Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Space Empires 5 Forum Aided Playthrough  (Read 5961 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Space Empires 5 Forum Aided Playthrough
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:27 pm »

Hey guys, just fancied starting a game with Space Empires 5, balance mod :).

We're going to be Terrans, with the boring Terran shipset, and the boring Terran picture, and the boring Terran Oxygen / Rock combo. But what should our gov / society type be? :D This is the first question I put to the forum. Later, I'll ask you things like perspectives on diplomatic relations, research and ship design.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Space Empires 5 Forum Aided Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »

Play Theocracy. Become Imperium of Man. Purge the xenos.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:33:54 pm »

I'll need a society type too  :D

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »

"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 07:20:46 pm »

Society type?

Eh, none of them quite fit. Pick Berzerkers, the Imperium places no value on the personal safety of their standard troops and it's horribly inefficient, xenophobic, bureaucratic and zealous, so the penalties fit and the bonuses will be useful.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:54 pm »

Righto, am running thru a practice game right now with Easy AI, and so far, it looks like I've got everyone under my thumb :)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:33 pm »

Hey guys, just fancied starting a game with Space Empires 5, balance mod :).

We're going to be Terrans, with the boring Terran shipset, and the boring Terran picture, and the boring Terran Oxygen / Rock combo. But what should our gov / society type be? :D This is the first question I put to the forum. Later, I'll ask you things like perspectives on diplomatic relations, research and ship design.

Watching.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:11:49 pm »

After a little basic experience you should be able to handle the toughest of AI without issue. Of course, that leaves plenty of room to have the AI cheat, such as by getting bonus resources and having all the AIs team up against you, or not spending any of your race points(or even, gulp, not using minefields...)... I would suggest trying the maximum AI difficulty but without any bonus resources, it should ake the AI more interesting without being doom doom doom. Also, if you take personal control of your ships in combat, instead of leaving them to their own devices, you can pull off some crazy mismatched death counts...

Humans be psychic! Make it happen! Xenophobic berserkers is fine by me....
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:12 pm »

Righto! Psychic Berzerker Religious Humies. XD Any objections? Anyone got any ideas for racial traits other than Psychic? I think Psychic leaves us with 1,000 (am thinking natural merchants myself, or cunning / genius combo.)

I'm not sure I can handle tough AI, RAM - I'm not the sharpest knife in the shed.  ;D However, in my test easy game I am doing quite well, so I think when I start (tommorow night I hope) I'll try medium :) Any thoughts about what tech I should first go for? For a laugh I have been trying torps / DUC and basic stuff, like armor and sensors, but I feel I should go Physics and Beam / Shields for maximum win. And maybe cheap boarding party / analysis if I'm lagging in tech.  ;)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 12:54:10 am »

I am not really a fan of DUCs myself, but they are cheap. I can't really comment on the value of early psychic weapons, but the research gets you a nice array of different options for only a single technology, and you will want the later stuff eventually. Physics and colonisation are technologies you will probably want, colonisation is pretty easy to steal if you get ship capture, or you might be able to simply trade for it, if that doesn't feel cheap... As for physics, it has some nice weapon options, and shields are pretty much superior to armour...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:26:12 pm »

Just building some unique AI races to combat (Drushocka, Eee, Cue Cappa, Jraenar etc. get quite stale after seeing them in SEIV and SEV over 20 times)  :)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

(I apologise in advance for any suicides that results from such terrible fiction)

The date : Star chart year 2400.

The subject : The first successful trial of the first prototype spacecraft designed to be able to transfer itself across warp points.

The man of the hour: Emperor Martin Tilearth.

