Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376211 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20895 on: December 04, 2018, 05:34:21 pm »

The first boss of the game, the Comms Officer, has an instant-death, impossible-to-escape-once-it-decides-to-use-it attack with a fairly large grab radius. The fight also has infinitely respawning enemies. Apparently, the trick to beating it is to go somewhere way off to an unrelated area to pick up a sniper rifle, stun it with the conveniently-placed explosive barrels, then shoot it in the face so many times.

But that's not what this post is about. It's about the part where you fight two of these bastards at once, with different characters(you don't have sniper rifle, though your annoying twat of a partner does if she decides to use it), no explosive barrels(no infinite enemies luckily), and just after a large combat segment that drains most of your ammo.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20896 on: December 04, 2018, 06:39:38 pm »

It is amazing how many problems can be resolved by assassinating the Pope. Truly amazing.

Also, I died when I was trying to remove a bugged fleet from my game in Stellaris via the damage command, and accidentally had one of my own fleets targeted :>
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20897 on: December 04, 2018, 09:20:21 pm »

The combination of mods (Including stuff like Project Nevada) I had meant that enemies had .45 Auto Pistols, which deal somewhat more damage than the 9 and 10mm weaponry that vanilla foes start off using.

This both resulted in an actual challenge with the risk of death (which I kind of liked) and an actual challenge with the risk of death (which I didn't like).

It, alongside Hardcore mode and a setting in Project Nevada that turned off food healing also meant doctors could and should actually be used, rather than me just stabbing myself multiple times or scarfing down two meal's worth of food at once, so I'm kind of thankful for that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20898 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:37 pm »

Okay, when I say "stay here", I mean "stay here", on this side of the spinning blade of death. Don't wander to the other side of the spinning blade of death and get rushed by the giant mutant with a sledgehammer that I'm trying to lure into the spinning blade of death. Got that, Claire?

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #20899 on: December 08, 2018, 07:17:37 am »

Went to my doctor to cure cancer, he removed my dick and an eye. At least I'm alive.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20900 on: December 09, 2018, 11:08:38 am »

Am playing Nemesis of the Roman Empire, an old RTS that never got much advertising, and I discovered something crazy.  Of the three AI options, apparently the medium AI (which still beat me quite a few times before I learned to beat it reliably) is intentionally gimped.  Like super badly.  There's a once per game ability called tribute that that after a minute and a half (with a globally visible timer) gathers a large amount of gold in each settlement you have which you can then send back to your strongholds.  I assumed the AI just didn't know how to use it, no apparently the hard AI can.  The particular faction they were playing as (Iberians) has mostly units that are highly specialized or even potentially detrimental.  The medium AI just can't handle that, but the hard AI grabbed the couple of units that are generically useful and then formed the rest of their army out of neutral units or units from other factions.

The most incredible thing is that the medium AI apparently only sends out one army at a time for each task it wants to do.  I learned this because the hard AI has no such restriction and crushed a 150 strong, fairly elite army with like 300 units of its own.

I was playing on a huge map with 6 medium AIs and one hard AIs.  Apparently the hard AI not only buzzsawed through the medium ones just as well as I did, it actually took more land than me.  The only thing I will say in my defense is that once your nation gets to be a certain size the game can be really hard to control so of course the AI will do well at that.  Not sure if it cheats on top of all that but its so weird to me that a game from 2003 would intentionally make its mid level AI less intelligent.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20901 on: December 10, 2018, 09:18:39 am »

Decided to catalog all of my video games on VideoGameGeek. My RPGs and board games are already there so why not do everything else?

Well, I've been at it for days. I've got games on several storefronts but I've started with Steam. According to my Steam profile, I've got 1,358 games and 1,679 DLC, maybe 4/5 of which are already in the database.

Death: My poor fingers.
Game: IRL

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20902 on: December 10, 2018, 11:27:48 am »

And how many of those have you actually played? ;P

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20903 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:50 am »

At least 30%. Steam has apparently added some privacy settings since the last time I used steamdb so I can't be super exact until steamdb clears its cache.

Cache clear edit:
58%! Better than I expected.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:14:46 pm by Mephisto »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20904 on: December 11, 2018, 06:36:09 am »

Was ambushed by an ostrich made of rotting human corpses. It knocked my partner to a dying state, and as I went to help her, it hit my with an undodgeable, unbreakable, instant-death attack.

EDIT: Got gassed while fighting what could very accurately be described as Baba Yaga.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:21:41 pm by Akura »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20905 on: December 15, 2018, 01:40:41 am »

Supreme Commander 2 has many many flaws, it is a clear and baffling several steps back from the original but that's a different story. One of it's glaring flaws is that the game doesn't pause during cutscenes, which means that say, if you had your commander near the front of the enemy base and thought the mission was done because you just murdered the enemy commander, before getting interrupted by a cutscene and realising you have to fight a fucking land dragon next, you might learn that while the cutscene was playing out, your commander got swarmed by some remaining enemy units (which should've self destructed when their commander died) and get murdered in turn making you fail the shitty mission.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20906 on: December 16, 2018, 10:14:20 am »

It's been a while since I last posted here, but this death I think deserved mentioning, because this is the first YASD I ever managed in a spaceship game.

Everspace.

Point one: colliding into any physical object will deal damage proportional to speed of collision.
Point two: the Energized Boost device gives you a very brief but massive multiplier to maximum speed, and you can't stop until it runs out.
Point three: the Colonial Scout has a lot of speed, and not a lot of HP.
Point four: a loot container counts as a physical object.

Moral: if using an Energized Boost to quickly approach a bit of loot in the distance, especially in a colonial scout, aim a little to the side of it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20907 on: December 16, 2018, 03:50:33 pm »

Not a death per se, but my pride took a sizable hit.

Bigpic

Farming Simulator 19. If you're reading the in-game chat, this is the result of me trying to unfuck myself.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20908 on: December 16, 2018, 03:53:52 pm »

“I’m stuck in the bridge.”

“You mean on the bridge, right?”

“No, my vehicle is literally inside the bridge.”

“Damn, son. Tell me about seeds.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20909 on: December 16, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »

Can't you just reset the vehicle to your farm? Or did they remove that in this edition?

My death: tried to turn into a mouse. Then the game crashed.

Pages: 1 ... 1392 1393 [1394] 1395 1396 ... 1575