Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: What is your fighting style?  (Read 12624 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: What is your fighting style?
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2011, 01:42:47 pm »

Should work, yes.
Unless of course...
You're too weak.
You're too unskilled
You're too lightweight
You're to slow and get facesmashed
You're to lightly armored and get facedsmashed
You're at a lack of hands
The RNG hates you

deknegt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

I run around decently armored with a dagger or any other small stabbing weapon in the right hand.

Stealth rush the archers first, grab their fighting hand (archers any of the two) and break their hand.

It usually makes them pass out pretty much right away and then i proceed to the next one until all the long range dudes are taken out.

Then i do the same thing with the close fighters and use all of them for practice until night is a couple of hours away and run back to the closest village. Those who survive the ''target practice'' don't get killing blows. Leaders also won't be killed unless it's a objective.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »

Silver warhammer or mace -usualy go for warhammer-
sheild, and a mourning star in my sheild hand.

my tactics are: bash the crap out of them with hammer when its solid shots, and then use the morning star when its graze or cant quite connect. it almost always gets entangled so i can twist it around in the wound. mind: before i engage i usualy throw a fair number of items at them wile my meat sheilds make the opening gambit. things fight a whole lot less when they have a silver great axe lodged in them.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2011, 09:25:15 pm »

I usually use a sword or axe to cut open the lower body and spill their guts... I then proceed to cut or otherwise remove their guts, I then watch them die a slow and horrible death.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:05 am »

When fighting bogeymen or other hordes, I do things the easy way: move into them, let the auto-attack do its thing, then dance in and out of combat to do crowd control. Eventually all the enemies will either bleed to death or move slowly enough that I can brutally kill them all.

When fighting quest monsters, I do a self-imposed challenge and try to stick to moves that would be practical in real life. That means kicking an opponent's left leg with my adventurer's right leg, punching opponents in the face, doing kicks to the body if the opportunity presents itself, or if I am lucky enough to have a pointy weapon, repeatedly stabbing the opponent in the upper and lower body until he/she/it can barely move anymore. If I'm feeling really flashy, I'll do spinning kicks to the legs (e.g. kicking an opponent's left leg with my own left leg), or even kicks and punches to the body. In particular, body blows seem to help a lot with mundane creatures like humans, dwarves and elves. (did I mention that I'm thinking of modding the game so that elbows and knees can be used for striking?)

Wrestling is too funky right now so I never do it. If it ever gets a better interface then I'm sure I'll be doing fancy chokes, like anaconda chokes and guillotines, to my opponents soon enough.

My ultimate show of contempt to a foe is to simply punch him in the face. Adventurers generally get so strong that they can jam the skull through the brain anyhow.

If I've got an axe or some other weapon that works best when slashing, then I focus entirely on the lower body and whichever limb is easy to hit. If the enemy's guts pop out, I always try to sever them, just because Dwarf Fortress is awesome like that.

On the very rare occasion that my adventurers meet challenges they cannot defeat, they can usually still outrun them. I just pick up rocks and stuff and throw them for massive damage. It's almost like cheating, as many of you know, but hey, it works.

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2011, 02:03:19 pm »

When in one-on-one, I go for the hands or arms in order to disable them. If that doesn't work, a slash to the lower body usually stuns them and spills their guts. When in group combat, I usually run away for a little until the people get into a line and can't all attack you at once. Then I do what I do with one-on-one. I only disable them then come and finish them off.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »

Does running count?
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2011, 05:13:49 pm »

Does running count?

