Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373312 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #17415 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:13 pm »

im playing *venice*. It's not like I can just lose a few of my smaller cities and take them back later.

behind in military tech in favor of other things. Two composite bowmen and a few spearmen scattered around the map looking for citystates against a sizeable arm of longswordsmen. I've got two rather shitty CS puppets and a third merchant on his way.

i just gave up. quit without saving. Didn't feel like things were going very well anyway, even on warlord... Venice isn't the civ for me. At least not yet.

guess i probably should've built more units when Pocatello told me Poland was plotting against me. and i probably shouldn't have tried to spread my religion to poland in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:23:49 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17416 on: June 13, 2016, 05:56:16 pm »

Doing a test run for a contest entry. The main ship survived disabling the station's outer defenses, but the drone sent into the base to disable the power was far too large. While I did hit most of the targets(reactor and batteries), I had to devastate most of the inside to do it(points are docked for excessive damage). Worse, I gave up because I couldn't find the last battery, and I ended up smashing the drone's grinder into a wall and destroying it. When I flew in there in person to examine the drone, I found the battery... in the room right next to where the drone was parked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17417 on: June 13, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »

Inexplicable framerate drops, going from a (usually rock-solid) 60 all the way down to 40 during some waves. I suspect it's GOG Galaxy's fault, as that's the only thing that I've installed since the last time I played Touhou.

TH10: Mountain of Faith.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:32:27 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17418 on: June 13, 2016, 11:37:49 pm »

Playing Salt and Sanctuary.  Online, using some beta nvidia thing that lets my controller input be sent to a friend's computer and his screen be sent to mine.

We are doing some platforming, he's being lazy and just opening the menu to teleport to me whenever I land on the next platform.  Because opening the menu teleports you to your buddy.

I miss a jump.  I hit the equipment key so I can teleport to him and back to safety.
My buddy not checking to make sure I made the jump teleports to me first.  I teleport to him a nanosecond after.  Not a significant improvement on my situation.

And we both splatter against the ground with a meaty thud and we both find ourselves back at the bonfire.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17419 on: June 14, 2016, 04:50:19 am »

How nice of Polito to tell me about the security cameras after I blundered into one and had 5+ hybrids on my tail, with nothing but a wrench to defend myself. The bangin' techno soundtrack, as well as the email that I was trying to listen to, didn't help much either.

System Shock 2.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17420 on: June 14, 2016, 01:08:36 pm »

Took me a little bit to stop being pretty bad at dodging clubs. Also to interpret the game's instructions in terms of a mouse and keyboard. I've died less than five times so far though, which I'm pretty happy with given the progress I've made and how little experience I have with this genre.

Dark Souls.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #17421 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »

How nice of Polito to tell me about the security cameras after I blundered into one and had 5+ hybrids on my tail, with nothing but a wrench to defend myself. The bangin' techno soundtrack, as well as the email that I was trying to listen to, didn't help much either.

System Shock 2.

So you don't know to look for these things beforehand?

They have a freaking light at the front! Casual! :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17422 on: June 14, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »

I've never played the Shock games so I didn't know security cameras were going to be that incredibly major.

I started a whole new game, because I'm discovering that I would much rather start with hacking than weapons proficiency in this game.

In the final room of the tutorial area, you're on a catwalk sort of thing over a tiny, useless pit. Thinking I might discover a cute easter egg or even some sort of hidden fourth option a la Quake 1, I jumped over the railing and into the pit.

Nope. There's nothing. Not a single thing. No decorations, no audiolog or email, no acknowledgment. Just a small grey pit. With no way back up.

System Shock 2.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17423 on: June 14, 2016, 10:49:57 pm »

Did you make a quicksave?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17424 on: June 14, 2016, 11:01:14 pm »

It's the "tutorial" area, it takes like a minute if you've already done it once.

It's kinda neat actually.  The actual tutorials are entirely optional.  You just have to choose some corridors to determine your character's 3-4 years of military training, which determine your starting stats.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #17425 on: June 15, 2016, 03:58:08 am »

Does this game have a way to thrust? For instance, if I want to just take a quick step forward and shiv 'em instead of winding up and taking a huge swing? It would make a couple of spots much easier. I've gone down a few times to bouncing my sword off the walls.

Dark Souls.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17426 on: June 15, 2016, 04:06:00 am »

Does this game have a way to thrust? For instance, if I want to just take a quick step forward and shiv 'em instead of winding up and taking a huge swing? It would make a couple of spots much easier. I've gone down a few times to bouncing my sword off the walls.

Dark Souls.

Get a rapier? Maybe a shield as well. (Can thrust while shield is up)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17427 on: June 15, 2016, 04:18:40 am »

Dark Souls.
That depends on what weapon you're using. A lot of straight swords have a thrust attack if you backstep and then immediately attack, if memory serves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17428 on: June 15, 2016, 04:52:16 am »

Dark Souls.
That depends on what weapon you're using. A lot of straight swords have a thrust attack if you backstep and then immediately attack, if memory serves.

There's an entire class of weapons that have very fencing style attacks like the Estoc and the Rapier. I like the Estoc best, personally. Its attacks are almost entirely thrusts (with the exception of its kick, which is replaced by a short jump backwards while lightly slashing R-L). They also run off Dexterity to scale instead of Strength.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17429 on: June 15, 2016, 05:07:24 am »

Yeah. One of the big things about Dark Souls is finding a weapon whose movesets appeal to you Halberd for life. It doesn't matter how strong a weapon is if you can't use it effectively after all. As such it's best to play around with a couple weapons before committing to just one. Once you find one which you like to use you can then spend the souls and materials upgrading it.
Pages: 1 ... 1160 1161 [1162] 1163 1164 ... 1575