Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1502 1503 [1504] 1505 1506 ... 1572

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2327644 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22545 on: November 13, 2020, 09:29:55 pm »

I tried Zorbus again. Gnome mage with the team xp ability. Cleaned out the first 2 floors, except the second floor never showed 100% even with the nothing else to explore message.

Returned to the shop plane, picked up a dwarven ally (already had a drow and a grif). Raised 3 dead, and armed/armored everyone. First room of the 3rd floor was empty, second room was the goblin king and allies. They all targeted me, and I was a squishy mage.
IIRC the message means that there isn't anything left *you* can explore, typically because your search skill is too low.

Presuming you have good int (you should as a gnome mage) and your torch is on you should be able to search all of the second floor without issue.

Oh yeah. 2 or 3 skill, and a +3 from gnome mage intelligence.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22546 on: November 17, 2020, 07:07:18 pm »

Jumped in towards the end of an alert. TR had 40% of the map, VS 38%, NC had the rest. Looked very close, as the VS were taking an NC base. Seconds before the alert ended, I watched the score as the VS took that base from the NC, and the territory percentage for VS went from 38% to 39%. We still had 40%.

Then the alert ended. With a VS win. ???

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22547 on: November 27, 2020, 05:50:42 pm »

How the FUCK are you supposed to win at a conflict zone? I've only done so once and that's because the side I joined massively outclassed the opposing side.

This time what I got was four ships simultaneously breaking away from their targets to bumrush me. They took out almost all of my systems because it's hard to survive four slightly-better-than-you ships doing this. I rebooted my systems, tried to hyperspace away... And they immediately shot my engines offline again.

The fuck are you supposed to do when the AI seems to prioritise players over literally anything else?

Elite: Dangerous

EDIT: Oh yes, the other thing I forgot. Enemy ships can turn on a dime. I had a ship three times my size run loops around me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:07:57 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22548 on: November 27, 2020, 06:22:33 pm »

It was a winning combination: I was breathless and could flood the map at will. I was a walking dynamo, spewing more electricity than a moonwalker in wool socks. I could swim almost as fast as I could fall. In an emergency, I could freeze the world around me, sealing myself in a nigh impenetrable sphere of ice and later break myself at my leisure.

So how did I die?

I got plunged into a lake of lava and my emergency freeze froze the lava around me... without a way to break out.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22549 on: November 27, 2020, 07:01:22 pm »

Curious--did that actually kill you or just prevent you from escaping?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22550 on: November 27, 2020, 08:33:42 pm »

Hacked apart by Captain Mathias in Dead Space.  I was even still at about 75% health.  Impossible difficulty is no joke.

I've beaten impossible difficulty once before on the console version many years ago, and after playing through hard mode on the PC a few weeks ago I figured I'd give impossible a shot.  I was expecting more difficult than I got.  I beat hard mode while only dying twice, both times to the lockdown area in the Valor's barracks due to running out of ammo and not having time to reload before exploders got too close.  However, I ran out of ammo in chapter 1 a couple of times on hard mode and had to resort to melee, which is dicey even on easier difficulties.

Impossible hasn't been so bad.  I finished chapter 1 with more than 50 shots of plasma energy and didn't die once, due to much abuse of stasis and melee and running back to the tram area repeatedly to recharge stasis to save ammo.

I've died twice in chapter 2 though, since even mook slashers do ~50% damage with one hit and two slashers killed me when my cat got in the way.  Then I screwed up on the captain when I missed the infector with stasis, leading to a panic as I tried to stop it from infecting more corpses and Mathias sneaking up behind me and killing me in 1 hit.  Next attempt went much better, with no damage taken.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22551 on: November 27, 2020, 09:40:59 pm »

Curious--did that actually kill you or just prevent you from escaping?

Survived it easily. If you keep trying to move, the game breaks a small patch of terrain around your feet/torso that allows you to move again, but in my case... I'm entirely entombed, not just jammed into the terrain. Even if I can move, it's just an inch to the left and right.

I did actually have a spell that could bust me out, but... uh... screen-clearing explosives at point blank range without explosion immunity usually doesn't end well.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22552 on: November 30, 2020, 11:56:32 am »

On the one hand, I've learned how to outmanoeuvre most AI ships.

On the other, conflict zones still elude me because the AI still seems to think I'm the #1 threat and thus every ship within a light year should attack me rather than, say, the huge fuckoff allied ships that are tearing them apart.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22553 on: November 30, 2020, 03:39:47 pm »

I played through Heroine's Quest (similar to the Quest for Glory games, but slightly janky freeware) as a sorceress. It's a pretty good game for the first 3/4, then the bad UI and long (~60 second) restart times combine with a string of bullshit insta-death guessing games. I died a few times to clicking in slightly the wrong location a few times, then not guessing the correct response to an unknowable next attack enough times that I gave up and looked up the solution.

That's how I learned that I started the fight off wrong, and would never get the correct combination, even though the game treated it as the correct solution. Game got uninstalled.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22554 on: November 30, 2020, 03:57:40 pm »

I played through Heroine's Quest (similar to the Quest for Glory games, but slightly janky freeware) as a sorceress. It's a pretty good game for the first 3/4, then the bad UI and long (~60 second) restart times combine with a string of bullshit insta-death guessing games. I died a few times to clicking in slightly the wrong location a few times, then not guessing the correct response to an unknowable next attack enough times that I gave up and looked up the solution.

That's how I learned that I started the fight off wrong, and would never get the correct combination, even though the game treated it as the correct solution. Game got uninstalled.
I played through the game myself (a number of years ago, now), also as a magic user. Definitely agree that the final area was by far the weakest part of the game. Don't remember if I ended up having to use a guide to get though it, but I probably did - some of those puzzles were decidedly half-baked.

I did decide to put in my time to get to the final victory screen, though. Felt good at the end. I'd still recommend the game, despite the rough ending.

Edit: Posting this made me look up my Steam screenshots folder, since I remembered saving that final screen: Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 5:11pm. Damn does the time fly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22555 on: November 30, 2020, 04:32:52 pm »

Picked up on sale. Turns out the main monster now has an unescapable instant-kill attack that works even if you're at full health.

Also, Hunter Gammas intsta-kill, as I learned trying to run away from one and ran right into another. They're killable but the second I shot one in the mouth with a flame grenade, the power in my house went out.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22556 on: November 30, 2020, 06:01:50 pm »

RE3make would be an infinitely better abbreviation if only for the fact that it's actually possible to pronounce it at a glance.
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22557 on: December 04, 2020, 07:27:57 pm »

Wouldn't R3make fit the whole 'use a 3 as an e' thing, like using 4 for a?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22558 on: December 04, 2020, 08:39:35 pm »

Yeah, but Capcom probably wouldn't go for an abbreviation like that.
Black lives matter.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22559 on: December 06, 2020, 12:15:44 pm »

Well, now I'm facing a straight up bizarre issue.

I've bought a better ship. I've upgraded the firepower.

Now enemy ships seem to take... significantly reduced damage?

I used to be able to get through ships at a decent pace, now for some reason they seem to take 1/4 damage from every attack of mine, and I've no idea why. Also my current ship has a canopy the size of Mars so it's at constant risk of getting blown out (And for the first time ever, has been blown out). AND I can't upgrade my ship because every system I'm visiting only has the smallest stations possible. The one exception I found was a station a ridiculous distance away from where you jump out, and I'm not spending 30 minutes sitting around waiting for my supercruise assist to get me there.

Pages: 1 ... 1502 1503 [1504] 1505 1506 ... 1572