Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2370845 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #16020 on: December 14, 2015, 04:08:20 pm »

Head into the Galerria Deeps for some pearls and moss.  Find the Lord of the Flowsands instead.  It has two main attacks: the first smacks every unit I have on the field for around 50 damage.  The second is an attack that drags a single unit across half the map and deals upwards of 100 damage, all of which he absorbs to restore its own health.  I was maybe able to do that much damage in a single turn, and the battle rules restricted me from using my strongest caster unless I wanted to forfeit my revives and the post-battle bonus.  Needless to say, the sands ran red. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:10:35 pm by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:48 pm »

The Republic's strength is their vehicles. The clones' individual infantry can't really go toe-to-toe with their CIS counterparts. The Jet Trooper can't match the Droideka for shit and the Clone Trooper is just a standard rifle guy, whereas the Super Battle Droid has a rifle AND an infinite shotgun AND a rocket AND extra health!

In exchange the Republic has the best vehicles in the game, including the Jedi Starfighter, their hovertank and their walker, all of which have the best weapons in both damage and functionality. There's one map where this breaks down though.

Yavin 4: Temple. The Republic's rather lame units, versus the droids. And the droids get tanks, while the clones do not.

The droid tanks quickly put us 60 points behind, so I just quit before I lost.

SW Battlefront.

Odd. I can't remember if it's the first or second SW:BF(the disc of the first one is still stuck in my dead PS2, not sure what it'll take to get it out), but I remember Jet Trooper's have EMP launchers that can take out a Droideka's shields in a direct hit(with a slight amount of extra damage), and a rapid-fire pistol that can finish them off. I also felt the Republic's vehicle's were weaker than the Confederacy's. Maybe the Republic tank can sweep infantry with it's turret gun, but you need good aim to get full damage on an enemy tank, especially if the tank is moving.

But yeah, Temple can be a brutal map if you're on the wrong side.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: December 15, 2015, 02:05:41 am »

The Republic's strength is their vehicles. The clones' individual infantry can't really go toe-to-toe with their CIS counterparts. The Jet Trooper can't match the Droideka for shit and the Clone Trooper is just a standard rifle guy, whereas the Super Battle Droid has a rifle AND an infinite shotgun AND a rocket AND extra health!

In exchange the Republic has the best vehicles in the game, including the Jedi Starfighter, their hovertank and their walker, all of which have the best weapons in both damage and functionality. There's one map where this breaks down though.

Yavin 4: Temple. The Republic's rather lame units, versus the droids. And the droids get tanks, while the clones do not.

The droid tanks quickly put us 60 points behind, so I just quit before I lost.

SW Battlefront.

Odd. I can't remember if it's the first or second SW:BF(the disc of the first one is still stuck in my dead PS2, not sure what it'll take to get it out), but I remember Jet Trooper's have EMP launchers that can take out a Droideka's shields in a direct hit(with a slight amount of extra damage), and a rapid-fire pistol that can finish them off. I also felt the Republic's vehicle's were weaker than the Confederacy's. Maybe the Republic tank can sweep infantry with it's turret gun, but you need good aim to get full damage on an enemy tank, especially if the tank is moving.

But yeah, Temple can be a brutal map if you're on the wrong side.

I'm playing on Normal difficulty. Two direct hits take away most of a Droideka's shields, but then it takes about ten years to reload while the Droideka has time to escape or blast your ass to oblivion.

There were some exclusive maps for the Xbox version of Battlefront 2, does anybody know how one would get those on PC?

Well, this is probably the most extreme death I've ever experienced, and probably ever will.

After all of the hacks and workarounds I've done to fix Planescape: Torment to work on my computer... it now won't run at all. I haven't touched it since the last time I played; now it simply pops up an error about a failed assertion. It will run in administrator mode, however there's another problem: the game appears to have eaten all my save files. They're all gone, I can't find a "Saves" folder in the program directory or anything.

gg no re lady of pain

Planescape: Torment.

Updated my journal: I've recovered the save files from the cold grasp of oblivion, and fiddled the compatibility settings so that it works without being in admin mode now. That was really scary though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 08:32:14 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16023 on: December 15, 2015, 10:42:41 am »

Wow congrats on getting those back, that would be *awful*.  I really need to play the game... I got spoiled on it years ago but managed to forget the twist.  But what if I get spoiled again!

Last death:  I was approaching a camp from above, moving to the edge of a rocky outcrop. The Gunner below instantly spun and launched a mininuke up and into my face, shouting "WHO'S THERE".  Sigh...

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: December 15, 2015, 12:56:13 pm »

Yeah. The GOG release stores save games in the AppData directory on Windows machines, and for some reason my game stopped reading it from there; I had to copy my save games into a Saves subfolder in the game directory, which is where the game originally kept them.

The game works fine as of a few hours ago when I last played it; however, I now get prompts to swap out discs between area transitions. They disappear after a second and the game keeps loading, but it's still alarming.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: December 15, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »

Well... those Bell Gargoyles. Damn.

At least I figured out a way to get the 18k souls I had *ahem* saved up to a bonfire without actually finishing the fight.

