to his faces, i was teleported along what looked like a rocket launcher that the dead boss spawned after a giant explosion into 4-1

I then proceeded to walk on the rocket launcher to see if it was really one , decided to take it temporarly to test, except that i didn't pressed my use key for some reason (probably because of the tension of previously avoiding all those shots and trying to preserve ammo was still high in my hand), but instead i pressed my fire button on my mouse.
Sadly i had still the grenade launcher equipped and despite he still had lot of HP left my character insta killed himself.

What a stupid stupid death, as if that game wasn't already ultra hard for me damn :D

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22607 on: December 27, 2020, 09:54:25 am »

Was trying to navigate using the Factory Cart. "Trying" being the key word here. What I thought was a slight incline - "slight incline" being more than enough to send the cart into a spinout - was actually a cliff. I launched, with surprising speed, over the edge and began spiraling helplessly into the void.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22608 on: December 27, 2020, 11:53:49 am »

Final Fantasy V bosses sure are... designed.  JRPGs have this reputation for being beatable through pure grind, but no amount of hit points would have saved me here.

Boss's moves:
Hit someone a little (hope for this I guess)
Hit everyone pretty hard
Confuse (mind control) someone (this can be resisted - the rest cannot!)
Paralyze someone, drain their intelligence, and make them bleed (it's a "mind blast" though??)
Just remove all but a handful of someone's hitpoints

The last two make a particularly gruesome combo.  Well the last one is brutal at the best of times, but it's a death sentence for a bleeding character.  And neither appear to grant a saving throw.  The boss randomly decided on the excellent tactic of paralyzing 3/4 of my part then removing all their HP.  My regenerating berserker flailed a while before dying similarly.

But how did the boss get so many actions?  Well, it has three invincible mirror-images which share all its powers, of course.  You have to guess which of the four to attack, and it changes every time you get it right (and also randomly).

What's that?  You used an area of effect?  Nah that's cheating, eat four massive AOEs for your trouble.  Should have guessed the rules!  Gods forbid any of this be hinted at in the game itself, you're just supposed to figure it out the hard way.

Whining done, now for solutions.  The internet suggests spamming the Samurai's gold-throw, which works against almost anything, along with a frost shield to absorb the retaliation strikes.  Somehow I don't have any frost shields though.

Ribbons should prevent the paralysis at least, but only one character learned the Equip Ribbon ability (ironically, the only guy in the party.  FFV is kinda progressive in some ways).  The ability comes from being a dancer, but dancers have AOE attacks that would get the party nuked.

Technically this dungeon is optional, I could just leave, but I've completely lost track of the main story after several months hiatus, heh.  And I'm pretty close to victory.  I can also learn that broken paralyze-drain ability with blue magic, and heck maybe it'll even work on some bosses?  This game is weird that way.

Ah, the Genji glove and Genji helmet stop paralysis and confusion!  So my knight's covered, and on healing/guard duty

Bartz goes "Freelancer" with Equip Ribbon and Rapid Fire, throwing the Rising Sun with monk strength and dancer speed.

My red mage equips Learning and a regeneration ring, hoping to learn Mind Blast and survive while throwing heals.

And my berserker gets a reflect ring just in case that actually works against anything (ought to work against Mind Blast at least...) along with duel-wielding knives.  They're a pirate after all!

welp time to get my butt kicked again, but this was fun!  Game is hard and unfair but does offer solutions.
Edit:  half my party got ganked by Level 5 death by a random encounter between the boss and save point
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 11:56:43 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22609 on: December 27, 2020, 11:57:06 am »

Is the the elemental mirages in Tree of Life?

Plenty sure you gotta defeat them one by one (with melee attacks if you can) to avoid the AoE counters, or just throw money at them.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22610 on: December 27, 2020, 12:14:10 pm »

Nah, I'm pretty sure this is after that, in "world 3" so to speak.  I had trouble with that fight too until I read about how OP coin toss is.  No, this is Wendigo in the Island shrine, and the three "fake" enemies are completely invincible and swap instantly when you hit the "real" one.  The wiki implied that throwing cash would trigger the retaliation nukes like any other AOE, hence the need for frost shields.

Also to be clear I laughed out loud at the Level 5 death, I ain't even mad (it was easy enough to recover).  Just all that planning, only to get half-pwned by a random encounter.  Apparently it cuts through ribbons even - it ain't Doom, you just die!  Balanced by being Level 5 divisible.

