Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: What is your fighting style?  (Read 12626 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is your fighting style?
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:26 pm »

How do fight one on one?
How do you fight groups?

Personally, I am a coward in a fight.  I run the other direction with them one block behind, only throwing attacks back at them when they are ideal attacks nearly guaranteed to hit.  If it is a group, I try to aim for the legs, so I can attempt to slow them down to fight them one on one.  I rarely stand my ground and fight a fair match

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your fighting style?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:55:02 pm »

I try to line my opponents up - Numbers dont really concern me as long as i have some level of control over my positioning. I wield a knife and am a proficient striker, and my preference is to disable an opponent quickly, but not killing them.

Then if it becomes necessary, i slash their throat.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:19:06 am »

Hand to hand, man to man - if I'm always going to be able to punch/kick/bite/scratch, why bother with a weapon? I always go for the easiest target to hit, preferably legs, arms, and head, but I'll go for the torso if I have to. I always take opportunity shots when they're available, even if they're kinda worthless. (Kick to thumb? Sure, why not.) It gets me killed a lot, but at least it's fun.

On an unrelated note, I did try out axes. They're frickin' awesome with targeted strikes; easy attacks almost always result in something severed.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:27 am »

[drunkpost]I've grown fond of swords.  I go for stabs to the upper body (fare thee well, lungs and heart) or slashes to the head (decapitation) if it's convenient.  Otherwise, I start removing limbs; once you've hacked off a leg, you can theoretically just dance out of reach.  I usually don't, though, since I pride myself on quick, efficient kills, but it's still nice to have an armless and/or legless victim when seeking the fastest possible unharmed-to-corpse time.  This basic method works fine in single combat, and is a necessity when dealing with bandits; taking your sweet time on someone leaves you vulnerable to his/her buddies.[/drunkpost]
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:05:37 am »

I try to line my opponents up - Numbers dont really concern me as long as i have some level of control over my positioning. I wield a knife and am a proficient striker, and my preference is to disable an opponent quickly, but not killing them.

Interesting, I haven't tried much in unarmed combat (Sword man myself).  I don't think I've ever managed a simple slit throat, most head attacks evolving into full on decapitations.  How do you slash a throat?  How effective is it?  Heavy bleeding never seems to slow anything down for me...

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:12:31 am »

I've been trying out a lot of hand-to-hand stuff tonight. Lots of ninja characters.

Really easy to sneak up on a guy, grab his head, gouge his eyes out, and put his skull into his brain. Though I have been wondering how one goes about slashing a throat as well. Is it simply just referring to attacking their head, or is it a real attack?
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 01:16:50 am »

Crouching Dwarf Hidden Foot.

I take high skills in striking / kicking. Usually I try to blow out their lower leg (e.g knee) so they they are on the ground. I then either curb stomp them or pull out their heart.

Interesting, I haven't tried much in unarmed combat (Sword man myself).  I don't think I've ever managed a simple slit throat, most head attacks evolving into full on decapitations.  How do you slash a throat?  How effective is it?  Heavy bleeding never seems to slow anything down for me...

Some weapons have the option to slash, stab, or bash. With a knife, stabbing is..stabbing, slashing head is throat cutting and bashing is hitting them with the pommel of the knife.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:20:45 am »

Well, i first choke their throat with my left lower arm, then as soon as they pass out, i Shift+A, Throat, Slash.
It isnt an instant kill, itll sever the major artery, and the victim will just lie on the ground until they die. Its never failed me
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 01:21:53 am »

My fighting style is rather simple. I try to disable my opponent's arms first. Slice or break them. Next I go for legs. I try to keep them disarmed and harmless, so I can stomp on their chests while they have no limbs.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 02:17:11 am »

My current character has an interesting style...
They're a lasher, and with tricksy opponents, I -bite- their hand or foot so they can't sodge, and then whip them across the chest and stomach until either I get a clear shot at their head, or they fall unconscious.
Not being a piercing weapon, whips don't really deal a great lot of damage to bodyparts apart from the head.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

filthywalrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 02:23:42 am »

Well, i first choke their throat with my left lower arm, then as soon as they pass out, i Shift+A, Throat, Slash.
It isnt an instant kill, itll sever the major artery, and the victim will just lie on the ground until they die. Its never failed me

I personally prefer to stab their throat (if the option is available) because, rarely, the major artery doesn't get severed when I slash their throat instead of stabbing it.
I'd like to make a baby zoo. Is there an effective and safe way to cage babies? Will they grow up or starve while caged? Or do they effectively freeze while caged?
DF forums:  Where this discussion is perfectly acceptable.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:36:52 am »

I am unabashedly a solo ninja.
I sneak in, grab their weapons* (or just the quivers for archers), then fill the threatening ones full of holes with any arrows/bolts I have just stolen. After this, I steal any clothes that Quesa wants to swap for her dirty old ones, and after changing into her new outfits I engage what is left of the enemy with whichever weapon Quesa is training that day (her bronze whip is her favourite).

* Except leaders/warlords/etc. They are worthy opponents, to be dueled with honor. Unless they're archers. Then screw them.

This plan works great except for wild animals. For those I find a vulnerable part, and bite down, shaking and chewing until it comes off. Rinse, repeat. Animal bleeds to death. Quesa levels up biting and uses it for attacks of opportunity in her duels. It's gotten to the point where against certain animals, Quesa automatically chooses to bite of bodyparts instead of using her actual weapon. There is always some buzzard leg or such stuck in her teeth. It's also good way of dealing with small groups of Bogeymen.

Night creatures? I loot the cave while the beast blunders about looking for me and calling out challenges. After changing into the better gear I follow pretty much the same plan as with humans.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 02:58:57 am »

Quesa is awesome. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 03:03:03 am »

I've been trying out a lot of hand-to-hand stuff tonight. Lots of ninja characters.

Really easy to sneak up on a guy, grab his head, gouge his eyes out, and put his skull into his brain. Though I have been wondering how one goes about slashing a throat as well. Is it simply just referring to attacking their head, or is it a real attack?
You gotta scroll through the list down after pressing SHIFT + A, pick the throat, then use some kind of a slash attack.
Though the only thing it seems to do is making the bleed heavily and\or suffocate, they still run after you though

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 03:07:54 am »

I personally prefer to stab their throat (if the option is available) because, rarely, the major artery doesn't get severed when I slash their throat instead of stabbing it.
Makes sense - I only slash it for the style. Read my signature - Its also the reason i use a dagger instead of a sword
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12