Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 1572

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2327631 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22575 on: December 14, 2020, 08:52:35 pm »

So the wiki article I linked is lying then. I'm surprised. Guess they were right when they said it was outdated.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22576 on: December 14, 2020, 08:57:01 pm »

Just checked the wiki. You are right about the cyberdemon not following this rule. Mancubi, revenants, archviles, and barons of hell do though.
Nah, I doubt the wiki is wrong. I think you and the wiki are far more likely to be right then my memories of the game. That's what I get for not seeing+checking the link you posted.  :-[
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22577 on: December 15, 2020, 12:38:03 am »

Don't doubt yourself too much. People hate the wiki of DoomRL for a reason. The only way we'll ever know for sure is by playing the game again and observing that behavior.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22578 on: December 15, 2020, 03:58:23 am »

I checked the wiki strategy page for the Cyberdemon
https://drl.chaosforge.org/wiki/Strategy:Cyberdemon
And they mention taking out the Cyberdemon with the chainsaw that you can get in the Chained Court optional level.
Anyone tried this ? This sound awfully dangerous , maybe unless you have an awesome armor to tank the damage without the armor getting annihilated in a few hits.

Now the Chainsaw is one thing, but if you manage to find 2 Power and 1 Bulk mod , while having at least 1 level of Whizkid, you can assemble the Double Chainsaw, that can deal double 2 times the damage ( 8d6 instead of 4d6 ) but for some reason has -2 in accuracy. Maybe that can make short enough work of the Cyberdemon in melee so you don't lose several armors and medkits ?

Though 2 power mods is a lot (as they can be used elsewhere) to invest in that double chainsaw before reaching the Cyberdemon level

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22579 on: December 15, 2020, 12:09:54 pm »

I think I did the chainsaw thing back when I knew how to play and did a melee-only playthrough. I don't think I ever got the fists-only achievement.

Edit: It's also weird how easy it is to beat the bruiser brothers without taking damage. A shotgun and the edge of the wall and you win every time. And you probably have a shotgun if you made it through all of the lost souls on the way to them. I was recently killed by the cacodemons there, because I'm not smart enough to watch my health. Back to Ao100, though. The boss fights are kind of dumb.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:19:07 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22580 on: December 15, 2020, 02:52:53 pm »

And they mention taking out the Cyberdemon with the chainsaw that you can get in the Chained Court optional level.
Anyone tried this ? This sound awfully dangerous , maybe unless you have an awesome armor to tank the damage without the armor getting annihilated in a few hits.

I think I've done that before on a melee-only kick and I had the fortune to spawn right next to him. If my memory serves, the trickier part with a melee-build is getting close enough to him to hit him before the rockets whittle you down. Maybe if you're somebody that can actually dodge his rockets, it'd be something more reliable.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22581 on: December 15, 2020, 04:39:16 pm »

Ran out of ammo and was killed by a shadow of my own imagination.

I did much less well in Dead Space 2 than I expected compared to the first.  I've played the first many times more and have almost everything memorized, which I don't in DS2, but I also was only playing on survivalist difficulty so I figured it wouldn't be so bad.

After dying to a trash necromorph somewhere in chapter 3 if I recall, I gave up on a deathless run and instead just decided to see if I could beat the game without having to buy ammo.  I could not, but did make it to chapter 12 before I finally had to give in and spend some of my $100K on ammo.  I forgot DS2 was so much stingier with ammo, and it got rough around the point you enter the Ishimura.  I also forgot that the force gun got hit hard with the nerf bat on ammo capacity and drops, and I'd honestly switch it out for the pulse rifle next time, which is the opposite of the first game.  And boy does the game give you a disproportionate amount of detonator ammo if you have it.

Debating trying to beat the game on zealot difficulty or moving on to Dead Space 3.  I can probably do a lot better on another try, but the last segment of the game up to the marker looks like it'll be miserable on zealot mode.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22582 on: December 15, 2020, 04:53:12 pm »

I think I've done that before on a melee-only kick and I had the fortune to spawn right next to him. If my memory serves, the trickier part with a melee-build is getting close enough to him to hit him before the rockets whittle you down. Maybe if you're somebody that can actually dodge his rockets, it'd be something more reliable.

Hellrunner is real good when you're melee. Dodging and enough move speed to get into melee range alive? All day every day.

Most recent Ao100 run: survived 5 our of 6 mancubi while surrounded by exploding lava barrels on the 27th level. Guess I should try again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #22583 on: December 15, 2020, 06:25:16 pm »

Edit: It's also weird how easy it is to beat the bruiser brothers without taking damage. A shotgun and the edge of the wall and you win every time.