Edit:
Spoiler: Haha what (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AH I SEE (click to show/hide)
I know this is a proud FF tradition, I'm just cry-laughing a little at how much the devs seem to like gotcha-deaths... and then also this classic gotcha-death.  That second image was the entire first encounter, the whole thing was over before I could even realize what I was seeing XD  At least there's a save point close by, frick!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:56:23 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22611 on: December 27, 2020, 09:36:43 pm »

Also to be clear I laughed out loud at the Level 5 death, I ain't even mad (it was easy enough to recover).  Just all that planning, only to get half-pwned by a random encounter.  Apparently it cuts through ribbons even - it ain't Doom, you just die!  Balanced by being Level 5 divisible.

I remember those Ahriman-like guys from FFVII... best materia grinding spot in the game, and those guys came with L4 Death and L3 Flare, the latter of which could occasionally 1-shot you even at 99.

And I want to say that even Phoenix linked with Auto-Summon didn't work, because the party-wipe took precidence.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22612 on: December 28, 2020, 12:00:19 pm »

Spent several hours trying to reach one of the closest quartz deposits(which weren't close), including building some impressive architecture that otherwise doesn't gel well with my... discomfort at heights. Spent more hours reaching some coal deposits close to the quartz and setting up power. Since I didn't want to run over a kilometer of conveyor belt, I tried to set up a tractor on autopilot to ferry quartz.

First problem, the quartz isn't being loaded into the vehicle - and I made sure to toggle the button over "load" on the truck stop's UI. It's probably related to the second. It took me long enough to figure out how to load the truck stop - it wasn't powered, and the conveyor was going into the poorly-labeled fuel port.

Second, this is how autopilot works: you must manually drive from one stop to the other and back again after turning on the record function. While recording, every second or so the vehicle creates a waypoint. When the vehicle autopilots, it creates a line between its current waypoint and the next. When it reaches the next waypoint, that waypoint becomes its current one and it goes to the next, and so on. When moving to the next waypoint, it does so at maximum speed, and no regard for what's between the waypoints. The tractor can easily hit its listed top speed of 55km/h on flat terrain and has... poor brakes.

Currently, my tractor is stuck at the delivery stop because it overshot the truck stop's waypoint and is going nuts trying to back up. Which it can't, because it fell off the side of the ramp leading off the stop.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22613 on: December 28, 2020, 03:31:07 pm »

Two bouts of downright fucking stupidity.

1) My guy with 9 melee decided to exclusively stab the enemy in the torso. He had recon armour, so that was no bueno. In spite of that, he wanted to break the armour apparently.
2) Once the recon armour *did* break... The cloth shirt started deflecting a knife. A normal quality steel knife. How do you kill someone when they're literally impervious to damage?

EDIT: Nope, that's it. I'm swapping to reload anytime mode. If the game can't produce scaling attacks (Every attack so far has crippled me because they've sent enemies with stoneskin glands, full armour, drugs galore, or amazing weapons, or a combo of all four when I'm running with knives) then I'm just going to bypass them by changing the space-time continuum to make them never fucking occur.

EDIT2: Starvation this time. Ran out of food, and for once the game decided to fuck me by *not* providing a raid. A raid could have tided me over until the first harvest came through, but of course the game seems to have it out for me right now and decided to fuck me in a slightly more creative way than usual.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:26:01 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22614 on: December 28, 2020, 05:47:33 pm »

Nah, I'm pretty sure this is after that, in "world 3" so to speak.  I had trouble with that fight too until I read about how OP coin toss is.  No, this is Wendigo in the Island shrine, and the three "fake" enemies are completely invincible and swap instantly when you hit the "real" one.  The wiki implied that throwing cash would trigger the retaliation nukes like any other AOE, hence the need for frost shields.

Edit:
Spoiler: Haha what (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AH I SEE (click to show/hide)
I know this is a proud FF tradition, I'm just cry-laughing a little at how much the devs seem to like gotcha-deaths... and then also this classic gotcha-death.  That second image was the entire first encounter, the whole thing was over before I could even realize what I was seeing XD  At least there's a save point close by, frick!

Oh, you're fighting Omega, the hardest boss in the game, who you should only find if you open a particular chest.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22615 on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:50 pm »

That's a latter death than the Wendigo fight in the Island Shrine, but yes.

In this version Omega wanders around a certain part of the final dungeon.  It's very easy to avoid, but so hilarious (and close to a save point) that I ran into it multiple times to collect screen shots.

