Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1378 1379 [1380] 1381 1382 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2376557 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #20685 on: September 24, 2018, 10:32:48 pm »

speaking of stupid run scenes, I died one when my AI partner somehow couldn't keep up
This is why modern games make your AI partners into invincible, teleporting window dressing...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20686 on: September 24, 2018, 11:59:05 pm »

speaking of stupid run scenes, I died one when my AI partner somehow couldn't keep up
This is why modern games make your AI partners into invincible, teleporting window dressing...
I'm making at least one assumption when I say this (and the things after it), but I think this is some misguided attempt at making the games seem less fake. One way to make AI more believable/realistic-seeming is to allow it to make errors or to give it flaws to exploit somehow, or to give it abilities (and limitations) similar to the player's.

However, given that this is a co-op game of sorts (even though the second player would only really contribute a human brain controlling the second gun, inventory, and body), such flaws and error-making abilities are probably not going to be as appreciated as in a game where the AI competes against the player, like in a fighting game or a shooter.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20687 on: September 25, 2018, 08:40:35 am »

Hoo bud I'm still salty about this one.

Got kicked to the floor by a Sam Fisher lookalike, and when my AI teammates came over to help me up, they refused to kill said lookalike.

Who kicked them to the floor.

One by one.

Until we were all there being stomped on by him.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20688 on: September 25, 2018, 10:25:57 am »

Not so much die than being played by the system... I was playing x rebirth for a few hours, eventually my game locked up, not long after saving so no big deal. Force close the game by crashing steam... yeah had to go nuclear as the game wasnt listed on task manager yet steam was saying running.

Cue sleep, wake up, do my thing and fire up the game... steam overwrite my save with what i had in cloud... few hour lost...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20689 on: September 25, 2018, 12:48:02 pm »

Started the game. Jumped off the balcony.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20690 on: September 25, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »

Misty: "Welcome to my water gym, a swimming pool! My strategy is water pokemon! I sure hope you didn't get any grass types in Viridian forest..."

* Lapras  used ice beam!
* Staryu  used ice beam!
* Houndour  got owned!
* Tangela  got super owned!
* Polywhirl  got hypnosis off, then got owned a few turns later!
Misty >:3

Pokemon Crystal Clear (romhack, started in Kanto)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20691 on: September 25, 2018, 03:15:12 pm »

As stated over in the Owns thread, I killed off Pyrrhus of Epirus by diplomatic/military trickery, then (not told there) I own my way through the massive Macedonian garrison at Corinth, and killed it off in a battle where I was outnumbered 2-to-1, yet I lost only half my force and killed all but a few hundred enemies. I saved, content with my awesome progress and sure that I was well on the way to a strong start as the Greek alliance.

The next day I try to load....and both saves of the game are corrupted and I can't recover them. RIP me.

EBII, a mod for M2:TW
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #20692 on: September 25, 2018, 03:17:34 pm »

Shit man Geralt can jump now?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20693 on: September 25, 2018, 03:39:21 pm »

I, too, jumped off that balcony.

Many valiant warriors have met their untimely deaths at the bottom of that balcony. Gods rest their soul(s).
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20694 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:09 pm »

I was a pAI companion of a miner. I was using my holoform to distract monsters, scout ahead for ruins, tank hits, etc. I was distracting 3 goliaths near a necropolis tendril, and my mining partner destroyed the tendril while I was in card form (due to being beaten up by the goliaths), making me fall down into the chasm.

Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20695 on: September 26, 2018, 02:41:56 am »

Shit man Geralt can jump now?
He can, and he's frighteningly good at it as well; oftentimes catching an upward draft and floating higher in order to land on top of a ledge. He's so proficient at jumping, he can even do it while dead...

Seriously, the Geralt Death-Sproink is amazing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20696 on: September 29, 2018, 04:23:08 am »

If it helps, that segment is the only part of the game(assuming it's the original) where you can shoot from first-person. Also, there should be two rations in the area before you get on the jeep.

EDIT: Tried to drink some red tea to cool off while digging some clay. Then the game crashed.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 05:26:34 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20697 on: September 29, 2018, 05:46:03 am »

Tea in survival games is kind of ruined for me after playing the trial version of NEOscavenger, wherein the botanically-inclined could take some scavenged twigs and bark and brew a tasty antiseptic from them.

That game had some interesting deaths at times. Like gulping down a fifth of whiskey and having all the blood in your body explode out through your skin, resulting in death from hypovolemic shock.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #20698 on: September 29, 2018, 03:45:41 pm »

wat

Meanwhile:

Played the game.

Since it's a roguelike, trial and error is part of the gameplay.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20699 on: September 30, 2018, 11:02:50 pm »

Fell in a hole in front of a giant robot, then fell in it again because I mistimed a jump, then again when a nightmare shot me while jumping over it, then just fatfingered my way into it again.

Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 1378 1379 [1380] 1381 1382 ... 1575