Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: What is your fighting style?  (Read 12634 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your fighting style?
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »

On the mention of water, is there any way to get yourself out of a river? Can't seem to pull myself up a ledge or anything, drowning being the only option.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2010, 07:23:30 pm »

i like to move in up close to let my might help kill them.
the first blow is aim to kill or to cripple there legs but i like to keep an eye out from ! strikes.
right now i am useing a Sword and Shield
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2010, 07:27:56 pm »

I prioritize hit location in this order.  What ever is more likely to score a powerful hit will be what attack I chose.

1) head/neck
2) upper arms/legs
3) upper/lower body, lower arms/legs
4) hands and feet
5) Fingers/toes

If I can not get a kill to the head off in one shot, then I try to cripple them by removing entire leg or arm, producing heavy bleeding and extreme pain (now not a threat).  Shots to the upper/lower body can cause pain and blood loss as well as suffocation, however, I have found it to be slower then other methods.  Hands and feet become the next to be targeted if the previous are not possible.  This is to drop them to the ground or make them not able to use weapons. 

After crippling on target, I move to the next.  If everything goes to plan, when none are left standing the rest either have bleed to death, or can be easily killed without interference. 
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2010, 08:01:21 pm »

On the mention of water, is there any way to get yourself out of a river? Can't seem to pull myself up a ledge or anything, drowning being the only option.

If you dont' have at least novice swimmer, you can't get out. Other conditions can also stop you from being able to get out. Also, some river channels are 2 z levels deep above the water. You need to find a bank that is level with the top of the water.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2010, 09:31:12 pm »

Has anyone noticed this:  I think higher fighting skill (not weapon skill) gives you more opportunity attacks.  I have played with hero builds that have high fighting, low weapon skill, or opposite.  I think that the ones with higher fighting get more extra attacks and opportunities.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »

Yeah fighter skill affects your striking ability with any weapon i think

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2010, 10:19:16 pm »

I've been having quite a bit of success prioritizing

1) Upper arms lower arms or hands(weapon arm naturally)
2) Legs
3) Upper Body (Stabbing attack)
4) Lower Body (Slashing attack)
5) Head

Naturally actual chance to hit modifies it.  And a simple strike or opportunity headshot trumps all.  But with a couple things with about the same chance to hit and damage that's more or less how it goes.

Arms disable the weapon, legs reduce how often they attack.  A heavy stab to the upper body even with a non-solid blow causes tons of bloodloss and pain (pain also slows attack speed) and has a good chance of hitting something mortal.  A slashing attack to the lower body occasionally results in a deathstrike when wielding a large weapon, and for some reason head's seem inordinately well defended, despite what the estimates tend to say, so unless I have nothing else worth trying I don't aim for the head.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:40 pm »

I usually first go for the weapon hand, and then try to cause as much pain as possible (blunt attacks on limbs, well-aimed kicks, opportunity attacks on toes, etc.).  When I get a chance or they pass out from the pain, I'll deliver the coup de grace (in the form of a decapitation or a skull-shattering kick).
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

I am floored by the effectiveness of whips.  Pretty much any solid hit to the head is a killshot, and other locational damage typically causes extreme pain or nausea.  The only reason my most recent adventurer died was because the cheiftain I was up against had an iron scourge.  The main downside is the lack of severs or any real bleeding, though I haven't tried a scourge with decent skill yet.  Otherwise, a bladed weapon skill + wrestling works well.  Take weapon, strangle, stab face.

In battle I always go for the ranged attackers while my companions take on the main force, and then I handle clean-up.  For the nastier beasts it's more a war of attrition, though the night beast spouses typically only take a single solid attack to finish off.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2010, 12:45:55 am »

I am floored by the effectiveness of whips.  Pretty much any solid hit to the head is a killshot, and other locational damage typically causes extreme pain or nausea.  The only reason my most recent adventurer died was because the cheiftain I was up against had an iron scourge.  The main downside is the lack of severs or any real bleeding, though I haven't tried a scourge with decent skill yet.  Otherwise, a bladed weapon skill + wrestling works well.  Take weapon, strangle, stab face.

In battle I always go for the ranged attackers while my companions take on the main force, and then I handle clean-up.  For the nastier beasts it's more a war of attrition, though the night beast spouses typically only take a single solid attack to finish off.

Try a pick.
I'm sitting here, wailing against an unconscious giant i downed, swinging away with my axe, then my hammer, then my spear, then my sword, then my flail, then my shield, then my foot. I take out the bronze pick I had stashed, thinking that it could be a useful armor breaker.
1-shot, through the skull, instant-kill.
Since then I've adopted it for everything, and find that:
If you hit them in the upper body, they are torn/shattered.
If you hit them in the lower body, their guts are spilled.
If you hit them in any of their appendages, they sail through the air.
If you hit them in the head, either it sails, or it is shattered.
That fucker is devastating, and it's major draw back is that 50/50 it gets stuck, though that might be because of how DEVASTATING it's hits are.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Fluid

• Bay Watcher
  • Something has gone, Terribly wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2010, 05:29:10 pm »

although I've never tried it on a night creature or anything but bandits and peasants, the old fists work well for me with their speed and accuracy. I don't know if it was from a coded bonus to accuracy when you kill quickly, but I was able to chain together successful headshots on 3 or more humans, with the speed of dual-wielded lightweight fists giving me about 8-10 hits before they even tried to slash at me. It's pretty deadly because aiming for limbs and extremities, you can break a lot of bones and make them cave into pain, which is about as lethal at the end for them as a severed head or crushed skull is. The only downside is that you will quickly fall to not having a shield/crossbowmen/reliance on bone-breaking and skull-crushing, unless you bring meatshields, which take the fun out of being a fist-fighting badass (whats the point of fighting if you can just hire lackeys to remove any possible harm from happening to you?)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »

(whats the point of fighting if you can just hire lackeys to remove any possible harm from happening to you?)

The only thing I can think of is a fist fighting badass has a much lesser chance of being able to smash an archer in the face before they get an arrow the the skull. Unless you're made of iron.

My fighting style?
JEWELS.
I kid you not, every time I open up a new adventurer, I make them a Misc. Object User with a lot in dodge and a little bit in some other weapon skill. Using the some other weapon, I down easy enemies until I have enough to buy two cut gems (opal, emerald, red beryl, anything works). I dual wield them. Since they're really dense but not sharp, I can't sever limbs but breaking bones is ridiculously easy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:26:35 pm by freeformschooler »

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2010, 07:04:53 pm »

If I'm not an epically strong adventurer yet, I usually start off every battle by charging the enemy and then attacking its feet/legs.  It's almost impossible for anybody to kill you from the ground if you're reasonably strong.  Then, I go for either slashes to the lower body or stabs to the upper body, unless I get a good chance to lop off a limb or the head.

Ig88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »

With any of my basic fighters (picks and swords) I tend to go for the hands to disable my opponent, maybe the feet/legs too. I then leave them to bleed out while I deal with other threats or I lop off their limbs/hacknslash their torsos until I can decap. them. I also throw things(limbs, heavy objects, arrows, etc.) before closing the distance. Sometimes I just cripple my target and pelt them with stuff. For ambushers, I tend to go up behind my target and hope for an instant kill with my weapon of choice.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2011, 02:52:50 am »

I've been playing as a blizzard man lately. Man those things can soak up damage. I got mobbed by eight bogeys after one of them latched onto my leg and I gave into pain. I woke up with my eyes gouged out, all my teeth and fingers missing, blue organs and nervous tissue, and red wounds on my entire body. They just weren't quite able to finish me before dawn.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12