Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demon Companion  (Read 1155 times)

Lupus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon Companion
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:53:25 pm »

So I was exploring a castle with my new adventurer, where I came upon a & in the main room with the ruler, when I selected it its profession was listed as prisoner, I talked to it and asked it if it wanted to join me in my adventure, surprisingly it agreed. I suppose this is due to it being a prisoner, perhaps defaulting to wanting to escape thereby allowing me to recruit him. Pics follow:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
edit: apparently it was a captured law giver
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:02:18 pm by Lupus »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Companion
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:56:59 pm »

May it spill much blood on your behalf;
Lest it shed its own for the good of us all.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Lupus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:58 pm »

Hopefully it doesn't breath its poisonous vapors on me...

Edit: Wow, it destroys everything in its path...This is going to be fun, also out of curiosity has this ever happened before?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:01:27 pm by Lupus »

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »

Yes it has - It wouldnt be the exact same demon, as theyre quite unique in detail.

However, ive heard of people and spoken to one who have them

Its still uncommon if not rare
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Lupus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:14 pm »

Its already killed a troll and a crocodile with no damage to itself. Add a masterful night monster and a gloom troll.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:19:25 pm by Lupus »

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:25:17 pm »

I've gotten two in one adventure. One is a lizard monster, and the other is a bison demon drunk. Both originally listed as prisoners. the bison demon spits frozen spit things that kill stuff. I was confused at first because it looked like people were just falling over and bleeding during fights for no reason.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:41:36 pm »

I like the idea of the honorable demon.  You freed it, so it obeys you in payment.  Would be even more interesting if it would stay with you until it saves your life and then, its debt payed, leave.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:28:34 am »

I like the idea of the honorable demon.  You freed it, so it obeys you in payment.  Would be even more interesting if it would stay with you until it saves your life and then, its debt payed, leave.

Being a demon, honorable or not, wouldn't it be more likely to destroy everything you've ever loved and then ride your corpse to hell? That way it could honorably quest with you until it's debt is payed, and then kill you to shit like a good demon should.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 04:32:50 am »

I made a bug report regarding these yesterday, as the one I found didn't exactly behave correctly. It'd be useful to know if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 04:39:27 am »

"Didn't behave correctly"?!? DUDE!! It's a demon!! You're lucky if it doesn't tear your head off as soon as it's free!! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 05:06:34 am »

I highly support the idea of freeing a demon prisoner, who was once the leader of a vanquished country, and have him follow you as a payment. Once everyone has incentives and desires, this situation will be handled by the personnality of the creature, and this "bug" (which is awesome) will solve itself.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

UPDATE: while battling a roving band of goblins the bison demon and lizard monster betrayed me. At first it looked like they were fighting like normal, then I was wounded and crawled behind them for protection (It was a massive amount of goblins) While a Goblin swordsman advanced on me. Given their track record I expected them to go through him like a hot knife through butter.

Instead they stood their and watched as I fought for my life and eventually died, My adventurer did manage to get a good kick to the head in and kill the goblin. I'm just imagining the stories that poeple would tell around the fire of this guy. The new adventure mode is a lot more story like.

Spoilered so you don't have to read my horrible story.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 11:50:17 am »

UPDATE: while battling a roving band of goblins the bison demon and lizard monster betrayed me. At first it looked like they were fighting like normal, then I was wounded and crawled behind them for protection (It was a massive amount of goblins) While a Goblin swordsman advanced on me. Given their track record I expected them to go through him like a hot knife through butter.

Instead they stood their and watched as I fought for my life and eventually died, My adventurer did manage to get a good kick to the head in and kill the goblin. I'm just imagining the stories that poeple would tell around the fire of this guy. The new adventure mode is a lot more story like.

Spoilered so you don't have to read my horrible story.
Well, you put so much faith in them, and they chose inaction when you needed them most. If this was recent, open the game log in the games files and get a transcript of your murder - Id like to see it :)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:53 pm »

It's long. My guess is that the monsters used to be a part of whatever civ the goblins came from. Also I could have sworn that I grabbed the sword but apparently I didn't have possession when the kick happened.

Spoilered for length

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 12:18:05 pm »

Thats positively one for the history books - You shattered his skull right before your body gave up on you - It was a lucky shot, based on how horrifically maimed you were, making it all the better

Bravo!

Now to try and do something equally spectacular and save my own life :p
Pages: [1] 2