Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2370626 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #12225 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:51 am »

Intending to go to the Mun and back, I've got my best design so far. The design uses a series of rocket engines that stage outwards from the center. Each engine group pumps fuel into the next stage, and I set the decoupler stages to drop off the empty tanks. I call these the "launch engines", followed by a single group of rocket engine for going to the Mun, called the "travel engines", with a final group of LV-909s called the "landing engines"(though I want these for getting back to and landing on Kerbin, not Mun). The design also allows an incredibly large number of solid fuel boosters to fire off at once without danger of overheat. The results:

First attempt. The first stage of rockets to drop off, half of them apparently still have half a tank left. Detaching them causes that half to rocket upwards, breaking everything. It turns out I forgot to put in the fuel lines for that group of fuel tanks.

Second attempt. When the second stage of rockets detached, the connector for the detached fuel line clips the engine below it. About half the the engines that get hit break off, causing the ship to lose control.

Third attempt. After fixing the issue from the previous attempt, the problem from the first attempt comes back, only it's the other half of first-stage engines that don't empty properly. Fuck if I know how that happened.

Fourth attempt. Detaching the second-to-final stage of this rocket cluster, somehow something clips th engines again. I don't know what, but the addition of some strut connectors fixed that.

Fifth attempt. Just before reaching apoapsis, I reorient the ship to establish orbit before setting up for the Munlaunch. I turn SAS and RCS thrusters, and just as I'm making the burn for orbit, the SAS goes nutshit. I turn off SAS and attempt to correct manually. I happen to jettison the second-to-final stage of empty engine clusters during this manuever. Off course this tears most of the ship to pieces.

Sixth attempt. Same as before. Discovered that it was the winglets I had been using for stability during atmospheric flight were wrestling for control against the RCS thrusters apparently. Removed them except the ones that are on the rockets that drop off in the atmosphere and replaced with more RCS thrusters. The winglets might not have been needed anyway since the rocket is pretty stable going up.

Seventh attempt. Discover I have insufficient fuel to establish orbit, get to Mun, and launch back towards Kerbin. I decide to go for it anyway since I'm not 100% on the fuel effectiveness on the rocket stages intended for landing on/launching from Mun. The fuel on the last of the launch engines run out of fuel as I'm looking at the orbit map, and immediately I hear explosions. I go back to looking at the ship, and I see that there's debris everywhere and the only thing left of the clusterfuck of a ship is the command pod and the parachute on its nose.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goddamn Larxene with her high-level cards, and just generally being a real bitch.

Need strategy tips? :3
Nah. I figured it out. Just switched to my almost-completely magic deck. It was still pretty close, since I ran out of Cure cards. Got stomped by Riku using my normal deck, though, since I didn't see that fight coming before I could switch back to it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: June 16, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »

A wolf charged me and dazes me.  He then summons a fire ritch and a war hound. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: June 17, 2014, 04:59:16 am »

I was a traitor and got an objective to exchange documents with another traitor. He ran up to me, stabbed me with a paralyzing pen, stole my documents and planted plastic explosives on me.

Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:32 am »

I was a traitor and got an objective to exchange documents with another traitor. He ran up to me, stabbed me with a paralyzing pen, stole my documents and planted plastic explosives on me.

Well, guess he really was a traitor!

I've been taking a break from Dark Souls, so I am rusty at rolling. Then I meet THE ROCK.

"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12229 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:29 am »

stop, the rock. cant stop, the rock you cant, stop. the rock

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:26 am »

Well, guess he really was a traitor!

I've been taking a break from Dark Souls, so I am rusty at rolling. Then I meet THE ROCK.

Killing Havel is one of the most satisfying things in the game, since no matter how strong you are, he can still squish you like a bug under his Dragon Tooth.

Related: Gravity is the main antagonist of Dark Souls, with her evil sidekick, Anor Londo rafters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:13 pm »

Got contact juggled by a yeti for the first time.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: June 17, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »

My first Code Black -
Operation Vengeful Moon

Lost 3 soldiers ( see pic http://imgur.com/FJcMERA ), 2 more critically wounded ( five man squad ) but technically game counted that as a victory since i evacuated EXALT operative first....
With tutorials on this game has completely different pacing ( in all my games by the time i got that mission i had 2 x MEC Troopers ... and now Cyb-Lab is still under construction ) and its brutal as hell even on Normal :/

P.s. Vargas a.k.a. Arg-Heavy/Delta 2 died on second mission ;____:7

How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: June 17, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »

Joe decided he would run the ducks out of town, and they brought things the (our) dwarves didn't even believe existed to eat our face.  And in a bullshit automatic event too.

King of Dragon Pass

---

its a cute enough game, I see why it was recommended too me.  Its too easy to play the distinguished and aggressive-trader.  I am going to try it on hard now; since I made it to dominant clan on my second try.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:57:13 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: June 17, 2014, 05:48:29 pm »

At last, Ucim was nearly to the bandits' camp. He slept in the mountains for the night.

He wasn't counting on the bandits coming to his own camp.

DF Adventure Mode.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:27:23 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: June 17, 2014, 05:51:42 pm »

At last, Ucim was nearly to the bandits' camp. He slept in the mountains for the night.

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: June 17, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »

Do you have those meteors on a macro or something?  That was ridiculously fast.

Also I'm pretty certain he's playing DF Adventure Mode.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: June 17, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »

Nope, just have a favorite meteor image :P. And a two sentence description doesn't make it obvious it was adventure mode due to several games where that could happen, so I wanted to make sure :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:32 pm »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:55 pm »

Nope, just have a favorite meteor image :P. And a two sentence description doesn't make it obvious it was adventure mode due to several games where that could happen, so I wanted to make sure :P
My first thought was Mount & Blade.
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1575