Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: What is your fighting style?  (Read 12613 times)

Fluid

• Bay Watcher
  • Something has gone, Terribly wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: What is your fighting style?
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:47 am »

Disarming and strangling is an easy way to fight as a wrestler, real unarmedsmen fight with their bare fists and break all the ribs in their opponents body before caving their skull in. Upper Body hits are actually pretty lethal to them, because you end up jamming ribs in their heart and lungs all them time.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:37 am »

Disarming and strangling is an easy way to fight as a wrestler, real unarmedsmen fight with their bare fists and break all the ribs in their opponents body before caving their skull in. Upper Body hits are actually pretty lethal to them, because you end up jamming ribs in their heart and lungs all them time.

I was testing these big (bigger than a human) reptillian humanoids, and I hit a human in the upper body (can't remember whether it was a kick or a punch, though...), and I jammed one rib through another and that mess was jammed through one of the poor guy's lungs. It was epic.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »

Wrestle, take guy's armor and weapon away, then his shield. Then beat him to death with one of the above. Works less favorably on hydras and dragons.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »

If you have really high strength they are, but my last adventurer had only average (later above average) strength, and punches to anywhere but the head were never lethal (and to night creatures even one to the head were never lethal).

Avarage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:37 pm »

I like to try a different style just about every time I make a new adventurer. My last one was an axedwarf, who ended up getting pretty good at shield using and armor wearing. After racking up 113 notable kills, motor nerves in both of his legs were severed while fighting a typical goblin ambush, reducing the once mighty hero to crawling. I crawled his ass to the nearest mountainhome and retired him.

My current character is probably my most lethal to date, aside from a sharpened obsidian stone-thrower. A swordsman/sword thrower that always has a -bronze scimitar- in one hand for hacking off limbs and heads. I also keep any other scimitars I find because they seem to make the best throwing weapons (aside from sharpened obsidian stones). When ambushed by goblins or bandits, he throws all of his useless iron scimitars (which are inferior to bronze scimitars) at the most dangerous enemies, cutting off limbs and sometimes just plain cutting them in half. He then finishes any survivors off. Voila.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2011, 05:33:51 pm »

If you get to legendary in anything (which isn't that hard really), pretty much everything you do will be lethal, I can't remeber the last time a dragon lasted more than 2 turns against my legendary swordsman.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2011, 07:05:50 pm »

I like to try a different style just about every time I make a new adventurer. My last one was an axedwarf, who ended up getting pretty good at shield using and armor wearing. After racking up 113 notable kills, motor nerves in both of his legs were severed while fighting a typical goblin ambush, reducing the once mighty hero to crawling. I crawled his ass to the nearest mountainhome and retired him.

My current character is probably my most lethal to date, aside from a sharpened obsidian stone-thrower. A swordsman/sword thrower that always has a -bronze scimitar- in one hand for hacking off limbs and heads. I also keep any other scimitars I find because they seem to make the best throwing weapons (aside from sharpened obsidian stones). When ambushed by goblins or bandits, he throws all of his useless iron scimitars (which are inferior to bronze scimitars) at the most dangerous enemies, cutting off limbs and sometimes just plain cutting them in half. He then finishes any survivors off. Voila.
Tried crutches? I THINK you can just hop around on a single crutch. Available at a couple of town stores I think.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »

Disable the weapon hand/arm asap, then gain skill by disabling all other limbs unless a solid headshot is possible. When fighting groups I just make one drop it's weapon then continue to the next or go right for the head if possible.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

I try to disable my enemies - go for the guts or the legs and then, when they're down, hack their heads off.

If attacked by groups I usually try and back up a bit, hurt the closest ones with thrown arrows, which usually makes them run away bleeding, then I deal with anyone who didn't run as above. Once the brave are dead I go hunt down the stragglers and kill them. I always target the bow wielders first.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2011, 11:51:31 pm »

Get steel. Iron is par with bronze.

Not anymore, it isn't.

so iron can now take out a bronze colosus? In that case I am happy i bought two iron picks.

No; iron used to be better than bronze pre-0.31, but now bronze is better than iron. This is due to a material's effectiveness now being based upon its physical properties, as incorporated from real-world references. (Bronze and iron have never been the same effectiveness.)
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2011, 01:22:05 am »

My style is simple, I send my companions to distract it, and I then sneak behind and blow it's head out.

I then pick up what I want from my dead companions and set off on more adventures.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:47 pm »

I kick everything in the head.  One shot, one kill.  Simple as that.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:57 am »

Tried crutches? I THINK you can just hop around on a single crutch. Available at a couple of town stores I think.

With a bug in the current version you only even need that temporarily, as if a crutch is removed from a unit's hand by being thrown or put in a bag (instead of being dropped) they're treated as if they still have crutches even though they're not using their hands.

Granted, you'll still need to grind crutch-walking just to get something better than crawling, but you at least don't have to use up a hand.

No; iron used to be better than bronze pre-0.31, but now bronze is better than iron. This is due to a material's effectiveness now being based upon its physical properties, as incorporated from real-world references. (Bronze and iron have never been the same effectiveness.)

No, that's actually not true. Generaly iron is still better for both edged weaponry and armor (for blunt weapons they're nearly identical), but it varies depending on what the other guy's weapon/armor is made of.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2011, 12:15:50 pm »

No, that's actually not true. Generaly iron is still better for both edged weaponry and armor (for blunt weapons they're nearly identical), but it varies depending on what the other guy's weapon/armor is made of.

So does that mean my iron  picks will be able to take out a bronze colossus?
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »

Should work, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12