Can you expound, because I always die on Phobos Anomaly.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22584 on: December 15, 2020, 08:30:56 pm »

You always can do a pretty good job hiding behind a wall as a technician.  You keep pumping shells at everything and let the knockback push back the enemies.

Havent played in years, but shotguns and the bonuses a technician gets for hiding by a wall and pumping shells will do quite a bit for you as long as you can stay out of the open.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22585 on: December 15, 2020, 08:46:10 pm »

Edit: It's also weird how easy it is to beat the bruiser brothers without taking damage. A shotgun and the edge of the wall and you win every time.

Can you expound, because I always die on Phobos Anomaly.

After the lost spirits and cacodemons, there is the bloody wall that explodes. Instead of following the path, approach from the bottom or top (just outside of where the blood is). Just keep shooting where you think they are and reloading. The hits from the shotgun will keep them from approaching.

the bonuses a technician gets for hiding by a wall and pumping shells will do quite a bit for you as long as you can stay out of the open.

Looks like that's the technical mod pack (lowers firing time). The technician does get some impressive benefits, though: modding uniques and computer maps=tracking maps. +10% speed for scout isn't bad, either.

Edit: Although, for non-deaths, we should probably go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:05:00 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22586 on: December 16, 2020, 08:52:52 am »

After doing something frankly ugly (it's annoying because there does not seem to be an alternative path) to advance on the main quest, i managed to obtain the door code for the Lab x-18 from those Sin horrible people.
Once i went to location, for the first time in that game (as it has been incredibly well performing up to now) i faced a massive sutter/lag that went on for a dozen of seconds.
(edit : it's actually documented in the readme that i overlook, the only place in the game in which there's such problem, you just have to wait the lag to disappear, it's loading all the monsters and all the insane amount of items physics when you enter first the lab, those insane amount of physic-ed objects are because there are a few damned burers that will psychically throw them at you constantly in every rooms)

After performance was back to normal, i understood what happened rather quickly : a huge amount of rats and giants rats had spawned down there, along many of those bizarro child-sized running zombies, i guess some of those spawned in wrong area and their broken path finding hurt the scripts performance very badly.

Anyways it was good i had grenades because i wonder if i had enough normal ammo for this ridiculous amount of enemies.

After noticing a bloodsucker that was stuck running into a wall (great so i killed that thing without risks for once) , i decided to climb into a vent system.
Annoying vent system because Lab x-18 in that game had a script to destroy my flashlight when you enter for some reason (maybe the dev liked his shadow so much to build the atmosphere), as the vent was mostly devoid of any light source (and fortunately no enemies in there).

When i found an exit to that vent system, i started to see some eyes burning into a completely dark room nearby.
Then as whatever thing started running i saw the shape, a damned burer , he was throwing wave of his powers and various objects while i was hiding behind a wall and shooting from time to time from that cover.

Some lights were surrounding his hands at some point and he gestured, i assumed it was the force field he creates temporarly for a few seconds when shot like those burers do in other Stalker games and mods.

Except it was not because as soon as i came out of cover to aim more carefully at the damn thing head while the force field was up (as the burer usually can't do anything when he maintain his force field), i got a full power wave right to my face and sending my character out of the game.
Yeah, so in this game they can force field and shoot at the same time.

So far that game has been a lot of fun.

Oblivion Lost Remake : Vector of Alienation
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:23:35 pm by Robsoie »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22587 on: December 16, 2020, 09:59:38 am »

Now the Chainsaw is one thing, but if you manage to find 2 Power and 1 Bulk mod , while having at least 1 level of Whizkid, you can assemble the Double Chainsaw, that can deal double 2 times the damage ( 8d6 instead of 4d6 ) but for some reason has -2 in accuracy. Maybe that can make short enough work of the Cyberdemon in melee so you don't lose several armors and medkits ?

Though 2 power mods is a lot (as they can be used elsewhere) to invest in that double chainsaw before reaching the Cyberdemon level
All bosses are fairly weak to melee. With the right melee build, you will either heal faster than cybie can damage you, or chainberserk long enough to kill him in enough turns to count on your fingers. Melee's weakness comes from when there are multiple enemies, because you won't be able to take them all out at once and can be shot from afar.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22588 on: December 16, 2020, 04:17:01 pm »

A few turns into the second act, and one of my psychotic half-siblings sails up and dumps a huge army on my capital island. All I can muster is a single Trooper. All the rest of my army, which would certainly have been enough to win, was rushing to claim territory on the mainland before the other psychotic half-siblings could cut me off with their end-game tier ships that they already have somehow around my waters.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22589 on: December 16, 2020, 11:53:53 pm »

Saw a fuzzy thing. Jumped off of a mountain to see what it was.

Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 1572