Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hydra's greatest weakness  (Read 10673 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Hydra's greatest weakness
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 07:07:20 am »

If you use DFFusion to give your companions better armor and weapons, they are pretty useful.

By default they have no good armor, so they are weak.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 09:49:48 am »

On to topic - we killed hydra only in three, and the decisive factor was a spear - if you impale the critical organs like heart, liver and spleen, it only vomits and you can proceed to beating the hydra to death. Chopping heads takes too long.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:13 am »

It only has nine seven heads, if you have a few decent axemen/swordsmen/dwarves you can cut off several heads very quickly. Fighting a hydra is mostly making sure it doesn't latch onto you with a head, as a hydra is obviously massive and can rip off some pretty big parts of your body.

Benata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 10:42:22 am »

Weird, my men killed a hydra in 3 turns. I wasn't even telling them what to do...

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

Yeah, the way you're "supposed" to kill a hydra is by either opening its heart or bisecting it, if you can cut through all that much meat. Spine breaking is good too (they do have spines right?).

In practice it usually ends up being a drawn-out affair involving seven dead heads. I favor marksdwarves in dwarf mode. How'd they get it done? Seven headshots.

Benata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 11:32:03 am »

Anyways I am skipping to my result.

Still not dead, bloody hell...

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 11:42:01 am »

They have a spine, even multiple spines, I remember severing the middle one.

Damn it, I just checked in Legends, and that thing had 266 notable kills , and over 270 other kills, reigning with terror for over 1000 years. guess I just got lucky. The current era is not named The Era of the Hydra and the Titan for naught ;-). My dwarf instantly became a famous hero all over the continent... that is before he met the same patrol from Sacks of Craziness that whacked my first hero. Damn you, Sacks of Craziness!!!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 11:52:29 am »

After 20 minutes of experimentation, i killed a Hydra by cutting its right lung. This seems to be the solution. Target the upper body, with lighter hits to the lower body, try and take out the lungs.
It seems to work best with a longsword of some kind, and i grappled the third neck for balance.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Benata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »

After that I tried to attack a dragon.

Headshot seems to be the best against those :/.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »

Obviously, the kickback of the crossbow was strong enough to send the crossbowman on the ground. More like a hand-ballista ;-)

Ridiculous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:23 pm »

I was incredibly impressed by the sheer amount of blood that dripped off my merry band of men after their encounter with a Hydra (the black hole is the entrance to its lair):

No casualties or damage recieved whatsoever either, probably because the Hydra had its guts spilled on the first round, followed by both lungs being torn apart.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:38 am »

Why won't it die????

Yes. it was one for each head. Also, thrown objects can "pass through" necks without them getting harmed. What the heck is that all about?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:35 pm »

Did you tear the brain in each head?  Look farther down the wound list.  The hydra will only die if all seven brains are dead.

I find that if soloing a hydra either stabbing each head until the brain dies or going for upper body lung/heart shots works the best.  It WILL bleed to death if you get a heart shot, and both lungs down makes it suffocate.  You'll need something long and pointy; swords or spears work the best.  It's hard for chopping weapons to get a proper decapitation on a hydra's neck or head, they're just too large.  You CAN do it, but it will take more than a few solid blows per head. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:53 pm »

I find it near impossible to kill anything by making it bleed to death, the only way I've gotten a creature to bleed out is by giving in wounds that should be impossible to survive for longer than a minute or two.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:57:21 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Squeak_Rustfur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 07:01:10 pm »

Speed is your friend when it comes to Hyrdas. My lone kobold swordsman, with very high speed was able to bring down a hydra in a series of hit and run attacks without taking a scratch after she lured it out of it's lair. Helps if you target it's leg first, then you can even get multiple attacks in before moving away.

Said kobold died to an ordinary night creature soon after...
Pages: 1 [2] 3