Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1271 1272 [1273] 1274 1275 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377307 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #19080 on: April 19, 2017, 09:19:16 am »

Would you recommend that game?
Boring Man? Yes. It's free and you can fight gun users with a boomerang.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19081 on: April 19, 2017, 01:31:42 pm »

I start at the bottom right glow, and am "supposed" to go for the red pyramid at the top.  (There's a clever, much easier path, but I was spoiled on it so I'm not taking it).
Purple squares are completely impassible.  Units on yellow squares are invincible.  That's pretty much it...  I think blue disallows ranged attacks, but that doesn't matter with the top of the level cut off.  Basically they put squares juuuust right so that you have to traverse clockwise to pretty much point blank range.

Sooo, this being Disgaea (2), I spent an embarassing amount of time trying to plot a serious of "jumps" that would let me destroy the red pyramid on the first turn.  (Units can throw each other, it's a little complicated).  Basically the answer was "no", though it came pretty close.  So I did that, getting my gun-princess within a turn of taking out the red pyramid.

Few problems...
Taking out the pyramid would basically nuke all my guys.  Even worse than the enemy, actually.  But at least the enemy would no longer be invincible, and I am quite overlevelled
W-woah, the guy at the center just one-shot one of my casters.  Impressive range
oh no the other monsters move
also I'm not actually overlevelled, apparently

Gun-princess was bodyblocked from the objective.  My main character, a monk, got bodyblocked into a "no melee" square because I'm dumb and had already lost.  Princess couldn't even retreat.

Disgaea 2.

(It's fiiiiine, I'll just have to lure them off now that I know they move.  Also watch the dang "no melee/ranged" squares.  And keep my squishies...  basically at the start of the map, because that guy in the center has range, and AFAIK will *not* leave his invincibility)
((And this is why you don't piss off the arena master.  He'll allow your opponents preparation time))

And suddenly I realize that was not a unique puzzle in Undertale.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19082 on: April 19, 2017, 04:09:15 pm »

Heh, I saw the similarity too.  The specific mechanics/obstacles are very different, and this one also happens to be a tactics game on top, but they sure look similar. 

I just wish it let me zoom out enough to get the whole screen.  The part I puzzled over the most was getting as close as possible with 8 orthogonal moves, none of which could cross the purple.  The moves would also be limited at 5 spaces (less in practice, but I could hire a bunch of fighters) and start at the closest dark blue square (due to the teal square, for complicated reasons).

While clearing the tiles in turn 1 or 2 would feel awesome, it actually might kill off most of my team and leave the rest vulnerable.  Looks like the better plan is to lure enemies off the yellow squares, kill them near the start, then have a very fast character (either the frog who can fly over enemy squares, or the mute tv anchor totally-not-an-angel who gets absurd speed after shooting someone).

This is an odd game.
In fact, not really a death, but 9 of my party were found guilty of a crime none of them committed.
This is a good thing in the netherworld, but still.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=909041562

Disgaea 2
Edit:  OH, ironically, the crime was "vandalizing geo-tiles"
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:11:29 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19083 on: April 19, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »

Disgaea2 is still my favorite disgaea from what ones I played.  Though I wish there were fewer maps that relied on super geo tile gimmicks like that one shown.  I much prefer the maps with some light geo tile effects scattered around like the +50% stats even the odd clone or invuln tile as long as it's not a massive chunk of the map. 

Instead of the series' whole love of maps that are just geotile clusterfuck that so severely alters the gameplay that it might as well be a different game every few maps. 

It's why I spend entirely to much time in the games playing item worlds.  Yea the random maps have potential for geotile clusterfuck, but the effects are more often the weaker less game breaking effects.  And if you do come across something absurd you can just throw to the exit and bypass.