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: December 15, 2015, 06:12:53 pm »

I just finished an XCOM campaign on Normal without problems, so I decided to start a Classic one, even though I haven't played it in a while.
Still, the first two mission actually end up being quite easier than I feared, as I lose no soldiers (except for a gravely wounded Assault) and I even get the "Flight of the Valkyries" Achievement (win a UFO mission with an all-female squad) without even noticing. Somehow I didn't already get that.

Then, I get a call for an alien abduction; the map is a large road with lots of vehicles as cover, so I move everyone behind cars as I spot the first aliens, two Sectoids. I leave a rookie behind half cover as "bait" while I move my Assault around a truck for a dash the next turn.
Then the alien moves away from his position, runs through my two Overwatch and fires at the Assault.
Critical, instant death.
The second alien shoots at my other soldiers, missing them. I move them behind cover to lure the aliens... an then my sniper gets caught in an explosion and dies. Apparently the second shot hit the cover, and since it was made of two wrecked cars, I didn't spot the fire.
My rookie and my Support attempt to do something, but both them and the aliens are locked in a firefight behind full cover, with about 30% hit chance each time.
Then, the first alien gets another lucky shot on my support.
Critical, instant death. Again.
My rookie tries to run for the evac zone and gets shot by the other alien in Overwatch.

So, after two easy mission, I get a Total Party Kill that takes out basically every good soldier in my team. And all of that thanks to two basic and "weak" aliens.

The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:14 pm »

the map is a large road with lots of vehicles as cover
On behalf of everyone who has played XCOM: fuck that map.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: December 15, 2015, 07:07:10 pm »

The worst one is the small harbour map though. The one with the one building in the middle, that has huge windows on both sides. It is very hard to not alert everyone on the map in the first 2 turns.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: December 15, 2015, 07:20:23 pm »

I tried to make a gravity cannon. When I turned the gravity generators on, it blasted off into deep space.

I learned how to make a gravity thruster.

EDIT: My party decided to charge through minefields, under fire from about a dozen mercenaries and battle droids. Finally managed to break off when both Kreia and Bao-dur were down. Sniped the ones using anti-sword shields using Shock(which costs more since I'm ~75% Light Side). Tried to melee two heavy turrets, but got swarmed by a half a dozen more mercs. Kreia's corpse nearby should have been warning enough about that tactic.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:08:53 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: December 15, 2015, 09:58:26 pm »

Lost my hardcore seasonal monk in a greater rift. Got caught frozen by a champion elite pack with frozen attribute, which tends to lead to spammed freeze attacks, and my "cheat death" passive was on cooldown. Was pushing greater rifts, was on torment level 9 out of 10 with a custom build I had come up with. Insane attack speed, got up to over 3 attacks a second I think, using a class skill that inflicts stackable dots, so more attacks per second equals more dots and more crits per second. Was pretty great, lasted a while. RIP HCSIVMonk, you were fun while you lasted.

On to the next season.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16031 on: December 16, 2015, 01:45:55 am »

Got wrecked after getting overconfident in Statue Form with barely any resists as a DgEE. The worst part was that I had all the spells I needed to win[Plus a few good ones I'd never have had enough spells levels for] and an amulet of rMut, I just lacked literally everything else. I, an unarmed fighter, got a trove full of weapons. And all the stores were either more fucking weapons, food or books. And for the entire game, I found NOTHING that gave me rF, which led to my death by HEY EVERYONE LET'S FIREBALL THIS KID on Depths:2. My rNeg and rC both chilled at a solid one pip the whole game[With rNeg provided by Statue Form, for the record]. And, because Demigod, my spell skills were nowhere near good enough to provide enough alpha strike potential to compensate for that.

TL;DR: RNG = BLUH

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: December 16, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »

Playing around with torpedoes again. I think I got the fabrication system working, but it's a bit too bulky for my liking. That's something I can probably correct by using fixed welders rather than ones mounted on pistons to slide the welders away once it's built. And I still have to get a grinder area small enough to detach without ripping the rest of the assembly apart.

Anyway, the problem now is the launch sequence. I can't find a method that specifically sets the battery to discharge mode. I almost got it, I think, by disconnecting the fuel line before activating the thruster and such. It also seems that other parts aren't triggering correctly.

Since after cutting off the block attaching it to the projector screen prevents me from manipulating the controls from a safe distance, I had to fly up to the torpedo itself. After finagling with the battery a bit, the thruster ignites... but the landing gear doesn't deactivate. It eventually pries loose, but the torpedo doesn't fly out of the bay, it dives into a forward pitch. Right into the floor, that I'm standing next to. The impact triggers the warheads.

One death before that, was during a close inspection of the torpedo to see if the fabricator array actually did make a complete torpedo. It's complete enough, though I didn't necessarily examine every single block. I also forgot to shut down the welders.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:05 am »

This isn't really a death per se, since I'm not sure death actually exists in this universe (save for the occasional squished cockroach), but today I had the most horrendous luck. I couldn't run for more than a few feet before faceplanting the ground, and I was attacked by bees no less than seven times. Each time a hive fell from a tree I would run for the nearest building but either the building would be closed, or I'd trip, or the bees (moving much faster than they normally do) would catch up before I could reach safety. Didn't manage to make much progress on my home loan either.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: December 17, 2015, 06:03:50 am »

It's hard to dodge a shot when that shot is a beam, and that beam pierces through your shields to your delicate starter ship hull. Zerkers are really annoying.

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1575