Also it probably says something about FF5's story that I had no idea I was in the final "dungeon" at that point.  Around the halfway point you're storming the big bad's tower of evil in a parallel world, and IIRC the false climaxes continue from there.  I know I came back from a long hiatus but I don't think that's why I was so nonplussed at entering yet another rift in spacetime.  There I was playing with Omega and wondering "I wonder when the story picks back up, that last boss had nothing to do with anything" (because it didn't, it was just a random overpowered fey in a dimensional reflection of an earlier forest, who laughed and fought us for no reason)

I absolutely *love* the main characters and their personal stories, but the main quest is quite literally all over the place.  Almost all the bosses are just... interesting entities found while exploring a vast world, largely unrelated to the "main villain".  Maybe that (and the awesome Job system) is why I like the game so much - my heroes feel like the most interesting people in the multiverse, going on adventures - not one adventure, but wandering the world and unlocking its secrets.  I'm current questing after the 12 legendary artifacts just for funsies, after wandering back out of the interdimensional rift outside of space and time.  I've got three vehicles to travel the world in and I'm mostly annoyed the game took away my submarine.

It's like the one time my DND 3.5 group got to level 15-16 play.  Utterly overpowered.
And yet I get defeated by bosses which require specific deities.  Because they, too, are legendary entities.

FF 4,6 and 7 were really good games, but I never felt like my characters were becoming demigods.  Just plucky humanoids.  Mastering job classes feels like rebuilding divine portfolios at this point - Lenna the Dragoon, Faris the Pirate, Bartz the bard, etc.  Some of this might be due to me trying to finish this game for almost two decades now, since I started emulating it in high school.  And taking almost a year hiatus from it prior to the final dungeon.  But it feels good!  Sorta like Oblivion or Skyrim, the world and characters are more interesting than the main quest.

How did I last die?  You can't kill ideas.
She/they

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • working hard or barely functioning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22616 on: December 28, 2020, 08:44:18 pm »

The problem with finding a grenade shotgun is that I love it very much and have to take it. The problem with finding two of them as Steriods is that now I can dual wield them. The problem with dual wielding grenade shotguns is that I now have no weapon which doesn't shoot a wild scatter of deadly explosives. The problem with narrow hallways is that sometimes a mini-grenade from my dual grenade shotguns will go off at a bad angle and hit the wall right next to me, killing me instantly.

Nuclear Throne

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22617 on: December 28, 2020, 09:22:37 pm »

Sounds like a natural death then.  No regrets can be had
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22618 on: December 28, 2020, 11:12:04 pm »

The problem with finding a grenade shotgun is that I love it very much and have to take it. The problem with finding two of them as Steriods is that now I can dual wield them. The problem with dual wielding grenade shotguns is that I now have no weapon which doesn't shoot a wild scatter of deadly explosives. The problem with narrow hallways is that sometimes a mini-grenade from my dual grenade shotguns will go off at a bad angle and hit the wall right next to me, killing me instantly.

Nuclear Throne

Odd how splash from your own weapons is far far more lethal to you than anything else.

First or second card drop was the card Reprogram, which boosts Strength and Dexterity (punch damage and blocking ability) but cuts Focus (the power of orbs you summon, its the main gimmick of the character), I decide to run with it, even removing the starting cards to summon orbs and dualcast them.  Using reprogram twice makes orbs essentially worthless.  I quickly notice like most cards I could find do something with orbs, and so with negative focus aren't worth picking up.  I did get Hyperbeam, a big attack that also cuts Focus, so its downside doesn't matter.  Fusion orbs also don't care about focus, but they were a big mana investment up front to create.

I died fairly early on in act 2.  If I found more/any Claw cards or other raw damage or block cards over orb cards, it might've gone better.  Also more than one Reprogram, as deck bloat slowed down using Reprogram and so my main scaling.

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22619 on: December 31, 2020, 10:49:03 am »

Was drawing out a captain by killing his Olog buddies, managed to get him to show up, but tried to clear up the mess of grunts around me before facing him. Kept trying to drain a pesky Olog as I'd just unlocked an upgrade that allowed that. Fucker ignored that and stomped me. Missed the 'try not to die quicktime event' so he not only kills me, but he fucking DESTROYS my goddamn LEGENDARY SWORD, the one that drops from a legendary orc captain, the super rare fuckers.

At this point I think I'm done with the game, two forts down, some 50ish% completed. I've seen pretty much everything so far, the story isn't interesting in the slightest and the gameplay itself is starting to grow stale. Game was worth the 10 or so Euros I got it for, but not much more than that.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1506 1507 [1508] 1509 1510 ... 1572