Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whips (or other blunt weps) + targeted strikes = prolonged torture?  (Read 1225 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could one choose to continuously strike a child in the legs and never have them die?

I understand with bladed weapons there is always the possibility of the enemy bleeding out but this isn't the case with blunt weapons right?

I'm pretty sure IRL enough damage would at least cause internal bleeding resulting in death.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Whips (or other blunt weps) + targeted strikes = prolonged torture?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »

Could one choose to continuously strike a child in the legs and never have them die?

I understand with bladed weapons there is always the possibility of the enemy bleeding out but this isn't the case with blunt weapons right?

I'm pretty sure IRL enough damage would at least cause internal bleeding resulting in death.
Blunt weapons can still cause arteries to tear and bleedouts to occur.  But, It allows for easier headshots (as soon as a headstrike opens up, BAM their dead.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:14 pm »

I believe whips are actually extra damaging.  Because of the way Toady's math works (or worked, if he changed it), even though whips don't have edges, they have such a small contact area to concentrate their strike on that it winds up behaving like a sword anyway, blowing through flesh and severing limbs.  Unless Toady messed with it.  Obviously, you'll just have to try it and find out.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:56 pm »

Rest assured, whips remain the Dwarven lightsabers they were in 0.31.16.  Just about every blow will chip, shatter, break, or sever something as long as it's at least somewhat square a hit.
Sanity is for the weak.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »

Whips I believe are even more powerful in this version, as enemies aim their strikes. Meaning you have a supersonic sword heading for all your weakspots.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 11:09:13 pm »

Killing something with an axe sure took a while.  Had to cut off feet, arms etc etc until the damn thing bled to death.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »

whips are very effective.. A lucky/opportunity shot at the head that hits, seems to insta-kill more often then not.. mostly because it hits the skull hard enough at a small enough area to break the skull and cause it to puncture the brain..
That being said, i havent found a weapon that doesn't insta-kill with a lucky/opportunity shot at the head [more often then not if hit]...

...which seems relatively realistic...

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:33:37 pm »

I have never seen a whip flay limbs from a body.  Most of my whips shots are bruising, sometimes chipping bones, occasionally breaking them, and rarely sending shards flying through other body parts (not counting skull shots on that last one.)  Throwing silver arrows seems to be more deadly (i one shotted a goblin through armor with one of those.  Did some damage to a hydra too.)

Also, Hydra's now dont die from one head being destroyed, you need to destroy many.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:25:00 am »

I've only rarely seen a whip strike sever a body part myself.  You basically need both an unconscious opponent and a lucky strike.  And even then, your odds of success are pretty low.  In general, however, whips are utter death machines when applied directly to your target's head.  For solid hits and above, they almost always jam the skull into the brain.  I've killed more than a few monstrosities that way now, and managed to do that to 5 heads on a Hydra.
Sanity is for the weak.