Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376581 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20745 on: October 13, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »

I played hardcore mode by leveling up survival and regenerating my face with a tasty snack.

I had scores of unused stimpaks sitting in my inventory because I never really needed to use any of them... every now and then I'd pull one out just because I felt bad for them. Survival was pretty broken.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20746 on: October 13, 2018, 04:35:04 pm »

I don't remember Wendy's Castle being so difficult. The actual fight against her was also harder than it had any right to be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20747 on: October 13, 2018, 09:13:48 pm »

Was laughing at a dude on my team two inches away from me who got gibbed by artillery, when my squad spawns on me and watches as only i get gibbed midshittalk. It was hilariously perfect.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20748 on: October 14, 2018, 03:09:56 am »

For the record:  A vow to do no harm, and not be seen, IS broken by very carefully sneaking up and smashing the window next to them.  Sucking them and you into vacuum, to be picked up by your ship.

"Nonlethal weapon required" was technically incorrect, through that method, so I had to try.  The mission did warn me that it would break my vow.

Heat Signature
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20749 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:07 am »

Got endings F and P. F was mostly intentional, P was mostly not. Technically, neither are death. They're worse.

For the record:  A vow to do no harm, and not be seen, IS broken by very carefully sneaking up and smashing the window next to them.

How do you smash a window like that? I've tried hitting it with my concussion hammer, and it didn't work. My main character's personal mission requires capturing his girlfriend's murderer alive, yet from the mission description it looks like he(and every guard on the ship) is armored, and I have no non-lethal armor-piercing weapons yet. I'm trying to liberate towards a station that'll give me concussion grenades but that's a long way off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20750 on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:10 am »

You smash the person and they go flying into the window, breaking it. Also, concussions count as harm for the purposes of the ghost vow/pacifist vow.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20751 on: October 14, 2018, 05:19:59 am »

How do you smash a window like that? I've tried hitting it with my concussion hammer, and it didn't work. My main character's personal mission requires capturing his girlfriend's murderer alive, yet from the mission description it looks like he(and every guard on the ship) is armored, and I have no non-lethal armor-piercing weapons yet. I'm trying to liberate towards a station that'll give me concussion grenades but that's a long way off.
Throw any melee weapon except for a shortblade at the window, or shoot it. Alternatively, concussion hammer your target into it, or run into it at full speed with a slipstream.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20752 on: October 14, 2018, 05:37:23 am »

I played hardcore mode by leveling up survival and regenerating my face with a tasty snack.

I had scores of unused stimpaks sitting in my inventory because I never really needed to use any of them... every now and then I'd pull one out just because I felt bad for them. Survival was pretty broken.

One of the mods I’m using, Project Nevada, lets you switch off the healing food and drink provide - meaning, for example, that the Sarsparilla no longer behaves like a discount (and fairly heavy) stimpak.

For some reason the healing of Nuka-Cola still occurs, but since they’re rather uncommon, I’m fine with popping one or two to get my HP back up.

I managed to get plenty of stims through a... less honest method.

Let’s just say I think the gambling can be pretty bullshit (which, admittedly, is kinda like it is in real life) if you don’t have a high Luck stat, and that I gave myself a high luck stat. I switched back, afterwards. It’s a single player game, so the fact people cheat will only really bother you if you let it.

Incidentially, I think the final section of Dead Money, before you reach the vault, is literally the game at its fucking worst. Speakers you can’t destroy in places where you don’t know where you’re safe, and a final section where you’re forced to slip past a number of holograms to deactivate a force field.

Died multiple times trying to deal with that bullshit.

Have died a few times in Old World Blues from melee enemies. Haven’t seen Cazadores... at all in this run, really. Not looking forward to the buggers, though.

How do you smash a window like that? I've tried hitting it with my concussion hammer, and it didn't work.
Knock back from a hammer or shotgun works - other melee and guns can do the job, but beware of recieving bullets of your own trying to push the guard through.

A wrench and I believe a long blade can smash a window if thrown. I thought concussion hammers could, too, but maybe I was mistaken.

Shooting the window directly with a gun will break it - though a pacifist/ghost likely wouldn’t carry one of those, anyway.

Grenades that harm people can smash windows, too.

Finally, a slipstream can make you move fast enough to smash a window while it’s active.

Those are the only ways I know of.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20753 on: October 14, 2018, 09:18:27 am »

You can also toss an unconscious person through the window, but you need a running start and the timing's a bit janky.  I mostly just do that out of tradition.  Otherwise great lists!

Also it's T to throw for anyone not aware, and throwing is fricken amazing.  Basically makes melee weapons ranged *and* lets you use them more rapidly.  Makes the concussion hammer and the shortblade a lot less valuable, except for style points and the concussion hammer's hilarious knockback.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20754 on: October 14, 2018, 09:44:19 am »

I have a gimmick on my current character where I leave the ships I infiltrate via a breach, either using a breach grenade or shooting out a window. It's funny and earns me cool points.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20755 on: October 14, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »

I almost never leave a ship the way I came in. For small ships, it's easy enough to just knock everyone out and autopilot the whole thing back to the station. For large ships, a window is usually right next to your target anyway, so it's the natural choice.
I should remind myself that telepads and fuel barrels work too.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20756 on: October 14, 2018, 05:37:02 pm »

"Yeah, so, the difficulty slider doesn't actually do much with the specific toughness or number of enemies, it just determines how many stopgaps preventing the horrible combat system from completely falling apart getting disabled."

"As such, welcome to your first boss fight. All buffs and effects will be stripped before the start, and since you're on hard difficulty you won't be able to apply new ones during the fight. We'll spawn you within melee range of the boss and activate his AI before fading the screen back in from the cutscene. Since you were just in a cutscene, that means you are now in 'non-combat' mode, meaning you cannot dodge or select spells until you reactivate combat mode, which can only be done while unpaused. Also the boss can stunlock you for long enough to delete 70% of your health bar (which cannot be recovered because you can't drink new potions and the old ones got stripped) without help, and 120% of it if he does get help. Did I mention the infinitely-spawning minions? Infinitely-spawning minions."

"Difficulty level cannot be reconfigured after the save file has been created. Thought you ought to know that, now that you're nearly ten hours in. Cheers."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20757 on: October 14, 2018, 07:36:39 pm »

Fell in a hole, after touching spikes a few times, after being killed by a stupid mechaniloid with way too much health just so I could copy it with Axl to rescue a reploid standing on spikes...

Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20758 on: October 15, 2018, 11:24:06 am »

A pile of rock came to life and started tracking me with a beam. I tried to avoid it, but the follow-up attack had perfect accuracy and oneshot me.

Surprisingly deadly for one of the first areas of the game. I like it!

Breath of the Wild.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20759 on: October 15, 2018, 11:35:30 am »

That wasn't a pile of rocks. Also, you're not supposed to beat those things (or the ACTUAL moving piles of rocks that don't track you with beams) til mid or late-game, unless you've got a LOT of arrows and a lot of bows and really good accuracy and the willingness to do something pointless for awhile.

But yes, BOTW is one of my all-time favorite games for sure.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1382 1383 [1384] 1385 1386 ... 1575