Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hydra's greatest weakness  (Read 10681 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Hydra's greatest weakness
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:18:24 pm »

Turns out that a hydra's greatest weakness in adventurer mode is getting stabbed, slashed, hacked and hammered at by 20 human recruits for about 100 rounds.
But boy, can they take a pounding.

And if you are a high level swordsman, you can go claim some heads!

I'm pretty sure we were in danger of drowning in all that blood...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:21:49 pm by Overspeculated »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Hydra's greatest weakness
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:24:31 pm »

Oh, good. Now I know that I need an army before doing that quest..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Hydra skulls, that is.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »

Wow, that's quite impressive. I killed a hydra with 2 or 3 companions (I believe.. a maceman, a lasher, and a swordsman)

I use a halberd. It cuts like an axe and can stab similar to a spear, so i just stabbed it repeatedly in the lungs, heart, and stomach because apparently I wasn't strong enough to cut off its head.

It would be nice if the the stabbing part of the halberd used the spearman skill.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:19:35 pm »

Hydra? I had to chop all seven heads off to kill it, while it was distracted by my "companions" (read: goblin ambush fodder).

On that note, did you notice how weak and useless the soldiers became? Take 20 of them, go for a while, you get ambushed by 20-30 goblins and you're lucky if anyone of your's survives, let alone not horribly mutilated beyond repair and I'm not even speaking about still having his weapon...

.17 is fucking brutal (and I like it).

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:56:39 pm »

I killed a hyrda this morning without too much trouble. Just systematically bashed in each of its seven heads till each was in the red, then moved down its body.

Sadly this made me brave and my next quest was a minotaur who crushed my brain with a single punch. The irony was I had just contemplated falling back to let my axemen help, but thought "how strong can he be".

Also, when I went back there to try avenge myself, he managed to slaughter my whole team again. But this time not before he lost both and arm and a leg. Then later when I went back for a third time. He was now hopping around the maze.
I did get him the third time round though :D
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:51:22 am »

I just took out a Hydra with a team of 7 myself. Nobody suffered any serious damage. The wiki says Hydras are weak to being ganged up on and that a couple unskilled dwarves with copper weaponry is usualy enough to take them out.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:07:12 am »

I've heard that it will no longer bleed to death if you just cut off one head or slit one throat. Is there any truth to that?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:53:10 am »

I've heard that it will no longer bleed to death if you just cut off one head or slit one throat. Is there any truth to that?
That is correct.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 03:05:25 am »

Still, seven heads is not a strength in DF, it's a weakness.

Hydra? I had to chop all seven heads off to kill it, while it was distracted by my "companions" (read: goblin ambush fodder).

On that note, did you notice how weak and useless the soldiers became? Take 20 of them, go for a while, you get ambushed by 20-30 goblins and you're lucky if anyone of your's survives, let alone not horribly mutilated beyond repair and I'm not even speaking about still having his weapon...

Indeed. Before, my adventurers often came pre-canned - that is, armoured, and few things could really take them. Now I consider myself lucky if I can get at least some bits of armour early on.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:40 am »

Thrusting/poking upper body and lower body with sword seems to work well, it ignores the scales and hits heart, liver and pancreas etc.... with good swordskill

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:44:43 am »

Do DF hydrae have crazy-fast wound regeneration like in the Greek myth?

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:13 am »

Not at all

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:47:42 am »

Not at all
that is not true thay do have fast wound regeneration but it still takes time.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 05:48:38 am »

I dare to disagree. One of my most successful dwarven demi-god Urist Worthystandards was acompanied by a human axeman Leto, armed with bronze great axe. This guy managed to get most of the kills instead of my dwarf - gloom horror's spouse, troglodyte, 3 goblin chieftains, and some twisted shadow monster, they all fell to him. Most notably, he survived my dwarf, and I bet he continues his rampage.

I think it greatly depends on how armored the recruits are - if they have some iron or bronze on, it extends their life expectancy greatly.

Ad topic - I think hydra's are vulnerable to really large groups of fanatic henchmen. I took 14 people to a quest to kill hydra, and just watched as my troops hacked it to death. It's amazing how they all fight to the death, seeing their comrade being bitten in half. I lost about 5 or 6 people.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:52:17 am by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.
Pages: [1] 2 3