Yes, it does.  You're not going to get famous that way, but running away is one of the three basic elven fighting styles.  The other two are spamming arrows and being slaughtered.  They're also good at combining the first two with the third one.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »

I don't have a set attack style, but the one I use most involves me throwing a throwing knife at the closest enemy before I reach any of them, and then I proceed to attack. I may kill them outright, but other times I beat on them and then leave them to my companions so I can attack something that is a bigger threat than the bloody paste on the ground.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2011, 06:47:50 pm »

Chop off the hands and/or natural weapons of enemies around me, then kill them all

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2011, 06:48:24 pm »

Recently I started playing axemen and swordsmen more and more, and going for the extremities first. The first target's usually the feet or the arms - the feet are often easily hittable at the beginning of a fight, and a good hit slows the enemy down well. Disarming them is usually the top priority, as long as I can hit them at all that is. For those that are particularly elusive or well-armoured, I just go for the best hit.
Also, I try to attack the upper body sometimes. Using axes produces a lot of heart ruptues for some reason, which is similar to a delayed decapitation.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Beach Bum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2011, 01:51:49 am »

My style so far has been:
Start Game
Attack First Person I see with my Sword
Chop off all their limbs
Die when their friends chop off my arm/leg

I haven't had an adventure last more than 10 minutes yet. Still I'm having a blast.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2011, 01:23:45 pm »

My style so far has been:
Start Game
Attack First Person I see with my Sword
Chop off all their limbs
Die when their friends chop off my arm/leg

I haven't had an adventure last more than 10 minutes yet. Still I'm having a blast.

Stealth Attacks. Then you get to sneak up on that first person, and maybe get away without their friends reaching you.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:07 pm »

Returning from my long absence from the forums, I ask: Which race is best for adventuring (in an unmodified game)?

Dwarves are dwarfy, have good strength and start with steel gear (and therefor if I'm planning an unarmed character I will start out as a "[weapon]dwarf" so I still have a high-quality weapon if I need it). And of course, Martial Trances can be a complete lifesaver. But you can't use human armor or clothing, so you cannot outfit yourself with cloaks for arrow deflection.

Elves kind of suck imo. Traditional "goddamn hippies" aside, they start with crappy gear, are too skinny to fit into human stuff, and punching bags wolves don't ambush them them. Their speed boost does not make up for these drawbacks.

Human's have average stats of course, and can wear items dropped by the humans, and as of this release, humans are all you're going to encounter (right? Last time I checked, dwarf, elf, and gobbo settlements marked on the map were empty).

So human for armor-compatibility, and dwarves for good starting armor and martial trances. And How does size factor into combat and wrestling? Opinions welcome, as this will help me determine fighting style.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2011, 04:02:27 pm »

Returning from my long absence from the forums, I ask: Which race is best for adventuring (in an unmodified game)?

Dwarves are dwarfy, have good strength and start with steel gear (and therefor if I'm planning an unarmed character I will start out as a "[weapon]dwarf" so I still have a high-quality weapon if I need it). And of course, Martial Trances can be a complete lifesaver. But you can't use human armor or clothing, so you cannot outfit yourself with cloaks for arrow deflection.

Elves kind of suck imo. Traditional "goddamn hippies" aside, they start with crappy gear, are too skinny to fit into human stuff, and punching bags wolves don't ambush them them. Their speed boost does not make up for these drawbacks.

Human's have average stats of course, and can wear items dropped by the humans, and as of this release, humans are all you're going to encounter (right? Last time I checked, dwarf, elf, and gobbo settlements marked on the map were empty).

So human for armor-compatibility, and dwarves for good starting armor and martial trances. And How does size factor into combat and wrestling? Opinions welcome, as this will help me determine fighting style.

There are a few things you're leaving out.  Humans are better at using large weapons like two-handed swords, while dwarves multigrasp anything bigger than a longsword.  Also, goblin armor is compatible with dwarves, so you can get tons of GCS silk clothing and some iron armor from goblin ambushes.  You can also regularly find goblin bandits and steal their stuff.

Another point in favor of dwarves is martial trances.  When dwarves are facing a lot of enemies, they sometimes go into a martial trance and get huge bonuses to strength and accuracy.  A dwarf in a martial trance can usually slaughter huge groups of enemies without being touched once.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12