Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373149 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17625 on: July 12, 2016, 09:14:02 am »

I just lost a Phoenix Hawk to a Locust in a single turn. All its weapons hit. All in the head. RIP Mr. Mechwarrior.
But I won the battle and could salvage a crab, my employer got two damaged Locusts out of it. It was a strange battle, pitch black, and mostly green pilots, I think one of my four was regular, as was the one my employer sent.
My Lance consistet of 2 Wasps (one was out of the fight because it had to do some recon work, the whole point of the battle), Phoenix Hawk, Panther and the Spider from the employer. Enemies were two Locusts, Crab and Vulcan. All basic variants, as it is 3029.
We mostly just ignored the Vulcan, which was jumping around, making it almost impossible to hit in these conditions, but it couldn't shoot very well because of this either. We focused on the non-jumpers, and could mostly get into their backs by jumping ourselves, though we often just didn't move to have at least a decent to hit chance. We also had to be quick, because at turn 6 a reinforced medium mixed lance arrived.

MekHQ, Against the Bot

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17626 on: July 12, 2016, 09:53:46 pm »

I had just had my most successful battle yet. Roughly equal forces with 51 casualties on my side and 650-something on theirs. I had lured their forces into an advantageous position and surrounded them with my infantry, having the cavalry fight off any and all reinforcements.

This heroic victory apparently scared the living shit out of the British and three other nations, because they declared war on me and proceeded to absolutely steamroll my forces.

Empire: Total War

I think that, on the whole, Empire gave me the most impressive strategic victories and the tale of how 44 Persian mortarmen somehow inflicted over 1000 casualties on a force of 4000 angry Indians and lived to tell it. It's also the only TW game where I had time to engage in strategic retreats.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: July 13, 2016, 02:42:37 am »

I was fighting Seltas, a big insect thing which apparently exists solely to show me how awful I am at Monster Hunter.

In the middle of our battle, he just fucked off and left, and I hadn't thought to bring any paintballs. Then I wasted a bunch of potions looking for him again, and then he killed me for real.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: July 13, 2016, 08:45:40 am »

Whenever I try to move a little quickly so I can sneak up for a KO on a guard, I always wind up getting spotted when the guard turns around to hear the footsteps.

I think I'll just put bullets in everyone...

Splinter Cell: Stealth Action Redefined Made too difficult to be fun

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17629 on: July 13, 2016, 09:43:39 am »

Apparently it's NOT a good idea to go to a goblin/orc/slime/troll/zombie/ogre/rat/mummy/basilisk/giant bat/giant spider infested dungeon with a single warrior. huh.

Pirates of The Western Sea
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17630 on: July 13, 2016, 10:42:49 am »

Things that kill me in Sen's Fortress:

☐ Serpentfolk
☐ Traps
☐ Falling
☑ Enemy weapons clipping straight through walls

Dark Souls.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17631 on: July 13, 2016, 11:11:05 am »

You are a liar. You are a liar or a god.
(or replaying SF)
Black lives matter.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17632 on: July 13, 2016, 11:36:14 am »

You are a liar. You are a liar or a god.
(or replaying SF)

Mostly, I'm pretty good at baiting the snakes into traps, stunlocking the shooters with headshots (or dodging the really telegraphed shots), and being careful. Unfortunately, none of those things save me when I dodge back down a corridor only to be smashed by a swing through the wall.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: July 13, 2016, 12:56:20 pm »

I mostly meant it's very, very hard to avoid dying from everything if it's your first run through and you don't have a lot of foreknowledge.
Black lives matter.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17634 on: July 13, 2016, 01:59:12 pm »

I was fighting Seltas, a big insect thing which apparently exists solely to show me how awful I am at Monster Hunter.

In the middle of our battle, he just fucked off and left, and I hadn't thought to bring any paintballs. Then I wasted a bunch of potions looking for him again, and then he killed me for real.

Ahh, Seltas. His "sneeze" attack (where he swings his mandibles and it sounds kind of like a sneeze) still catches me off guard when I fight him.

If you're having trouble with the game in general, the real tricks are: #1, be patient, and #2, roll out of EVERY attack.

Seriously, though. Monster Hunter isn't like most action games where you jam the attack button until you're about to be hit and then hit the counter/dodge button. You need to pick your opportunities to strike, attack fast and hard, then get the heck out of there, or you WILL be punished.

Side-rolling out of attacks with B usually shortens the amount of time it takes to recover from the attack animations, and gets you out of the way, so you should be doing that often.

