Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2372868 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17490 on: June 25, 2016, 05:46:03 pm »

This mod reworks units to be more accurate lore-wise. Case in point: I had about 30-40 Guardsmen battling a single Chaos Raptor Marine... and losing. Finally killed him when I brought a tier-I tank up.

Managed to hold on to a shaky defensive line up until I got a Baneblade out. At the same time, before the Baneblade could move up, the Alpha Legion pushed us back to another fallback line with Noise Marines and Plague Marines, then sent some kind of stealth unit(Renegades I think) to harass before going all out. Gave up and ragequit when the hundred or so Guardsmen were wiped out in about 5 seconds from a wave of Warp sorceries and the Baneblade was swarmed with Chaos Marines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: June 25, 2016, 05:54:53 pm »

Interesting heh, I've wanted to give Ultimate Apocalypse a go for a while.  The Hunt Begins is just a tagline, right, not a submod?
Anyway, as a long-time novice DoW SP player, I always thought it was funny my tactical space marines got pwned *hard* by IG grenade launchers.  Yeah it took a while, but they seemed largely stunlocked!  That always seemed a little weird.

SPaZ 2 didn't run smoothly on my laptop, so I reinstalled SPaZ 1.  Everything was pretty gravy until I breached the inner sectors - omgwtfbbq
I *knew* what to expect, but I still came as close to losing as is possible in that game.  Basic ship, no resources left, went to a bounty hunter bar to cry into booze and scrounge rez in the arena.

Space Pirates And Zombies
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: June 25, 2016, 06:14:00 pm »

The Hunt Begins is just a tagline, right, not a submod?
Tagline, I think. Here's the page.

EDIT: Latest death, joined a warband taking sites all across the map. Got to O'bart's farm, just outside the Ismir city. After taking the farm, one guy kept pelting us with arrows. Took me a couple dozen shots at long range to finally discover he was in the safe zone - immune to player attack but not prevented from causing damage to us. Eventually we send one of our guys to challenge him one-on-one. I didn't watch the whole fight, but apparently he lost. The rest of the group disbanded one-by-one(or died, I really don't know). As I was beating a hasty retreat through the grass, I nearly walked right into two more Ismir players. "Hasty retreat" became "full one-man rout". Unfortunately, several NPC enemies joined the chase, and I got pinned down and taken out. They looted some stuff from me, but I don't know what(the game doesn't tell you, just that they took something) besides my Servant's Short Sword +2 that I made myself - my primary melee weapon. Ouch, but right before the duel, one of the group gave me a nifty helmet and 2H sword.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:59:10 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: June 25, 2016, 09:28:10 pm »

"Hrr... goodnight, Gracie."
*long credits roll of 60s songs, including a nice cowboy tune*

Yippee-kai-yay indeed, you beautiful moron.

XCOM:  The Bureau.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:30:34 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: June 25, 2016, 10:50:51 pm »

Again, all by my lonesome, I have to ambush a convoy of trucks, protected by a BMP and I believe a T72. The landmines I'm given hardly scratch the BMP, and I can forget about damaging that T72 with anything other than a once-in-a-lifetime direct hit on the rear armor.

I thought ARMA was all about subverting this sort of action movie one-man army thing. The mechanics certainly don't help, given that I'm totally stationary for several seconds to reload my RPG while an entire platoon piles out of the trucks to perforate my head.

ARMA: Combat Operations.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17495 on: June 26, 2016, 12:29:52 am »

ARMA 2's campaigns aren't much better, unfortunately.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: June 26, 2016, 01:10:09 am »

I know, I bought that game first. :(
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: June 26, 2016, 02:38:58 am »

I'm convinced that no one except Shack Tac's members have ever had fun in ARMA.  Like even the DayZ crowd, they thought they were having fun but they were actually miserable.

For my death, I was playing as an illusion hero, Naga Siren, I was so dilligent about sweeping for Techies' mines that he literally stopped placing them.  He only used the remote detonator ones, and even those he barely placed.  He had essentially 0 game impact, except when we tried to push towers and he blew us all up.  The death is that in all other respects, our team got utterly trounced, and my team decided to blame me, cause they're 1K scrubs and I was the only support.  This culminated in, after me ulting, PA typing "WTF was that song" and "you shouldn't have picked support naga" at the same time our CK used his mic to thank me for saving his life.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: June 26, 2016, 03:30:08 am »

I really liked Operation Flashpoint. ARMA and even ARMA 2 are the same damn game as OFP. The single player campaigns are just balanced very poorly, and have more of a tacticool "Murrica FUCK YEAH" vibe in their presentation.

In OFP, you lose your entire squad, get shot down in enemy territory, flee on foot through a forest while evading helicopters and patrolling APCs, conduct guerilla warfare as a civilian with barely any official assistance, and a whole lot of other missions and plot developments play up the war as a hellish tragedy that affects civilians most of all.

ARMA, on the other hand, bhas very little of that characterization. ARMA 1, from the little I played, has almost no characters at all besides the narrator, whose name I have already forgotten. The bitter retreat from a terrifyingly large force, so played for drama in OFP, takes up maybe ten seconds of a silhouetted slideshow in this game.

And in ARMA 2, you come upon evidence of civilian slaughter, torture and even rape in the first mission. The tone of these scenes is "Oh. We'll get those bastatds. I mean, I guess." Your squad size is down to four highly-specialized units, from potentially commanding multiple teams of units in OFP. In addition to taticool door-breaching scenes (involving flashbangs that your soldiers don't even have), rock music replacing the orchestral score, and the fact that the US is arriving fully prepared, the tone of the story is more along the lines of a Tom Clancy game than OFP, which has been compared to Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17499 on: June 26, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »

Mobbed by an angry pack of mongrel dogs, led by a legendary alpha male.

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17500 on: June 26, 2016, 06:03:27 pm »

Worked at the Grestin border check point for 5 days before my whole family died of cold and hunger. Glory to Arstotzka.

Communism pays jack-shit for work.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: June 26, 2016, 06:33:18 pm »

Tip: pay for heat one day, pay for food the next, and keep alternating like that. Makes your life much easier.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: June 26, 2016, 09:09:11 pm »

Tip: pay for heat one day, pay for food the next, and keep alternating like that. Makes your life much easier.
Figured that out, yeah. That was my first run and I was pretty slow at checking people, so I earned less money per day. Barely made enough to pay for rent each day that run. Things are going better in the next run.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: June 26, 2016, 09:12:52 pm »

A demon stole my hat.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: June 26, 2016, 09:15:45 pm »

A demon stole my hat.

That made me chuckle for some reason. Probably due the the simplicity of it.
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 1575