Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2375903 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #21045 on: January 30, 2019, 05:47:01 pm »

Decided to move HQ to a small, unmarked farm(? no farmland around it) a little ways south-southeast of Negades. Primary reason was the only Logistics missions Petros was giving me were Steal/Destroy Ammo Truck as opposed to City Supply deliveries. And while I actually wanted the ammo-truck missions to buff up my arsenal, the only ones of those he was generating were either one that buggered CSAT or one that required a full-on amphibious assault with limited forces(ie I couldn't bring my OP tank). The area around Negades still has several AAF outposts the mission template can utilize.

I move camp without too much issue, then saved, but when I tried to add men to the HQ garrison, I get a warning about enemies too close to add to garrison. I figure this proximity range for that is actually pretty wide, since the same enemy proximity denial for fast travel is pretty large as well. I'll just get everything unpacked and I'll do a sweep of the area for any random patrols.

Literally as I decided that, gunfire erupts from a very close distance. I see at least two AAF troops firing at Petros(they prioritize him over you), about 50m from the base perimeter. I take one sidestep, and immediately take a bullet to the face - one that would have probably killed Petros if I hadn't sidestepped. Bear in mind, the penalty for dying/respawning is significantly less than the penalty if the enemy kills Petros.

Since Petros was still going to die, I simply Alt-F4'd right there and just start from the most recent save. Only major loss was a big pile of landmines I had an engineer clear from a minefield near Therisa. Not sure if the truck he was supposed to be storing the mines in got saved - the engineer wasn't, as AI troops are simply refunded in cost instead. And even if it was, I don't know if the cargo would be too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Spent at least half an hour, probably closer to an hour, defending a constant attack. Was actually going pretty well. I had lost about three dozen soldiers total out of everywhere that was being attacked, compared to the enemy losing roughly the same number in vehicles. APCs, helicopters, jets, UAVs, even a tank, all brought down as they crashed against layers of prepared defenses. In terms of enemy manpower, consider every APC and most of the helicopters carry probably around a dozen men, not counting crews. They probably lost a couple of company-sized forces(according to this, it'd technically be called a "troop", not company, since they're armor/airborne forces).

Then my tank was vaporized by a random airstrike. Just because.

On the plus side, I did find comments in a few places that this size of an enemy force may actually have been a bug all along.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 07:50:44 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21046 on: January 31, 2019, 08:07:17 am »

I downloaded the Neverwinter Nights module "Gladiatrix," thinking that if the combat is going to bore me to tears I can at least have fun with a trashy erotic low-fantasy story.

Holy heck was I wrong. The module's readme recommends a fighter with high stats and they weren't kidding, I'm dying every other combat. This last time I got killed by Katani, my bitchy rival at the academy. The fight was supposed to be non-lethal, too! I can't tell if the script bugged or if I'm just forced to win this fight regardless of what the plot says.

Neverwinter Nights.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21047 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:08 am »

"We should totally make an erotic module for NWN"

"Hell yeah! CHA as a dumpstat?"

"Always"

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #21048 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:14 am »

After killing the big snakewoman with a trident and a magical chopped off head, Weeb McTrash heads off to the Iron Keep and dies to a cheeky cunt, Fencer Sharron. He has completely forgotten about the bonfire in the area, which means he has to make his way to the Iron Keep yet again. Yikes.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21049 on: January 31, 2019, 07:46:54 pm »

Had to replay the opening sequence several times because my 3DS battery kept shutting down. The first time I almost managed to create a restore point, except the virtual console insisted on doing the tutorial for it - the 3DS shut off less than half a second before I tapped on the button to create the restore point. The last time it did it, it might have shut off mid-save, so possible save corruption(good thing it keeps two save-states).