EDIT: .........Zam.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:28:50 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19084 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:22 pm »

I remember playing Disgaea "Absence of Justice", whichever entry in the series that was, and actually very much enjoying it.
Then, more recently, I grabbed a free demo of a new Disgaea game, excitedly expecting it to also be good, only to be bitterly disappointed. The self aware, possibly satirical, tongue-in-cheek humour of the earlier game had been replaced by truly awful dialogue which seemed to take itself entirely seriously. It was anime-level bad, whereas Absence of Justice seemed more like it was parodying such things. Perhaps the gameplay itself was still as good as I remembered, but I wasn't about to sift through the gigantic pile of reeking excrement that was the "rest of the game" to check.
Irredeemable. Unplayable. Uninstalled. :(   

Edit: To keep this on-topic for the new page, I just rolled a pair of fairly useless characters who weren't doing so well, so I decided to take a risk and have them rob an explosives salesman. It... didn't end so well. One died, the other was badly injured. The greatsword salesman who was accompanying them also copped some shrapnel.

On the road after that, the sword-seller and the surviving... uh... survivor argued bitterly about what had happened, even after an unwitting new person had the misfortune to hitch a ride from the group. I'm not sure why the greatsword guy didn't just leave... perhaps it was professionalism.

Anyway, the original survivor died shortly after that when a building they were looting was swarmed by the undead, and then that night the sword merchant stole all the food and left, leaving poor Nickolas (yes, that's how he spells it) all alone with low supplies. Oh well, he probably has a better chance of surviving without those dinks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:43:28 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19085 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:37 pm »

Direct dive into a bug infested planet. Hard as hell mission. Captain calls in an APC for support, I call in a multi-missile launcher to deal with the big bugs, and the ensign starts playing with his fancy new energy shotgun near the back wall. APC drops. Ensign turns to look at it while still shooting, ends up nailing me in the back with a fully charged blast. I go down in a heap, but the ensign runs off to get in the fancy APC. Somehow the ensign ends up in the driver's seat while the captain is giving me an invigorating butt-pat. Ensign tries to move the APC closer so we can both jump in after the captain gets me up.

Ensign runs over the captain, kills him instantly and finishes me off. Ensign throws the APC into drive just too late, then tries to jump out in order to save the hamburger that's left of us. Problem is that the APC is still moving forward. Bastard somehow manages to run himself over.

21 seconds into the mission. No enemy contacts. Three dead drop marines.

I think the goddamn bugs got to the ensign.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19086 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure that ensign qualifies for the twit of the year award.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19087 on: April 19, 2017, 08:34:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure that ensign qualifies for the twit of the year award.

Considering that we had to waive the 'insult the waiter' portion of the competition because the bugs ate all the damn waiters, yeah.  Helldivers feels amazing when you get in a squad of semi-competent people (Ultra-competent still makes me feel a wee bit inferior), but it's a game that can be absolutely killed by a single bad squaddie. On one mission I had 7 deaths, SEVEN, all from a guy who was playing with his neuro-toxic chem thrower and kept getting me in the edges his arc.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19088 on: April 19, 2017, 08:56:06 pm »

Blew myself up with my own Predator drone, all while the overwatch was cheering about multiple KIAs from the missile strike.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19089 on: April 19, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »

I was referencing a Monty Python sketch where someone managed to run himself over with his own car, but OK D. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19090 on: April 19, 2017, 09:25:29 pm »

Shit, you're right, I forgot that part. My bad. XD

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19091 on: April 19, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »

C'mon SC, you know me, my knowledge of Monty Python Sketches is borderline encyclopedic.

I died in Dark Souls. In the undead asylum. I am filled with shame.

DSIII has murdered my timing.
---

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19092 on: April 19, 2017, 11:26:25 pm »

Eight Consecutive Fucking Rolls III is really different from the other two, yeah. Don't give up, skeleton!
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19093 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:50 pm »

38 Consecutive Fucking Rolls III is really different from the other two, yeah. Don't give up, skeleton!

FTFY

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19094 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:35 pm »

exaggeration does not properly convey the irritation i hold for so many rolls being possible in a row
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 1271 1272 [1273] 1274 1275 ... 1575