It had been approximately two and a half centuries since the first Imperial funded spacecraft had attempted to conquer the mysterious spatial phenomenom known as warp points. For what seemed like an eternity, the secret of intersolar travel evaded the Empire's grasp. Now, after thousands of lives, trillions of credits and several lifetimes of scientific research, initiated personally by the esteemed Emperor Gavin Ree, Martin Tilearth's state - funded science ministry had done it. The first Imperial Vessel - known as the Harbinger - had successfully travelled two - ways through a warp point present in the home system of Vroarsca. The Harbinger was launched in 2399.6, and was the paltry size of 40kT, manned by twenty - two crewmen. Despite taking four star months for what was essentially a very small journey for a very small ship designed for speed, it's return in 2400.0 was seen as the maturation of Imperial intersolar travel. Martin Tilearth was extremely pleased with the results, and made a speech to the stunned public outside his palace.

"My people! It is I, your Emperor. Today marks the dawn of a new age - a great age - in the Empire of Mankind. Today, our Holy Ship - Blessed by the Divine Emperor Ree - Returned, having conquered the most feared of our foes during the past hundred years, the dread warp point. Today, we have proved that we can move out of this system, and into another. Today, my people - we shall let the entire galaxy know of the glory that is the Empire of Man!"

The people, lemmings as they were after hundreds of years of subtle propaganda and blunt oppression, burst out into an almighty cheer. A chant, spread by a few select agents of the Emperor, began to fill the air. "HUMAN RULE! HUMAN RULE! HUMAN RULE!" The thunderous voice rolled across the plaza. With the chant still mighty, the Emperor waved and retreated into his palace. There was much to be done before the Empire could truly claim to rule the galaxy.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:06 pm »

Woo! Now we just need to find a barren wasteland to send all our rivals to...
Read the First Post!

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 06:27:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Back in the council hall, the Emperor surveyed the star map of the Vroarsca system. Besides Sacred Earth, it contained two ice planets, three gas giants (one which sensors indicated had some sort of irregular debris on it), and two rock planets. The rock planets, indicated by a red circle, were the only ones in the system useful to Martin, as they were the only ones the colonization ships were equipped to handle. Martin thought how foresighted it was of Gavin Ree to run multiple other projects alongside the more celebrated 'warp point use' one. Now he would be able to spread the Empire not only to the surrounding solar system, but throughout the galaxy. He smiled to himself as the thoughts flowed through his mind.

Suddenly, or rather, relatively suddenly, as the minister was rather afraid of the Emperor, the Head Scientist of the Empire shuffled slowly into the chamber. He was, unlike the emperor, rather small and thin, and unconfident when questioned. Martin noticed him enter. "Come, Selph, we have not all the time in the world." The man nodded and quickened his pace in a rather obedient manner.

"My Emperor, you requested my attendance here today, at this time?" Selph nervously checked his watch.

"Yes, yes, that is correct. I have two things I wish to ask of you. First, what direction should our research take? I'd like a good foundation for an intergalactic empire. Something general, but strong to start out with."

Almost without thinking Selph said "Physics, my Emperor. We need to further study Physics."

Martin's eyes narrowed. "What good is Physics to ruling an empire?" He quizzed in a slightly aggravated fashion.

Selph knelt, trembling. "My Emperor, Physics is important for two main reasons. One, we can, with further research, invent shields..."

Martin's expression softened slightly.

"Also, my Emperor, we can devise destructive Meson Blasters and Anti Proton Beams. There's more I have planned, but..."

Martin cut him off. "Don't worry, Selph. I knew I could trust you to do the best for the Empire. Physics shall be the nation's scientific target at once."

Selph, still slightly nervous, quietly asked, "Emperor...What was the second thing you wanted to talk about?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Martin gave a proud, gentle smile. "You've got a huge starting bonus. We stockpiled months of lab time just for this moment, and now's when to use it." Truly, he thought, Gavin Ree was a genius.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 06:07:07 am »

Go get solar panels. That way you can just stick one or two on your scout ship design and never have to bring them back to refuel. Also make sure all your colony ships are set on Ram Them Until They Give Up mode. And did you end up picking natural merchants up or not? That can have big effects on your best colonizing strategy.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2 3