Just the other day, it was only doing that around noontime, regardless of usage. Now it's doing it every break time at work. Good thing I already have a new battery on order... except I just checked the tracking information, and it's ETA date is next Thursday. *sigh* That's what I get for using Free Shipping(5-8 business days), since the only other shipping option less than $10 only took one day off that(order also contains a Switch and related accessories).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21050 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:20 pm »

Died a whole lot more in Alien: Isolation.  I thought I was good at this game, but wow, trying to beat it without killing anyone is way, way harder than I remembered.  I'm pretty sure luring the alien into killing someone doesn't count against the achievement, but it feels like it's not in the spirit of things.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21051 on: February 01, 2019, 12:55:55 am »

The good thing about human enemies is that they're way too enthusiastic about firearms and make tons of noise, which means the ayy comes along and noms them. Self-solving problem.
The bad part about humans is that once they get nommed, you're alone in there with the ayy.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21052 on: February 01, 2019, 03:13:11 am »

My bloodthirsty horse charged right into the center of a bandit camp, neighing a battle-cry, intending to kill them all with his bare hooves. His brilliant plan didn't work, and now I had to face three fully-alert bandits instead of picking them off one-by-one.

As cool as horses are, I'm starting to think that they're more annoying than they're worth, unless I can find a mod that makes them not so aggressive.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21053 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:32 am »

The good thing about human enemies is that they're way too enthusiastic about firearms and make tons of noise, which means the ayy comes along and noms them. Self-solving problem.
The bad part about humans is that once they get nommed, you're alone in there with the ayy.

Oh, definitely.  It's always fun to watch them shooting at the alien as it eats people before it rushes over and eats them.

The part I kept dying on last night was the escape of the medical facility, where you have to go past two armed and hostile humans.  It comes down to a choice of trying to bypass them without making noise and hope the alien doesn't spawn, or find a way to get them to shoot at you and spawn the alien, but where it won't see you in the process.  I think I may try it again tonight and just throw a noise maker at them and hope the alien spawns from a vent near them.  I must have just gotten lucky the last few times I played this part of the game.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21054 on: February 01, 2019, 03:22:01 pm »

I was trying to find a specific location to drop off a crate of illegal goods burning a hole in my supplies, but I was attacked by an enemy vessel with twice the health of mine and three guns. I had very little fuel left, and very little health, but I fought them until I was out of fuel and his engine was utterly destroyed. It turned into me and him shooting, waiting for the other to die, until we were both down to single digit health, and I waited until the moment he fired to shoot in retaliation... And the last thing I saw as my ship went down into the dark abyss below... was his going down with us.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21055 on: February 01, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »

Again, I generate a pretty sweet map, build up a decent settlement, then discover that nobody can produce lacquerware. Starting to think there's a bug here.

I also forgot the map seed I used, dammit.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21056 on: February 01, 2019, 08:41:06 pm »

I am the king of carriers. i found a slightly damaged heron. i have 3 in all carrier abilities. i will drown the enemy in the husks of my heavy fighters. my companions are strong in their hammerheads. we are ready.

turns out that being swarmed at 4 to 1 with destroyers and smaller is enough to depose the king of carriers.

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #21057 on: February 01, 2019, 08:54:34 pm »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21058 on: February 01, 2019, 09:08:19 pm »

Oof yeah I always fuckin forget to spymimic check the boss rewards but only when it turns out to be a mimic.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21059 on: February 02, 2019, 05:57:08 am »

Again, I generate a pretty sweet map, build up a decent settlement, then discover that nobody can produce lacquerware. Starting to think there's a bug here.

I also forgot the map seed I used, dammit.

You're generating the map in the right era, right? You don't have access to bronzeware? I forget what the year transition is specifically, but lacquer is fairly late-late era, and it replaces bronzeware completely.

As for trade goods/routes, I'm pretty sure you can send scouts/emissaries to "unknown" cities and find out what they're selling from that. Emissaries are reasonably cheap, so just toss them out there to sniff around. Unless that's what you meant by attempting to start a trade route.
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 1575