It's not an easy game to learn, but it is very rewarding. I hope you stick with it.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17635 on: July 13, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

Before today, I had never used a pump in Dwarf fortress. I knew that they were useful in dealing with aquifers, among other things, but I didn't understand how they worked, and while I knew that I could probably figure it out on my own if I messed with them a bit, I didn't feel like doing that. However, yesterday, for the first time in my 4+ years of experience with Dwarf Fortress, I attempted to use pumps.

The plan was pretty simple. I would attempt to deal with an aquifer using a popular method involving pumping the water out of a staircase as the aquifer filled it up, keeping the water levels shallow enough for workers to smooth the walls or build their own, negating the generation of water completely. After a good 10 minutes of trying to figure out how to correctly place a screw pump, I figured out that they could pump water from spaces under the tile on the "receiving" end. I dug a channel out the side of the hill I was digging into through which the pumped water could escape, and braced myself.

As I pressed enter, the pump operating dwarf eagerly began to pump water out of the hill and into the woods. At that precise moment, time stood still, and I was euphoric. Not because of the phony blood god's blessing, but because I was enlightened by my own intelligence. As time resumed, my euphoria ceased to be as a roaring tsunami of fluid burst out of the hill. While I attempted to convince my dwarves to smooth the walls in the staircase or do something, anything at all, which would give me an opportunity to turn this death machine off, I figured out that I was doing it wrong. A tidal wave covered the entire forest, soon enveloping most of the poor dwarves and the wagon they rode in on.

Dwarf Fortress.

I'm kind of surprised that the FPS remained at its cap of 100 throughout the entire ordeal despite the tsunami which was probably enveloping a quarter of the map's surface, while when attempting to channel a tiny amount of water out of a river a long time ago dropped my framerate to near-unplayable levels. I'm not sure if it's the upgrade I've given my computer since then, DF's new 64-bitness, or both.

Ahh, Seltas. His "sneeze" attack (where he swings his mandibles and it sounds kind of like a sneeze) still catches me off guard when I fight him.

If you're having trouble with the game in general, the real tricks are: #1, be patient, and #2, roll out of EVERY attack.

Seriously, though. Monster Hunter isn't like most action games where you jam the attack button until you're about to be hit and then hit the counter/dodge button. You need to pick your opportunities to strike, attack fast and hard, then get the heck out of there, or you WILL be punished.

Side-rolling out of attacks with B usually shortens the amount of time it takes to recover from the attack animations, and gets you out of the way, so you should be doing that often.

It's not an easy game to learn, but it is very rewarding. I hope you stick with it.
All of this, along with my usual advice of trying different weapons. Don't dismiss any weapon before you've tried it, they're all amazing in different ways. A few weeks ago I thought bowguns were shitty, now playing gunner is full-time job.

As a seperate word of encouragement (?) Monster Hunter is a game which you can really, really get good at with practice. There are so many techniques, items, skills, weapons and strategies available for anyone to use, and once you find ones you like and get better at using them you can seriously kick some ass. Pretty much any monster you can face will eventually become super easy because of how you can basically indefinitely improve as a player.

Also, since you're just now facing the Seltas, I'm assuming you probably are still using a basic armor. Spend a lot of time thinking carefully about the skills offered by the different armors and which ones will help you the most. Armor skills are a super important part of how you play the game.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:51:11 pm by IronTomato »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: July 13, 2016, 04:36:56 pm »

I didn't even realize the game had skills. I've bought some armor but not seen much besides the stats and resistances.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17637 on: July 13, 2016, 05:05:42 pm »

Whenever I try to move a little quickly so I can sneak up for a KO on a guard, I always wind up getting spotted when the guard turns around to hear the footsteps.

I think I'll just put bullets in everyone...

Splinter Cell: Stealth Action Redefined Made too difficult to be fun

Is that the original? Bulleting everyone is not going to work(and there's a couple of missions were it's instant "Fisher, the mission is OVER!" from Lambert). Try crouch walking. If you have some form of analog control, then move slowly as well. It's not a game for the impatient. Also, if your stealth meter is all the way down, you're pretty much invisible even though you have that rather bright light on your back.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17638 on: July 14, 2016, 11:05:28 am »

I didn't even realize the game had skills. I've bought some armor but not seen much besides the stats and resistances.
Yeah, that happens to a lot of people. The game does mention them, but it does so in a way that's really easy to miss and also barely explains them. I remember starting out with MH3U and using a mixed armor set with no skills because I didn't know skills existed. I only found out near the beginning of MH4U because some guy on multiplayer asked me why I was using a mixed set, and then told me about armor skills after figuring out I had no idea what they were.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: July 14, 2016, 06:57:10 pm »

Flandre Scarlet, despite being the younger sister, is way way more robust. At least her being immune to bombs means I have no remorse dunking Patchouli+ with relentless Master Sparking.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 1174 1175 [1176] 1177 1178 ... 1575