Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?  (Read 27665 times)

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen anyone else ask... what's new with 31.17?
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:15 am »

Well that would make sense.  Embarking in on electric-emerald layer and realizing you didn't bring any food because coach-leather spawn didn't look like a plant and the only native plant, narrow orchids are inedible, so all your Cats of Flame starve wouldn't be Fun so much as Dadaism.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2010, 09:04:44 am »

As I said, the 'normal' stuff should be the same from game to game. Animals and plants and such. Just the mythic stuff would change.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:21 am »

From wiki:

Types of ghosts:
A murderous ghost.
A sadistic ghost.
A violent ghost.
An angry ghost.
A moaning spirit returned from the dead. It will generally trouble one unfortunate at a time.
A howling spirit. The ceaseless noise is making sleep difficult.
A secretive poltergeist.
An energetic poltergeist.
A troublesome poltergeist.
A restless haunt, generally troubling past acquaintances and relatives.
A forlorn haunt, seeking out known locations or drifting around the place of death.
They cause bad thoughts and, in the case of murderous ghosts, can outright kill dwarves, literally scaring them to death. Special abilities of some "poltergeists" unknown.
Secretive poltergeists can "misplace" items.

Sadistic ghost? What does it do, rape dwarves in their sleep?

Take a look at the talk page - I looked further into a string dump and found a bunch of things that ghosts appear to be capable of doing.
Compact list: cause "winded"/"fever"/"nausea"/"extreme pain"/"dizzy"/"paralyzed"/"stun", induce tantrum, misplace items, throw stuff, and make lots of noise
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2010, 01:27:07 pm »

I've noticed a bunch of extra darkness in the goblins in mark17.

In the region map, I can see
a bunch of dark goblin dark fortresses of lalala,
when ruined however, these turn into a dark dark fortress of bla bla.

I guess this is a small bug where 'goblin' is removed (instead of dark goblin) when goblins no longer own the site, leaving a dark dark ruin.
I wonder where the extra dark matter came from, (I'm sure Hawking cannot help here), maybe it is added when a goblin civ worships darkness or a demon?

I should post this in the dev thread. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »

Anyone know how to get rid of ghosts? I lost a miner to a magma dig (MUST POWER THE FURNACES!) early on so his body...um.. "Could not be recovered".  So he got the normal coffin but nothing inside.  He is a ghost, he knocks over shit every once in a while.  I got lucky and my second artifact was a coffin! Woots - so I made a nice 3x3 tomb area, put in the artifact coffin, and assigned it to him.   It still says "Urist McAngry Ghostly Miner" - I was hoping it at some point (now that he has a pimpin' tomb) his ghost would leave. 

What's the secret?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »

Since you can't recover and inter the body, you need a memorial instead. To build one, make a slab at a mason's workshop, carve a memorial to the appropriate dwarf with the slab at a craftdwarf's shop, then place it someplace as with a statue or other piece of furniture. The ghost will then believe themself to have been properly memorialized, and will be at peace.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2010, 10:26:22 pm »

Thanks so much Necro!  Will do once .18 gets out - my entire front gate is covered in disk traps so its getting hit hard by the crash bug. 

thanks again!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2010, 11:56:14 pm »

I just had a merchant go berserk (i was angry and locked them in), and after rotting and a few months lying in the dirt, come back as a violent ghost and break the head craftsmans' leg: "this is for offering cheap goods at huge profit margins for me and refusing to accept my refusal of your awesome deal!"
I then had him memorialized to get rid of him. I noticed however in his profile on the units list that his profile has been fully fleshed out like a normal member of your fortress. He's even up a the top of the list where normal dwarves would be.

I'm pretty sure I didn't see this mentioned here before.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2010, 04:09:23 pm »

Ah yes, ghost weaponisation. They can't be contained, but they tend to haunt the place where they died. In the best case, if the undead work the way I hope they do, we could torture a group of dwarves into insanity, and then dump them from an entrance drawbridge into a killing pit. The pit full of angry ghosts could then be used to drop invaders into, and get them scared to death.

Just discovered you can change the status of a ghost by laying them to rest and then destroying the slab. I had a ghost laid to rest, uprooted the slab and crushed it under a drawbridge. Ghost came back murderous. So this is very possible.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »

Now that the trap crash has been fixed, does anyone know if its safe to bring my fort from .16 to .18? Or will that break anything else?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

Well that would make sense.  Embarking in on electric-emerald layer and realizing you didn't bring any food because coach-leather spawn didn't look like a plant and the only native plant, narrow orchids are inedible, so all your Cats of Flame starve wouldn't be Fun so much as Dadaism.
Now I really, really...really want to play Dadaist Fortress.  "Electric-emerald layer" had me hooked right away.  It might not be generable, but if you made this as a mod, by golly I'd play it.

It sits at the foot of your bed, mewling pitifully.
The room goes cold, frost forming on the stone walls.
Your candle flickers, you pull the blanket tighter around you.
The ghost kittens have arrived.
I'm picturing ghost kittens in the style of Supernatural, seeming to flicker in and out of existance like a TV with intermittant reception, moving across the room in a flash.  Woah.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »

Now I really, really...really want to play Dadaist Fortress.  "Electric-emerald layer" had me hooked right away.  It might not be generable, but if you made this as a mod, by golly I'd play it.

It sits at the foot of your bed, mewling pitifully.
The room goes cold, frost forming on the stone walls.
Your candle flickers, you pull the blanket tighter around you.
The ghost kittens have arrived.
I'm picturing ghost kittens in the style of Supernatural, seeming to flicker in and out of existance like a TV with intermittant reception, moving across the room in a flash.  Woah.
And a murderous ghost kitten would be more like Paranormal Activity. Wierd shit keeps happening around the room, strange pressure on your chest as you try to sleep. It can't quite kill you, it's too small, but it is trying.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2010, 07:07:16 pm »

And a murderous ghost kitten would be more like Paranormal Activity. Wierd shit keeps happening around the room, strange pressure on your chest as you try to sleep. It can't quite kill you, it's too small, but it is trying.
Zombie sparrows and mice left outside your door... a ball of wool is mysteriously unravelled to form a tangled noose around your neck... all the meat pies in the stockpiles begin to glow blue and mewl...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2010, 07:22:48 pm »

Zombie sparrows and mice left outside your door... a ball of wool is mysteriously unravelled to form a tangled noose around your neck... all the meat pies in the stockpiles begin to glow blue and mewl...

BUT WHO WAS BALL OF WOOL

sorry... couldn't help myself... been reading creepypasta lately...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2010, 07:32:24 pm »

In my current save, the liaison and caravan from my home civ had just arrived, so I tried porting over to .18 to see if the Baron fix was working.

It didn't work for me, but the liaison was already on the map, so that might make a difference. I got the standard "lets make a trade agreement" dialog.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17