Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?  (Read 27672 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »

Well that would make sense.  Embarking in on electric-emerald layer and realizing you didn't bring any food because coach-leather spawn didn't look like a plant and the only native plant, narrow orchids are inedible, so all your Cats of Flame starve wouldn't be Fun so much as Dadaism.
Now I really, really...really want to play Dadaist Fortress.  "Electric-emerald layer" had me hooked right away.  It might not be generable, but if you made this as a mod, by golly I'd play it.

It sits at the foot of your bed, mewling pitifully.
The room goes cold, frost forming on the stone walls.
Your candle flickers, you pull the blanket tighter around you.
The ghost kittens have arrived.
I'm picturing ghost kittens in the style of Supernatural, seeming to flicker in and out of existance like a TV with intermittant reception, moving across the room in a flash.  Woah.
And a murderous ghost kitten would be more like Paranormal Activity. Wierd shit keeps happening around the room, strange pressure on your chest as you try to sleep. It can't quite kill you, it's too small, but it is trying.

So like a normal cat, then?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2010, 08:45:53 pm »

And a murderous ghost kitten would be more like Paranormal Activity. Wierd shit keeps happening around the room, strange pressure on your chest as you try to sleep. It can't quite kill you, it's too small, but it is trying.
So like a normal cat, then?
Yes, now I think about it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:27 pm »

So, when ghosts appear, does the game pause and zoom, or is this something that might surprise me? I have a fair number of corpses I can't inter suddenly...

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »

So, when ghosts appear, does the game pause and zoom, or is this something that might surprise me? I have a fair number of corpses I can't inter suddenly...

It's just a normal announcement, and they actually show up before the announcement sometimes.

You can engrave a slab for them, it'll quiet the ghost.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »

So I was thinking, if a ghost can organize parties and have pets, that must mean the game still treats them as a living creature to seem degree. Perhaps this includes a variety of other social interactions, including the ability for a ghostly dwarf to become mayor?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »

I think they would still make mandates.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2010, 10:15:44 pm »

I think they would still make mandates.

Who cares? You'd have a ghost for a mayor. That invalidates any ridiculous mandates he makes due to how awesome it is.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »

Maybe they're still under Dwarven jurisdiction due to a bug. If so, I want to see a ghost get beaten for violating a production order.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2010, 11:15:47 pm »

is there any way to get bogey man invasion in fortress mode? I'd very much like bogeyman ambushers in the cavern and bogeyman "assassins" materializing next to dwarves who sleep in the mud
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

Maybe they're still under Dwarven jurisdiction due to a bug. If so, I want to see a ghost get beaten for violating a production order.

Poor Goden died after receiving only 3 of his 5 hammer strokes, but he came back as a ghost. Ever since then, the hammerer has constantly followed his apparition whenever it appeared, attempting to deal to it the remaining 2 strokes.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:06 pm »

Poor Goden died after receiving only 3 of his 5 hammer strokes, but he came back as a ghost. Ever since then, the hammerer has constantly followed his apparition whenever it appeared, attempting to deal to it the remaining 2 strokes.
What an admirable sense of duty!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2010, 01:18:50 am »

Haunting him, if you will.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2010, 02:16:29 am »

Imagine if Goden came back as a murderous ghost.

"This is for using a silver hammer instead of the adamantine one the Overseer so generously gave you!"

Urist McHammerer has been scared to death!
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2010, 07:39:29 pm »

Ghostly Hammerer.  Locking him in a small room won't work.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

Well this is interesting.

Had a glassmaker go beserk and die because I couldn't fulfill his Strange Mood. He came back as a violent ghost and started beating on dorfs. Looking at the ghost, it says he is the creator of adol Orrun, (male sign). Presumably, this is the artifact he failed to create in life. GHOST ARTIFACTS!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17